tips and suggestions?

gnd1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got this the other day. My laptop has Windows 7 on it. I have a Lumina 521 phone so I am somewhat familiar with 8.1. Still can use some help. Do I need to worry about leaving programs and windows open? I wish that there was a fast way of checking and closing them. Already I have had tons of updates d/l for this. I realize updates are important for a Windows computer, but won't this fill up my empty space very fast? Is there any reason that I should download and use app's instead of just going to the web pages(Facebook, Twitter, news, etc)? I like this, but its not as easy and simple as an I pad or Nexus tablet. I will probably keep this(got a fantastic deal- $113 for it and a nice folio) but need find an easier way to operate it.
thanks

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it is good to close apps, but it's no big deal if you keep them on. The updates won't take much space because I think they remove the files they update. About the apps you will have to use what works best for you. If you like the webpage, use that but if you like the app, use that :wink:

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Do I need to worry about leaving programs and windows open? I wish that there was a fast way of checking and closing them.
You don't really need to worry, but if you want to see and close them, do a short swipe from the left side (then swipe back in the opposite direction without lifting finger) to see what's open. You can grab anything from there and close them by dragging them to the bottom.

Already I have had tons of updates d/l for this. I realize updates are important for a Windows computer, but won't this fill up my empty space very fast?
Not sure. Maybe not? I think most act as replacements. You can view installed updates in the same place you can uninstall programs in desktop mode.

Is there any reason that I should download and use app's instead of just going to the web pages(Facebook, Twitter, news, etc)?
The apps are useful for their notifications while being anywhere on Windows 8.1 and on the lock screen. Live Tiles can also let you know about notifications. Of course, apps help you get to things faster and more directly than using the browser. If you would prefer using the browser (like I do for Facebook most of the time), you can just pin the website to the desktop taskbar and/or the Start screen.

I like this, but its not as easy and simple as an I pad or Nexus tablet. I will probably keep this(got a fantastic deal- $113 for it and a nice folio) but need find an easier way to operate it.
thanks
Even before Windows 8 came out, I looked over Windows' website and learned how to use the OS. Use this resource if you need it. It's actually not all that complicated, but it can get some getting used to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett