Has anyone tried running Unity (Unity - Game Engine) on the Venue 8? I've been contemplating picking a Venue up for casual work on the train but I'm slightly worried that it's GPU might not be up to scratch.

Thanks!
    01-02-2014 04:12 PM
    Unity is a pretty light engine using ancient technology similar to the Source Engine. while the Intel graphics in the Atom isn't anything decent I think it should be fine. you're developing mobile games which aren't resource-intensive.
    01-02-2014 04:45 PM
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. My main worry is with running the editor rather the games (Which you're right, aren't very intensive), I've heard that people have had problems with running it on Clover trail CPUs and I wondered if that's changed with Bay trail. Thanks again though :)
    01-02-2014 05:04 PM
    BayTrail CPU is about 3-4X faster and GPU about 5-7X faster than clovertrail
    source: AnandTech | The Bay Trail Preview: Intel Atom Z3770 Tested

I think you shouldn't have any issue running unity.
    01-03-2014 02:31 PM
    I signed up to specifically answer this question.
    I do game development with Unity3D and ran it on the Dell Venue 8. I ran a seen with about 500 draw calls (not an optimized scene), 5 1024x768 textures, and one directional light with real time shadows. I also ran a platforming project I'm working on. The first scene I mentioned ran in the editor at about 15 to 20 fps. This is actually not bad for editing and working on a project. The second project I mentioned ran smoother than that. I was able to be productive in Unity running on the Dell VP8; however, if you can, I would recommend holding out for a different baytrail tablet.
    I actually have a blog post on this topic I'm releasing later tonight.

Seeing as how I just signed up out of excitement for this question, I haven't gone through the forum rules; so, I'm hesitant to post any links. If it's okay to post links, I'd be happy to send you in the direction of my website. You could also just google "step 2 digital production". Again, as of the time I'm posting this, my post about my Dell V8P experience won't be up for a few hours yet.

Update: I just put up my new post about my experience with the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Unity3D, plus other software. I didn't notice any rules about not posting blog links; so, here is my experience : http://www.step2digital.com/2014/01/...s-8-1-tablets/

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll try to answer them if I can.
    Last edited by elHodgeo; 01-15-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    01-15-2014 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD