DVP 8 won't charge

jerkules

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Return it and exchange it or tell them to give your money back. The DVP is a great tablet but worst charger ever.

I ended up returning it to the store. I exchanged it for another. Hopefully there won't be any problems with this one. If there is, I may have to find an alternative.

Ted#WP

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Return it and exchange it or tell them to give your money back. The DVP is a great tablet but worst charger ever.

I disagree. Compared to the chargers I have in the house for Samsung tablets, galaxy phones, nexus 7 and a few others, the DV8P charger is the best one. It delivers the most amperage and it comes with the heaviest gauge cable. It's powerful it's hardly stressed and it's cool to touch. And I can use it on all other devices interchangeably with no issue. It's the go to charger in our house.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No one is blaming the charger itself but the charge port on the tablet itself. It is just too easy to break. When I picked up mine at Microcenter, their store demo unit can no longer charge because the charge port is broken.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, Dell sent my tablet back to me - fixed (they replaced the motherboard), not a new one, and it worked fine for 2 weeks, last night I go to plug the charger in (was a dark room), I must have had the charger upside down, and low and behold - broken - I didn't even push it in hard, literally felt the slightest bit of resistance, turned it around, and plugged it in, and no charge light. UGH - I so just want my money back for this thing now - beyond frustrated - problem is that I bought it at Walmart back in November, and way past the return date). Now I have to wait for them to send me a box, I have to mail it back to them, then wait a week for them to repair the stupid thing again, only for it to probably break again. I'm on the phone with customer support now, going to see if they will just give me a new one, or money back - both of which I highly doubt. At least the customer support dudes over in india are nice on the phone.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It seems that MicroAB socket used by Dell is a requirement for getting USB OTG certified. Joke is on USB organization for creating such a lousy standard.
I did some research a while back, you should be able to purchase a micro-A USB cable (which is not cheap due to the fact that virtually no one uses it) to replace the Dell's micro-B USB cable. This way, it may prevent you plug in the cable the wrong way.

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, Dell sent my tablet back to me - fixed (they replaced the motherboard), not a new one, and it worked fine for 2 weeks, last night I go to plug the charger in (was a dark room), I must have had the charger upside down, and low and behold - broken - I didn't even push it in hard, literally felt the slightest bit of resistance, turned it around, and plugged it in, and no charge light. UGH - I so just want my money back for this thing now - beyond frustrated - problem is that I bought it at Walmart back in November, and way past the return date). Now I have to wait for them to send me a box, I have to mail it back to them, then wait a week for them to repair the stupid thing again, only for it to probably break again. I'm on the phone with customer support now, going to see if they will just give me a new one, or money back - both of which I highly doubt. At least the customer support dudes over in india are nice on the phone.

I'm in the same situation now as you were. I just got off the phone with the dell support team and they're now sending me a box so I can ship them my tablet to fix. This is my second dell venue 8 pro with the same charger problem. Did you return yours and get your money back by any chance?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation now as you were. I just got off the phone with the dell support team and they're now sending me a box so I can ship them my tablet to fix. This is my second dell venue 8 pro with the same charger problem. Did you return yours and get your money back by any chance?

No, they are fixing it again, which means they are going to swap out the motherboard, and send it back to me.

Caleb Mart

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I got my tablet as a Christmas present on Christmas Day. The battery dies, so I plug it in using the supplied charger. A few hours later, I go to plug it in again, but couldn't find the charger, so I used the cord from my Kindle and a 2.1Amp adapter from an iPad 2. The next night, when I go to plug it in... Nothing. No charge. I have 8 different cables and plugs and only the Kindle cord works with the tablet, not even the cord the tablet came with works. I am extremely disappointed, but don't want to return it. I'm not sure if it has to do with Micro Usb-A VS Micro Usb-B or what, but I'm going to order a cord that supports both.

anamandy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a defect of the port. Dell supplied the wrong type plug for the port. The port is square but the plug isn't. If you put the plug in the wrong way it will push the pins up so the plug can't connect with them. The diagram of the plug connection on the plug itself should be facing up, not down, when inserted properly. My brother has come up with a solution that works. It fixed the problem; hopefully permanently. My Venue is now charging again. You take a toothpick and very carefully put it inside against the right edge of the port and gently move it up and over into position so the toothpick lays horizontally and parallel across all the pins at the same time. Very, very gently push down. All the pins will move down at the same time. It only has to move a tiny fraction for the plug to fit correctly, so don?t push too hard or you will break the pins off and render the Venue useless. He said he had the same problem once with a flip-phone and that was what he had to do to fix the problem. Once you get the Venue charging again, while it is plugged in you should mark the top of the plug (I used white out) so you never put the plug in the wrong way again. This works.

Robert Findlay

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem with a defective usb A port. There are repair services on ebay that are inexpensive and more importantly the usb port is the B style (trapezoid) so this eliminates the problem of putting a usb connection incorrectly. Turn around on the fix is less than two weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)