Newb questions

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
As I mentioned in post #4, links in emails in the email app (the Modern App, on the Start page) are not clickable. I haven't figured out any way to make them clickable, either.

Ahh I see... Well that's a bummer... Is there an actual windows 8 outlook email app? That functions just like regular outlook but with a windows 8 tile like function?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartV

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Ahh I see... Well that's a bummer... Is there an actual windows 8 outlook email app? That functions just like regular outlook but with a windows 8 tile like function?

Thanks again.

I have no idea.

And, it will soon be moot for me. I'm returning the V8P tomorrow. It requires too much "desktop" in my "tablet". I see you use Tapatalk. I do, too, on Android. If there was a Tapatalk (or equivalent) app for the Start screen in W8, I might have decided to keep the V8P. But, most of my tablet usage is reading and posting on forums like this and it's just too hard (in comparison) to do it using the browser on a 8" screen.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did some testing on Win8 Email App. It works but depending on what email format you are using:

* If the email was sent as plain text email, the email app will parse the email body and highlight the links. You will be able to tap the link and open the browser.
* If the email was sent as either HTML email (the default format these days) or Rich Text Format (most old Outlook emails use this format). the email app won't parse the email body. However, any real links (<href> in HTML and some other format in Rich Text) in the emails are still highlighted and click able. But any URLs contained in the text won't be parsed. This is probably done so to prevent double links.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it really depends on your needs and what suits it. You just have to remember that the v8p is a windows 8 DESKTOP TABLET. Think more of a desktop version of windows with windows 8 skin on top of it. It gives you "lite" desktop usage while merging some "tablet" functions but not all.

I think more apps will come eventually and I think the DV8P can't be Beat for bang for your buck when it comes to hardware. Sure small screen but then again it states it's 8 inches, everything's gunna be "smallerer" on that screen.

Good luck finding a tab that suits you!

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea.

And, it will soon be moot for me. I'm returning the V8P tomorrow. It requires too much "desktop" in my "tablet". I see you use Tapatalk. I do, too, on Android. If there was a Tapatalk (or equivalent) app for the Start screen in W8, I might have decided to keep the V8P. But, most of my tablet usage is reading and posting on forums like this and it's just too hard (in comparison) to do it using the browser on a 8" screen.

By the way I love tapatalk. But I understand it's a mobile app and not a desktop one. Wish they had a desktop app!

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I did some testing on Win8 Email App. It works but depending on what email format you are using:

* If the email was sent as plain text email, the email app will parse the email body and highlight the links. You will be able to tap the link and open the browser.
* If the email was sent as either HTML email (the default format these days) or Rich Text Format (most old Outlook emails use this format). the email app won't parse the email body. However, any real links ( in HTML and some other format in Rich Text) in the emails are still highlighted and click able. But any URLs contained in the text won't be parsed. This is probably done so to prevent double links.

Ahh I see well that makes sense! I think Microsoft got a little ahead of themselves on this one by thinking a little to much on this, but it makes sense now.

StuartV

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it really depends on your needs and what suits it. You just have to remember that the v8p is a windows 8 DESKTOP TABLET. Think more of a desktop version of windows with windows 8 skin on top of it. It gives you "lite" desktop usage while merging some "tablet" functions but not all.

I think more apps will come eventually and I think the DV8P can't be Beat for bang for your buck when it comes to hardware. Sure small screen but then again it states it's 8 inches, everything's gunna be "smallerer" on that screen.

Good luck finding a tab that suits you!

Oh, I understand. I just bought it hoping for a more mature tablet experience. Unfortunately, the software is "desktop tablet", but the hardware is 100% TABLET.

The screen is indeed only 8 inches, but my phone screen is 5 inches and there are a number of things that are easier to do on my phone than this tablet, because, as you say, it's mostly a desktop OS running on tablet hardware. The one example I've given numerous times already is reading and posting on Web forums. Unfortunate, but true, that that activity is easier and more pleasant on my 5" phone than this 8" tablet. And it's just down to the tablet part of the software simply isn't as mature as any of its competition yet.

The hardware is definitely awesome, for the money! I just wish I could do more with it!

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I understand. I just bought it hoping for a more mature tablet experience. Unfortunately, the software is "desktop tablet", but the hardware is 100% TABLET.

The screen is indeed only 8 inches, but my phone screen is 5 inches and there are a number of things that are easier to do on my phone than this tablet, because, as you say, it's mostly a desktop OS running on tablet hardware. The one example I've given numerous times already is reading and posting on Web forums. Unfortunate, but true, that that activity is easier and more pleasant on my 5" phone than this 8" tablet. And it's just down to the tablet part of the software simply isn't as mature as any of its competition yet.

The hardware is definitely awesome, for the money! I just wish I could do more with it!

You're definitely right! All comes down to user and user experience.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ahh I see well that makes sense! I think Microsoft got a little ahead of themselves on this one by thinking a little to much on this, but it makes sense now.

My Nexus 5's stock email app behaves the exact same way as Win8 Email app. It seems only the Outlook desktop app do it differently.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you will like using any desktop software on this tablet without a keyboard and mouse. The small screen size means it is very tough to navigate traditional desktop app UIs using your fingers. Then the on-screen keyboard will not auto popup on desktop apps. When you do open the keyboard, it will constantly jump around the UI in order to let you see where you are typing and the keyboard at the same time. I had a hard time use the desktop version of IE.

The only way to get Outlook these days is to purchase Office for Business or Office Pro. Microsoft no longer sells Outlook stand alone.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you will like using any desktop software on this tablet without a keyboard and mouse. The small screen size means it is very tough to navigate traditional desktop app UIs using your fingers. Then the on-screen keyboard will not auto popup on desktop apps. When you do open the keyboard, it will constantly jump around the UI in order to let you see where you are typing and the keyboard at the same time. I had a hard time use the desktop version of IE.

The only way to get Outlook these days is to purchase Office for Business or Office Pro. Microsoft no longer sells Outlook stand alone.

Absolutely the reason why I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse in the works.

As for outlook, I will be looking at other means/"sources" to obtain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro