Different LCD?

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a new Venue 8 Pro at Office Depot with a Micro Center price match of $259. I had one I purchased at Walmart for $299 which I just returned. The difference between the display on the two units was quite noticeable. The display on the Office Depot unit is sharper and has what I feel more accurate color. Definitely not as warm as the other unit which I felt didn't produce accurate whites. Even the blacks are richer on the new unit. I'm wondering if there is more than one LCD supplier as the difference is much pronounced. They were only purchased within a week of each other.

smuook

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
No difference. You most likely had the autobrightness set to on the Walmart one and I bet it is off on your new one.

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Well I had the auto brightness off as had been suggested by all the articles I saw. Both side by side set at the same level of brightness but the newer unit has a whiter screen and is slightly clearer.

TrackSmart

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I had the auto brightness off as had been suggested by all the articles I saw. Both side by side set at the same level of brightness but the newer unit has a whiter screen and is slightly clearer.

I'm not surprised. Many laptop and tablet makers source their displays from a range of companies. Also, there is variation even within the same display model from the same manufacturer. They usually try to ensure that a minimum quality and brightness standard is met, but some displays will be somewhat better than others. There will also be better and worse calibration from the factory, even if the hardware is 100% identical (which it isn't). Hopefully they are in the same ballpark in terms of quality, even if different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa