03-10-2014 03:34 PM
98 1234
tools
    Well dell just informed me that there is a halt on the stylus production. They are not sure if it will ship Feb 19 or later than that. There seems to be an issue with them sending me the ones they have. They are not good and they would have to replace it. Wow they tell me they won't send me one until they fix the problems.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-10-2014 09:22 PM
    I kind of thought something like this was going on. It seemed like more than an out of stock issue when it became so hard to find the listing on the website. So they were suggesting February as a time when they would start shipping again?
    01-11-2014 09:11 AM
    Yep Feb or later if they can't get it fixed quickly. Sucks cuz I wanted it to just use for the small point and close apps, folders, things of that nature.
    01-11-2014 09:45 AM
    I spoke with them online today. They told me that it's temporarily unavailable because it's out of stock. I asked them if there was a problem with the hardware because I was thinking about getting one from EBay. They told me that there was no problem with the hardware (which I don't believe) and it will be available in the future.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-11-2014 05:16 PM
    People have gotten a lot of conflicting stories. I read on another forum they were revising the pen a new version of it would be out in February sometime.

The chances of you getting a usable pen right now is probably about 1 out of 3, so I'm not sure you really want one.
    01-11-2014 06:15 PM
    I've been talking to Dell on the phone many times, have had my stylus replaced twice, never worked. But last time I called them, they told me that they redesigned the stylus, new version, new price (at least, that's what the guy told me.) They're sending me one to test it out, should arrive in the next day or two.
    xandros9 and Kavu2 like this.
    01-15-2014 03:15 PM
    I've been talking to Dell on the phone many times, have had my stylus replaced twice, never worked. But last time I called them, they told me that they redesigned the stylus, new version, new price (at least, that's what the guy told me.) They're sending me one to test it out, should arrive in the next day or two.
    Please keep us up to date if it is a new design/revision.

TIA
    01-16-2014 03:26 PM
    So I got a pen delivered from eBay last night (ordered it about 9 days ago so that was a pretty good turnaround). I believe it was shipped from Hong Kong and so far it's been responding ok. I did have an issue where the pen seemed to stop working at all but I re-seated the battery and that fixed the issue. I've seen a few weird moments where it's seemed to triple-click when I accidentally hold down a button, but otherwise for inking it's been good so far.

Anyway point being, you can pick them up from eBay (30 rather than Dell's 38 and with free delivery) and they seem to work. Just make sure you're buying a Dell active stylus and not some poor capacitive stylus.
    01-17-2014 04:23 AM
    So, only the Dell Stylus will work with this? Has anybody used another stylus that works?
    01-20-2014 12:37 PM
    So, only the Dell Stylus will work with this? Has anybody used another stylus that works?
    Yes only the Dell active stylus will work.
    01-20-2014 02:06 PM
    Well, technically a capacitive stylus would work, but I wouldn't recommend it compared to the active stylus as the Venue 8 Pro won't known that it's a stylus so won't reject your palm resting against the screen
    01-21-2014 06:01 AM
    So where on Ebay did you find Dell stylii for that price? I just looked and the only ones I found were over $100US.

So I got a pen delivered from eBay last night (ordered it about 9 days ago so that was a pretty good turnaround). I believe it was shipped from Hong Kong and so far it's been responding ok. I did have an issue where the pen seemed to stop working at all but I re-seated the battery and that fixed the issue. I've seen a few weird moments where it's seemed to triple-click when I accidentally hold down a button, but otherwise for inking it's been good so far.

Anyway point being, you can pick them up from eBay (30 rather than Dell's 38 and with free delivery) and they seem to work. Just make sure you're buying a Dell active stylus and not some poor capacitive stylus.
    01-22-2014 06:10 AM
    So, Dell called me the other day and informed me that the new version of the stylus that they were sending me was still in production and wasn't ready for consumer use yet. He told me it should arrive in 2-4 weeks. I'll keep you guys posted on any updates I receive.
    David Rittenhouse likes this.
    01-22-2014 02:36 PM
    So where on Ebay did you find Dell stylii for that price? I just looked and the only ones I found were over $100US.
    I got it from this ebay seller: theopensurfacepl on eBay but I see that he currently doesn't have any more in stock now. I'm sure there will be more later on

Original listing, just in case people don't believe me : BRAND NEW DELL ACTIVE STYLUS FOR DELL VENUE 8 PRO // VENUE 11 PRO // XPS 11 | eBay
    01-23-2014 06:05 AM
    Ordered the stylus at Christmas from Dell.ca when it was on sale.
    Just got a shipping notification today. Previously it wasn't supposed to ship until an estimated Feb 17th.
    Hopefully the *new* version.
    01-28-2014 09:58 PM
    I wouldn't count on it. At least one person on another forum just had one shipped to them in the last couple days, and it's the same old pen. The "new" one is not expected until late Feb or early March from what I've been reading.
    01-29-2014 02:45 PM
    Well I am hoping as they should have totally pulled the old ones otherwise there shouldn't have been the long delay.
    I don't know how to tell the old from the new right now obviously.
    01-29-2014 09:36 PM
    My stylus ordered over a month ago arrived today and it is indeed the old Rev 00.

I tried it right away and it was aweful. I then reluctantly installed the "Urgent" firmware update which gave me black screen issues on reboot awhile ago.
    The pen worked pretty much flawless after that so far.

Also, after 3 Restarts no black screen issue after login. So far so good and not bad for $20 from Dell.ca
    01-31-2014 05:14 PM
    I take back what I said last week. The hover clicks on this thing are awful and make it unuseable.
    02-03-2014 12:55 PM
    so i was checking dells web site for the stylus... although you cant order the stylus for home use... (showing not buy button) but if you go through small business link you can add a stylus with the purchase of new venue pro teblet. WTF dell, you wont sell home consumer the stylus but you wont mind selling it to small business... just so you dont lose more profit.. dell sucks now. there was a time when their products were better and didnt need to troubleshoot every 2 mins.
    02-03-2014 02:45 PM
    Well, you can order it through the small business site, but they won't it ship it since, y'know, it's out of stock. I tried. So you can get off of your soapbox now.
    02-04-2014 10:47 AM
    You can officially order one now, Shipping in 3 to 5 weeks.
    Dell Active Stylus for Dell Tablets (Windows) : Tablets & Mobile Accessories | Dell
    02-05-2014 04:14 PM
    You can officially order one now, Shipping in 3 to 5 weeks.
    Dell Active Stylus for Dell Tablets (Windows) : Tablets & Mobile Accessories | Dell
    I'll wait a couple weeks. When they change it to "shipping in 1 to 3 weeks" then I'll know they're serious about delivering it and I'll order it then.
    02-05-2014 05:29 PM
    Is this the crappy rev00 or the new one??
    02-05-2014 08:48 PM
    Is this the crappy rev00 or the new one??
    There's no way to tell. But given the shipping date, it is probably the new revision.
    02-05-2014 08:54 PM
98 1234