Is the Dell Venue 8 Pro a good tablet?

nakialj

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and what i dont like about it is that it gets hot very quick.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using WPCentral Forums mobile app

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It has served me very well.
Only complaint is the sometimes spazzy touchscreen and relative lack of ports (but what do you expect from an 8-incher)

Heat has never been a problem. I tested Starcraft II on it and it ran like a champ while beating back the zerg!
I think my Lumia 920 has gotten hotter than that tablet before. (no my 920 isn't defective I believe)

Mind is still blown how its fanless.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Just like any piece of tech, you tax the processor enough, it will get warm. I haven't really noticed it however on my DVP8 to be honest. I had it naked for about 3 weeks before deciding on a case and I never noticed it getting perhaps slightly warm, but not hot.

I haven't really taxed it very much beyond Netflix and normal usage. I haven't really played any games on it that would heat it up like my 920 loves to do.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I like it, but it spaz's out once in a while and you have to reboot it. Had a strange thing happen once where it wouldn't turn on, had a full charge. Messed around with the buttons and I think held power and the windows button a while and it finally came back on.

yogesh_498

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
i was really looking to get this one.. specifically cellular version but it cost same as ipad mini retina, that's put me off now. :(

R1_Rydah

Oct 23, 2004
Visit site
my V8P runs cool most of the time.. But it does heat up when I miracast to my TV.. I'm surprised it runs as cool as it does considering its fanless..

axllebeer

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine only runs hot when I'm playing a graphicly intense game. Like a racing game. (Asphalt 7 I think it was)

That's forgivable. To answer the question however, it's a very good tablet, not great. It's also a very good PC, not great. This is one of the rare times that 2 very goods equal a "great" however.

If you are looking for the best of both worlds, then this is it.

Last edited:

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Im on my second tablet. the first one I returned because i found it cheaper elsewhere and because I wasnt too excited about the heat. I was attempting to use the chrome browser and stream to chromecast. The thing got insanely hot. not warm, but hot..

I ended up purchasing another one and ive noticed it doesnt get as hot. Perhaps a faulty one...
the other thing that helps is the case. I just put mine one this week and its been perfect. I was streaming movies from my pc to the dell and it was comfortable (temp wise)

axllebeer

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm really pleased with the way Chrome works with my Chromecast too. I can pull up Hulu and cast it to my plasma TV. Pretty much anything I've tried has worked great so far.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Loving the tablet so far!
Great piece of engineering.
Haven't been using my Surface 2 as much and liking the flexibility of the full Windows 8 experience as opposed to RT.
Can't wait for the "fixed" stylus to show up.

axllebeer

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I miss about my Galaxy Note 10.1 is the S-pen. If a proper stylus shows up I'm all over it.

Loving the tablet so far!
Great piece of engineering.
Haven't been using my Surface 2 as much and liking the flexibility of the full Windows 8 experience as opposed to RT.
Can't wait for the "fixed" stylus to show up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon