I think I will be Returning my DVP

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say this but I think I will be returning my DVP. I have had it for two weeks. I think I have given it a really good try .. I bought the stylus from Dell and a metal case from PDAir but I haven't received the case yet. It's just that too many times the screen does not respond. Gotta tap and tap even with my finger to select something or close something .. Maybe I need to just stop buying things until tablets with windows 8 get it right. For now I have the iPad and iPad Mini and an 11 inch Tablet by Samsung, the Samsung Slate 7 .. (Windows 8.1 .. uses a Wacom digitizer and is pretty much perfect ).. I would like it to be an inch smaller but I also just bought the Lumia 1520 and it is a GREAT size and easier to use and read than the Dell. Doesn't have a stylus but the Dell may as well not have one .. The Dell will go back to the store, the stylus and case will go on eBay.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry that the Dell Venue Pro did not work out well for you, but it's good your other devices are meeting your needs.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I still have another week left to return without restocking fee. I really REALLY want this to work for me. Maybe Dell will put out a screen/touch upgrade before I have to return it. I would at least like to get a chance to try out the cool metal case I bought. It is coming from China on a VERY SLOW BOAT ...

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
This maybe a dumb question but have you done all the updates... I get the occasional mis tap. Also do you find the mis tap and swips on your 1520? Me and a lot of other people are having that issue with the nokia. Nokia said a fix is under way. Perhaps exchange the dvp and see if it's just a defective one..Stop buy a electronic store and play with one of there's and see if that's the issue. Might b worth a try.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
My screen is really fussy too. I seem to have to zoom in a lot to select things on screen. I have to press really firm too or it registers as a double tap. In the beginning I was thinking it was just getting used to a new device, but now I have contemplated returning it because of this issue.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I have only been getting the double tap problem every once in a while. for the most part I have not had an problems with the screen. Usually it happens if I am not sure of what I want to tap, and tap very lightly. My normal taps are a bit more firm.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure I have made all the updates. I saw one update for the screen and when I went to install it I got a error that I have already done this .. I discovered part of the problem though.... MAYBE .. It seems that the screen gets more and more unresponsive when my battery is low. I charged the battery over night and this morning it seems to be better. Anyone else notice this? I would really like to keep this computer so I am hoping this is an answer or part of the problem at least ...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you updated with the latest chipset drivers for Bay Trail? Updating them on my DV8P, almost all the touch issues went away (which started after applying a screen protector)

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
"This maybe a dumb question but have you done all the updates... "
There are no dumb questions ... I don't know for sure if I have done all the updates .. Every time I go looking on the Dell website it takes forever for me to
even find where they are. I saw several posts about updates here, but could someone post a link ?? I don't know why I didn't bookmark the page, I should have, but I didn't. TIA.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
You can download all drivers from here:

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

What a nightmare. I think the DVP needs to go back to the store. First I downloaded the "must have" update and my stylus and even touch went crazy. For instance, I went to a page that had a pop up that sat dead center in the middle of the screen. I couldn't close it with my finger or with the stylus. I decided to start all over .. I reset my computer back to the 1st of January and then tried to reinstall the "must have" update. It wouldn't install .. said it was already installed. but if I went back 5 days before installing the update, shouldn't that have erased the update? It did something but ... the pop up was no longer a problem .. but now I can't install the update. Maybe ever, because I shut completely down several times...

mtva24

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
The oversensitive touch screen is one thing that pisses me off about this tablet. Fortunately, the new update seems to be helping. I can finally use IE because I'm not having as many double taps.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The oversensitive touch screen is one thing that pisses me off about this tablet. Fortunately, the new update seems to be helping. I can finally use IE because I'm not having as many double taps.

When I first updated it yesterday it seemed to fix it almost completely, I was very excited about it. Today, it's back to the same old BS. IE is just as bad as before and I am still getting multiple key presses with the on screen keyboard.

tyshone1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I am also considering returning this device. After three updates to the digitizer, I am still experiencing problems with zoom vs scrolling and multiple character entries. At this point, I have no confidence it will be resolved. However, I love this form factor and the Windows 8 platform. Does anyone know if this issue is present on the Mix 2 or the Toshiba Encore?

Thanks.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I returned my DVP today, I decided to try one last thing. I restored to factory settings. Thought after I would install the updates. The tablet rebooted and I wasn't ready or update etc yet. the Tablet wouldn't shut down. I held the button for what seemed like forever. Tried holding a combination of two and three buttons. I guess I could have googled an answer or called Dell, but their customer service is from hell so I put it in a box and took it back to the store. I guess I could have exchanged it, but I just gave up. Maybe another time.

mtva24

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
When I first updated it yesterday it seemed to fix it almost completely, I was very excited about it. Today, it's back to the same old BS. IE is just as bad as before and I am still getting multiple key presses with the on screen keyboard.

Same thing here. Worked better after update, one day later, SOS.

Both of you are right. It worked for me for about 3 hours, now I'm double tapping in IE again and selecting text in desktop mode. Unfortunately, I bought this around Thanksgiving, so I'm stuck with this thing. I don't blame the OP for returning it. This tablet was a good idea, but Dell dropped the ball on the screen...

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Both of you are right. It worked for me for about 3 hours, now I'm double tapping in IE again and selecting text in desktop mode. Unfortunately, I bought this around Thanksgiving, so I'm stuck with this thing. I don't blame the OP for returning it. This tablet was a good idea, but Dell dropped the ball on the screen...

Thankfully I bought it from Amazon and have until the end of January to make a decision. That gives Dell just under a month to fix it. I really love the size and build quality, especially compared to the Lenovo and Toshiba offerings. The V8P just feels so much nicer than those other two. And I was truly blown away with the power of this thing, especially for the price (I paid $319 for the 64gb). I really, REALLY hope Dell fixes it, the last thing I want to do is return it. I love it, but this bug is terribly frustrating.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I returned my DVP today, I decided to try one last thing. I restored to factory settings. Thought after I would install the updates. The tablet rebooted and I wasn't ready or update etc yet. the Tablet wouldn't shut down. I held the button for what seemed like forever. Tried holding a combination of two and three buttons. I guess I could have googled an answer or called Dell, but their customer service is from hell so I put it in a box and took it back to the store. I guess I could have exchanged it, but I just gave up. Maybe another time.

Dell's tech support keeps recommending doing a factory reset and I just tell them no over and over. This clearly isn't something that can be solved with a reset and since it's a full fledged PC and not an iPad with an easy backup + restore function, a factory reset is exceptionally inconvenient. Plus, with all the reading I have done about it, a bunch of people have reset and it didn't solve the problem. This is either a firmware or hardware issue and Dell needs to do something about it and stop recommending stupid crap that we all know won't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa