Dell Active Stylus M.I.A.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
iPad has never supported digitizer type stylus and yet ppl/consumer never complains.

Besides, it is not using the Watcom digitizer (the only one that really matters for those do prefer stylus) because Dell wants to cut the costs in order to sell the tablet cheaper. So, it is not like the technology is already matured like Watcom.

Yes you are correct to a certain point, not disagreeing but the reason why people don't complain about the ipad is because it doesn't SUPPORT a digitizer type stylus.

And yes wacom is surely the best but it doesn't negate the fact that Dell shouldn't be selling a faulty device or incomplete one at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, that is the normal practice for everyone. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One are fully functional when they released last year. Most devices, including my Nexus 5, requires one update immediately out of box.

The only way to fight this is not to buy a premature product. If no one buys this Dell Venue 8 Pro last year, Dell will not try this again next time around. For what I know so far, the Venue 8 Pro released with following issues:
* WiFi problem. Some are Microsoft issue and some are chipset issue. Seems ok now.
* Touch screen issue. Mostly fixed by a recent touch panel firmware update but still not 100%.
* Miracast issue. Caused by both Microsoft and Intel chipset driver. Requires update to latest Windows updates and latest intel drivers to work.
* Stylus issue. The touch panel firmware update addressed some issues. Whether or not the new revision makes it any better remains to be seen.
* Fragile USB port issue. Not sure if there is any update on that.

So, IMO, the tablet is just usable until recently. I feel sorry for those purchased this tablet last year. For me, I just purchased this a week ago. Out of box, it is a miserable experience until I manually installed all the updates.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, that is the normal practice for everyone. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One are fully functional when they released last year. Most devices, including my Nexus 5, requires one update immediately out of box.

The only way to fight this is not to buy a premature product. If no one buys this Dell Venue 8 Pro last year, Dell will not try this again next time around. For what I know so far, the Venue 8 Pro released with following issues:
* WiFi problem. Some are Microsoft issue and some are chipset issue. Seems ok now.
* Touch screen issue. Mostly fixed by a recent touch panel firmware update but still not 100%.
* Miracast issue. Caused by both Microsoft and Intel chipset driver. Requires update to latest Windows updates and latest intel drivers to work.
* Stylus issue. The touch panel firmware update addressed some issues. Whether or not the new revision makes it any better remains to be seen.
* Fragile USB port issue. Not sure if there is any update on that.

So, IMO, the tablet is just usable until recently. I feel sorry for those purchased this tablet last year. For me, I just purchased this a week ago. Out of box, it is a miserable experience until I manually installed all the updates.

Good catch on all of these. +1 for updates. For some, either the device(s) will be perfect the way they are or they will have to continue to search for one. I just keep in mind price and product.

Unfortunately there is noone device to rule them all... Yet ;)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Saying its a miserable experience out of the box is a bit much, got mine last year and had very few problems: had only 1 occurrence of WiFi failing, good battery life and performance, and the updates have resolved other issues like touch screen sensitivity. Only outstanding issue is the stylus and if the revision fixes the issues the Dell will be an excellent all rounder and at current prices N unbelievable bargain.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Saying its a miserable experience out of the box is a bit much, got mine last year and had very few problems: had only 1 occurrence of WiFi failing, good battery life and performance, and the updates have resolved other issues like touch screen sensitivity. Only outstanding issue is the stylus and if the revision fixes the issues the Dell will be an excellent all rounder and at current prices N unbelievable bargain.

I totally agree! The biggest thing for me is price! As a working husband and a student, I needed something that was super portable and something that could handle office apps. The V8P hit the right spot for me! Got mine for $300 with a bluetooth keyboard, folio case and a carrying bag. Love it!

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I guess you just don't expect or use the features as I do. Out of box, I can barely log into my account as the touch screen keeps register double key strokes for username and password.

Out of box, Miracast is totally broken as in the screen will be rotated and limited to a 800x600 small box in the center of the screen. Totally unuseable.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I guess you just don't expect or use the features as I do. Out of box, I can barely log into my account as the touch screen keeps register double key strokes for username and password.

Out of box, Miracast is totally broken as in the screen will be rotated and limited to a 800x600 small box in the center of the screen. Totally unuseable.

But you did say that the updates helped and made it more useable right?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I said, when I buy it now, after apply updates, it is useable. However, for those who bought last year, it won't be a good experience, IMO. Still, you have to suffer through the touch screen issues until you set everything up and go download and apply updates.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I said, when I buy it now, after apply updates, it is useable. However, for those who bought last year, it won't be a good experience, IMO. Still, you have to suffer through the touch screen issues until you set everything up and go download and apply updates.

Ahh I see. Well hopefully now most will already be updated to the latest and greatest so it can be more user friendly, but I wouldn't bash it for an experience that occurred a year ago/ on initial release. Most devices are like that on initial release.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

What special features are you using? I preordered mine from amazon and had it delivered on November 8th. It worked fine for everything with only the double tap issue being a problem, and that was only occasionally and did not make it in any way unusable. A month later there were some Windows updates that affected Wi-Fi which were resolved within a week or two. I bought the Netgear PTV3000 and updated to the latest firmware which worked fine for extending and second screen only but would not duplicate until a chipset update was released and this was clearly an Intel graphics driver issue, but again, it was a far cry from being unusable.

Maybe you got a defective unit but I, and judging by the reviews on amazon and the feedback on the tabletpcreview forum, had a very positive experience with the Dell with the stylus being the only thing that was admittedly broken. So yes, its not perfect but its a full pc and needs to have updates applied but once that is done the Dell is arguably the best 8" Windows 8 tablet you can buy today.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What special features are you using?
Miracast. It is broken and Dell actually acknowledged it in a long thread on their own forum. They have to wait for Microsoft to release a patch which broken the function even more on the tablet then wait for Intel to release a new platform driver inDec. 2013 to fix the issue. Extended or second screen only is pretty much useless without a mouse. Most use it for duplicate mode.

See here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19531153.aspx?pi239031352=1
Maybe you got a defective unit
No. See above.

Noftware

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I ordered both the DVP8 and the stylus on January 29 from Dell.ca. The tablet was shipped within a few days but the stylus is not expected to ship until March 18. With a 6+ week delay, it's likely the next revision.

I like the tablet so far and think it will be that much better with the stylus.
I received the stylus today (a month sooner than expected). The stylus box is marked: REV A01, Mfg Date: Jan 2014.

The accuracy seems great; no issues to report so far.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My order says it's still not going to arrive til 3/25. Jealous of all you guys especially those of you who ordered after me and have sooner delivery dates than mine.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
My order says it's still not going to arrive til 3/25. Jealous of all you guys especially those of you who ordered after me and have sooner delivery dates than mine.

That's pretty lame I ordered mine yesterday from the US website and have a ship date of 18 Mar.

Noftware

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
My arrived a month earlier than the expected ship date. Hopefully yours will ship earlier, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2