Is the Dell active stylus the only option?

Mike Campbell5

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Venue 8 Pro from Costco for $229 and I LOVE IT! Its quick, thin, and the screen is surprisingly impressive considering the fact that it isn't 1080P. I want to get a stylus but the reviews on the Dell stylus are so bad that I don't dare. Has anyone uses an alternative that's worth buying? A Best Buy employee tried to convince me that the surface pro stylus would work with it if I downloaded the right drivers but I don't think I buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Venue 8 Pro from Costco for $229 and I LOVE IT! Its quick, thin, and the screen is surprisingly impressive considering the fact that it isn't 1080P. I want to get a stylus but the reviews on the Dell stylus are so bad that I don't dare. Has anyone uses an alternative that's worth buying? A Best Buy employee tried to convince me that the surface pro stylus would work with it if I downloaded the right drivers but I don't think I buy it.

Mine just arrived yesterday with the stylus. First thing I did was install the critical stylus update from Dell before I gave it a go. I sat there for 10 min trying to figure out how to use the stylus and could not for the life of me figure out how to get the screen to recognize it. I tried for 10 min, touching the screen with it, trying to write something, trying to paint something, hovering it, waving it, pressing the 2 buttons on it and I think after 10 min I fluked out something and got it to highlight some text then it stopped doing anything again. Either my stylus is faulty or I clearly don't know what to do with it.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine just arrived yesterday with the stylus. First thing I did was install the critical stylus update from Dell before I gave it a go. I sat there for 10 min trying to figure out how to use the stylus and could not for the life of me figure out how to get the screen to recognize it. I tried for 10 min, touching the screen with it, trying to write something, trying to paint something, hovering it, waving it, pressing the 2 buttons on it and I think after 10 min I fluked out something and got it to highlight some text then it stopped doing anything again. Either my stylus is faulty or I clearly don't know what to do with it.
I hear a lot of them are shipping with dead batteries. Probably want to look into that.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Surface Pro stylus will not work as the digitizer is a different technology. The Dell uses a synaptics device. However a capacitive stylus also works, but lacks the precision that the Synaptics should deliver.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Once you run the critical update, it seems like the issues are pretty much taken care of. But as previously stated, a plain capacitive stylus will do the trick.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have owned several tablets .. 3 of them had a different stylus ..
Samsung State 7 (Windows 8) Stylus does NOT work
Lenovo Convertible Laptop ( I think this one used a Wacom digitizer ) Does not work on the DVP
HP Slate 2 - Does not work on the DVP ...

I ordered one from Dell but it tells me delivery is sometime in January, I forget when.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My stylus is here! Yay! Will take Some getting used to. Not even Close to A wacom Stylus. Trying to use it now.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
i looked but do not see a way of changing the way the stylus writes. it writes a very thin line but i usually change it to medium. Is that possible with this tablet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6