Broke my DVP in less than a day :(

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got my DVP last night. Set it all up, installed my fav apps... Then I might have been over ambitious with doing a little testing of some PC games just to see what would run and what wouldn't. I had just installed Rayman Legends (which btw looked great but a little laggy) and I tried to quit the game. Well it quit but then my desktop froze. So I powered it off with the power button for 5 sec and rebooted. Well my luck, straight to a blue screen. Then it failed to boot to Windows so it attempted a repair of my start up. Which is on a never ending cycle of failing.

Tried system restore but no restore points were made yet. Not wanting to reset or refresh if I don't have to. But it may be my only option. I went to refresh then realized the first thing I did was freed up some space by moving my recovery image to a USB stick at home. Awesome..

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Just got my DVP last night. Set it all up, installed my fav apps... Then I might have been over ambitious with doing a little testing of some PC games just to see what would run and what wouldn't. I had just installed Rayman Legends (which btw looked great but a little laggy) and I tried to quit the game. Well it quit but then my desktop froze. So I powered it off with the power button for 5 sec and rebooted. Well my luck, straight to a blue screen. Then it failed to boot to Windows so it attempted a repair of my start up. Which is on a never ending cycle of failing.

Tried system restore but no restore points were made yet. Not wanting to reset or refresh if I don't have to. But it may be my only option. I went to refresh then realized the first thing I did was freed up some space by moving my recovery image to a USB stick at home. Awesome..

Damn now I know what's causing all that traffic on the Don Valley Parkway :p

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I have one of these waiting for me at microcenter as an open box for $195. The good and bad of this device is making my decision a difficult one.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The nice thing about a DVP is that it is a PC, so a Windows reinstall is always an option. Boot to a USB drive with the Win8 install ISO.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The nice thing about a DVP is that it is a PC, so a Windows reinstall is always an option. Boot to a USB drive with the Win8 install ISO.

Yes somehow that easy option wasn't so easy for me. I had about 6 options to try to get mine back up and running but because I deleted the recovery image to free up space that messed up everything. When I got home I plugged in that USB that I transferred it over to but still couldn't find a way to use it. I fiddled with the options again for a while and right when I felt like all hope was lost suddenly it allowed me to do a "reset". Thank god..

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise on mine - it's actually not a difficult process, just takes some finagling. Probably a good idea to get a USB hub (powered would be even better). Plug in your USB drive and keyboard/mouse to the hub, then into your DVP. When it boots, you can press Volume (Down, I think?) or F12 to get a boot menu, pick your boot device, then go through and install Windows (or get to a repair console) like you would normally, no drama. You'll want to download the Broadcom WLAN drivers and Intel chipset drivers from Dell's website before you begin and get them on the USB drive. You'll have no internet on first boot since it needs those WLAN drivers. The Intel chipset drivers handle fast sleep/resume, touchscreen, lots of other stuff - you'll want to install that quickly as well.

Just in case you're ever stuck again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa