DVP 8 won't charge

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had this problem yet? I bought a DVP8 from my Microsoft store around Thanksgiving. Before Christmas, I was unable to charge my tablet because the USB plug wouldn't plug in correctly. I should say, it can't plug in. There is a disucssion on the Dell support forums about this. It seems to stem from Dell designing the DVP with a MicroA socket but supplying a MicroB plug.

See: Dell Venue 8 Pro not CHARGING!!!! - Windows Mobile Products - Mobile Devices - Dell Community

In any case, my DVP was totally toast because I couldn't plug it in. Luckily, the MS store replaced it for me with no hassles. Sadly, not a week later, my new DVP will cannot also be charged because it I can't plug in the USB cord into the tablet.

This is a serious design issue. Maybe because I got my two DVPs from the same MS store, that they had a bad lot of these things. I'm on a trip so I've been unable to take the tablet back again. This time I want to just get a refund or something else instead of this. For some reason, I'm not hopful they'll let me get something else.

I'm really curious that there aren't more people here (in this forum) expressing an issue with this. I would have thought there would have been others. If not, so be warned, if you plug it your USB charger the wrong way, you can break your tablet for good. I know people here my want to say this is "user error". IDK. I have dozens of micro USB devices, and like most of us here, I plug in my gadgets nearly EVERYDAY for years. I've never "broken" any port on any other device...in years. Yet I must have "broken" the USB ports on TWO DVPs in less than a month.

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the tablet yesterday from the Microsoft Store. So far, I have only been able to get it to charge by using the supplied wall charger. I have tried multiple 2 amp chargers and only the official charger works. Is this normal?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the tablet yesterday from the Microsoft Store. So far, I have only been able to get it to charge by using the supplied wall charger. I have tried multiple 2 amp chargers and only the official charger works. Is this normal?

Doubt it, I think I've used a couple 1 amp'ers before (not sure) Not optimal though.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

There definitely are some chargers that work and some that don't. I have an iPad charger that doesn't work, but my Nexus 7 does. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the data pins need to be shorted out. Apparently some of the chargers don't do that.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I can use the USB port on the surface pro charger as well as my HP touchpad charger and my portable battery pack to charge mine without any issues. I haven't even used the supplied Dell charger or cable that came with it since I've had the tablet when it was first released.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting the info.
I haven't had any issues but I have been very careful when plugging it in.
I have use the supplied charger but also my cable that came with my Lumia 1020.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
As per another poster elsewhere, I marked the cable end to help make the hookup seamless. I also have been using the cable (b/c of a bit longer length) from my HTC8x in conjunction w/ the DV8P power brick successfully to charge my DV8P. I've also successfully charged thru a car 12v aux plugin (tho I've learned that these adapters
vary wildly in this ability so ymmv in this regard).

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem too when I got. It was such a hassle because I bought mine from Walmart(yeah,stupid). Luckily I was able to exchange it even though it was past the 14-day warranty. I'm now more careful with the new one now and I make sure I use the official charger only.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Update on my DVP. To recap, in the course of about a month I was unable to charge two different DVPs. I've seen other people talking about the tablet not charging well unless using the supplied charger; rather I'm specifcally saying that I was unable to physically connect ANY microUSB cord to the tablet because the pins were damaged. No amount of forcing could get any cord to plug in to the port. I had that 2nd DVP for less than a week! When you consider that you plug the thing in, what, once a day? That means that in about 6 charge cycles, or 6 times plugging it in to a cable, it broke. I don't care how reckless one might be with plugging it in, nothing should fail that fast!

I took the my 2nd dead DVP back to the MS store and they asked if I wanted another one. I said no thanks and they gave me a full refund, no hassles. Thank you Microsoft Store. If I got another one, my greatest fear with this thing is that it might die 6 months from now, when the MS store would be very unlikely to help me out.

Since it seems like there are not a huge number of people who are having this type of total port failure, I'm thinking maybe since I got both of my DVPs from the same MS Store, that maybe they had a bad lot of these devices and that I was simply unlucky. Maybe. Still, as much as I had liked the device, I will look for something else instead. I know Toshiba and Lenovo put out 8" tabs....but how's the upcoming ASUS VivoTab Note 8? Thoughts?

jerkules

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, my charging port appears to be intact but now I can't seem to get my tablet to charge. I plug it in and there is nothing. I hadn't used the tablet for abouy 2 days but I thought I turned it off to conserve battery. It won't power on at all no matter how long I hold the power button. Could someone offer any advice?

Oh yeah, there is no charge light either.

Edit: after some searching I was able to hold both the power and Windows buttons at the same time and it came on. Odd thing is that it was still on the 29th! Even after a reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jerkules

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, the saga continues. This morning had found me unable to turn in the tablet at all. I tried my solution from last night and now nothing. No charge light either. Any suggestions at this point?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the saga continues. This morning had found me unable to turn in the tablet at all. I tried my solution from last night and now nothing. No charge light either. Any suggestions at this point?

Return it and exchange it or tell them to give your money back. The DVP is a great tablet but worst charger ever.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So pissed, this issue just started for me tonight, got 13% battery! debating on wiping user info before I try to return. Only issue I have is that I bought it at Walmart back a few months ago. I wonder if they will take it back. If not I guess I'm going to have to deal with dell warranty.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
@nasellok The worst part is you can't wipe your user info, using the method offered by the OS, unless you plug in your tablet! Yes, I tried to wipe my info too before returning mine but was unable to because I couldn't plug it in. The best I could do was remove my MS account login and revert it to the pre Win8 type local user account. I then manually deleted apps that contained personal info. Not ideal. The last thing I did was run the battery down to nearly empty before taking it back. I figured I had to be able to turn it on to prove that it worked before I returned it...but I wouldn't leave anyone much time to mess with it before it would just die for good (since it was not possible to plug in).

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Bought from WalMart. Charging stopped. Returned through dell customer service. New unit has worked perfectly for weeks now. It seems the USB port is VERY fragile

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Bought from WalMart. Charging stopped. Returned through dell customer service. New unit has worked perfectly for weeks now. It seems the USB port is VERY fragile

How long did it take them to send replacement? Was it a new unit, or fixed same unit?

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
How long did it take them to send replacement? Was it a new unit, or fixed same unit?
new unit. They shipped new unit immediately 2 days from time they emailed me my instructions and service call. iit was to come with a waybill for return shipping for broken unit which it did not. I spent two days getting help I could understand to finally get a link to print out return label. I haven't had a problem with the new unit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss