OneNote and the Dell Venue 8 Pro

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Having a Dell XPS 420 Desktop and various laptops along the way, I really liked OneNote. Though it often wasn't all that helpful. On my now dead HP TM2, the pen was critical. Then my use of OneNote fell into disuse. My replacement laptop was a Dell XPS 15z. Great machine but not conducive to OneNote as other touch or pen input systems.

After a tough morning, my Wife and I got a doorbuster Dell Venue 8 Pro at the local Microsoft Store. And thing have fundamentally changed. Using IE 11 in the Modern App format, OneNote is just a short Share Charm away. And now it works as the mythical "Courier" would have. Simply sharing tidbits of data, (read cookie recipes, wine reviews, Home improvement projects, Catholic Prayers, and the Spring Passion of Tomato seed planning).

OneNote in the Modern app model misses a few options, Like File-Share- Notebook. But, otherwise, it is a staple, must have app now. While I like some of the other cooking apps, all my recipes are now in OneNote. Linked to the webpage of their source, with just the perfect sized pictures.

Love the Venue 8 Pro, and can't live now without OneNote.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I use it at work for tracking project notes. Clients send me sooo many design changes that it can be a full time job in itself trying to keep up with just one.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Newbie here to OneNote....

Ok, on my wp8(HTC8x) I have OneNote (and Office) and on my DV8P I have OneNote ...AND ... OneNote 2013 (Office 2013) and apparently during Office 2013 install, I had to choose which one to associate(use) with files??? (I chose OneNote 2013)
Anyway, what is the difference in functioning and is one better or easier to use? Can or should you use both?...does that screw up your OneNote files or trying to keep track of them?

I'm guessing that OneNote is the Modern app and OneNote 2013 is the Desktop version? The Office version seems more complicated and robust...not sure I really need that much functioning tho... and is abiltiy to sync to my wp8 a reason to choose OneNote over OneNote Office 2013? And lastly, can I reconfig files back to OneNote?(haven't used it too much yet, have some 'notes' on my wp8 tho)

fwiw I don't have a w8 desktop, just the Dv8P, a wp8 and a waiting to die XP desktop
Thanks in advance for any insights :)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The desktop version is honestly a far better program. If you use it in fullscreen mode, you get just as simplified an interface, but with more powerful features when you need them.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I use the metro OneNote app on my V8P for all I need of it. I do think that the desktop version is more comprehensive.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Once you learn to use the desktop version it is very powerful, but for simple note taking the Metro version works really well. Most of the difference is in types of objects you can embed, the desktop version has a ton of them, the Metro version less, and the WP8 version has even less from there.

Your notes sync across all of the devices, but the Metro and WP8 versions are obviously limited compared to the desktop version. I find myself using the Metro version more than the Desktop version unless it's for a specific purpose.

One annoying thing about the Metro version is there is no way to turn off the pen always being a pen input, in the Desktop version there is. So if you lift up and put the pen back down it uses whatever tool you have selected such as the text tool to translate handwriting into text. The Metro it always goes back to pen mode.

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
To me, sharing data or links is just easier in metro my dv8p pen, hasn't arrived yet, so can't comment on that yet. The radial menus in metro are great an intuitive. The desktop version has way more horse power but on an 8 inch screen it's too hard to see for me. I use the desktop version well... on my desktop computer. SkyDrive links them all.