I tried to play 1080p HDX and 720p HD video from VUDU on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, but I got a message that it was not HDCP compliant and could not play (despite it being a HD screen at 800x1200). I called Dell and was told on the phone that it was a "basic" tablet and that because it was Windows 32 bit, it could not play HD video. However, my Surface RT (which is 32 bit) is perfectly capable of playing HD video from VUDU.

Anyone else have this issue and is there a work around for this? I really want to watch hd streaming video and although I haven't tried netflix yet I hope the same issue doesn't occur. Is this because there is no mini HDMI port?
    12-22-2013 08:44 AM
    the problem is more hardware then software and has noting to do with windows. to explain HDCP is a copyright protect built in to bluray movies. it requires that your graphics card, bluray drive, video out and monitor to have a HDCP module or be compliant in order to play content that is protected by HDCP. since most people don't think about this it is easy to assume that you need certain things like 64bit windows to work. even Apple has a problem with this as a number of their computers/laptops don't support HDCP on their video out. right now your best bet would to find a servce that lets you watch 1080 and 720p without requiring that you device is HDCP compliant or to provide your own source
    rav16 likes this.
    12-22-2013 01:58 PM
    Do you have an external monitor hooked up somehow? Normally HDCP is used to encrypt video between a video output on the PC and a monitor/TV so people can't capture the video. The V8P supports Miracast wireless displays and that has HDCP so the tablet does support it.

Just doing a Google search a number of people have had issues with Vudu and its checking for HDCP, I would check with them.
    12-22-2013 07:25 PM