12-16-2013 07:17 PM
106 ... 345
tools
    Maybe if you explain that the promotion was already over and lasted maybe about 1 minute.
    Depending on your location it lasted longer than that. Where I was you could have walked in a full 40 minutes after the line started forming at 0700 am and gotten it for $99. Walmart would have been open for 40 minutes where I live. The problem is Walmart like many corporations believes in false advertising. They say they will price match but when you actually show up they will try and weasel out of honoring their promise any way they can. And in the case of this gentleman they may even try and arrest you.

I had a similar thing happen at Best Buy. Ironically it was when they were asked to price match Walmart. They lied and said they don't price match. I had to go over the managers head and call someone higher up in the organization who told me to go back to the store and they would price match. Of course once I went back the guy changed his story to we don't have the item in that color. They did direct me to another Walmart that cooperated without a problem. Walmart and Best Buy will be dishonest about price matching if given the chance so I wouldn't get too bothered about bending the rules with them. I just wanted people to know just because something works at one Walmart doesn't mean it is going to work somewhere else.

Driving conditions in much of the country were awful the day this deal hit and it would have been insane where I was to drive around on icy streets from Walmart to Walmart to try and find one that was willing to play ball.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-11-2013 08:25 AM
    What the heck, just get over it already an quit trying to scam. Life isn't fair, move on, sheesh.
    Homie, I have zero intention of buying this tablet. I'm just having a discussion about Walmart's price matching policy. I don't even know if I have an opinion either way. I'm reasoning through the moral questions posed by Microsoft promotions and Walmart's promotions. That's all. Take a chill pill. I'm not trying to "scam" anyone.
    12-11-2013 08:48 AM
    Depending on your location it lasted longer than that. Where I was you could have walked in a full 40 minutes after the line started forming at 0700 am and gotten it for $99. Walmart would have been open for 40 minutes where I live. The problem is Walmart like many corporations believes in false advertising. They say they will price match but when you actually show up they will try and weasel out of honoring their promise any way they can. And in the case of this gentleman they may even try and arrest you.

I had a similar thing happen at Best Buy. Ironically it was when they were asked to price match Walmart. They lied and said they don't price match. I had to go over the managers head and call someone higher up in the organization who told me to go back to the store and they would price match. Of course once I went back the guy changed his story to we don't have the item in that color. They did direct me to another Walmart that cooperated without a problem. Walmart and Best Buy will be dishonest about price matching if given the chance so I wouldn't get too bothered about bending the rules with them. I just wanted people to know just because something works at one Walmart doesn't mean it is going to work somewhere else.

Driving conditions in much of the country were awful the day this deal hit and it would have been insane where I was to drive around on icy streets from Walmart to Walmart to try and find one that was willing to play ball.
    I doubt that they match promotions where only 20 people in as MS store qualify. Im not sure about their policy about regarding 1-day specials.

Remember what price matching is. It's to get you to purchase a product there as opposed to elsewhere. If it's not going to be available elsewhere for sure, like the $99 deal that you'd have no chance of getting, then it's not really a match. There's nothing to match because you really do not have the other option.

You may think that businesses do shady advertising. Okay.

What you control is you. There's a fine line between trying to negotiate for the best deal and scamming. And if we're honest with ourselves, we inherently know when we're trying to do the latter.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-11-2013 10:36 AM
    Our local WalMart informed me that they only match prices to items in physical stores that reside within a certain radial proximity to the actual WM store. It was worth a try though. :)
    12-11-2013 11:27 AM
    I doubt that they match promotions where only 20 people in as MS store qualify. Im not sure about their policy about regarding 1-day specials.

Remember what price matching is. It's to get you to purchase a product there as opposed to elsewhere. If it's not going to be available elsewhere for sure, like the $99 deal that you'd have no chance of getting, then it's not really a match. There's nothing to match because you really do not have the other option.

You may think that businesses do shady advertising. Okay.

What you control is you. There's a fine line between trying to negotiate for the best deal and scamming. And if we're honest with ourselves, we inherently know when we're trying to do the latter.
    I don't think that it would be scamming to go after the 1 day promotion. The first 20 in the doors promotion, any Walmart store manager that reads the terms of the deal should be able to reject. But the one day promotion, why not?
    12-11-2013 12:47 PM
    Remember what price matching is. It's to get you to purchase a product there as opposed to elsewhere.
    Like I said in a previous post where I was you could have walked up to the MSFT store forty minutes after Walmart opened and gotten the tablet for $99. Walmart had an entire 40 minutes to price match the item. And I really doubt most Walmarts had 20 Dell Venue 8 Pros in stock. So if they really did live up to their price matching guarantee they would have sold out long before MSFT did. People would be leaving the Walmart to go wait in line at MSFT! Anyway regardless of distance, door buster, printed ad, whatever I've gotten denied totally legit in the clear price matches at all these places because the deal was too good and the people went back on their word.
    12-16-2013 07:17 PM
106 ... 345