Hey everyone! I am new here and I couldn't find any forum dedicated for DV8 Pro except here, and seeing by the number of people here in WP Central, thought I'd give it a go.

So I've ordered a 32GB Dell Venue 8 Pro a couple days ago, and it's so worth the price, because the price alone is equivalent to 1 Microsoft Office 2013 license which comes for free with this tablet. I have also installed a 32GB microSDHC UHS-1 card given that the tablet doesn't have enough storage to start with. Now, the way I set the destinations is typically via CMD, which means I used the mklink command to put a folder in the C: drive that links to the SD storage because some apps does not allow to be installed on external storage. So basically, the folder location for Music is instead of C:\Username\Music, it is now C:\SDHC\Music, and same goes for downloads, desktop, documents, pictures, and videos. Now, while exploring PC Settings (Metro control panel) under PC and devices > Devices, there's an option called "Default save locations" which makes the SD card the default location for your media, but turning on this options creates a folder in the SD card with your name next to it (eg. Music (First name Last name)) which I don't like because the parentheses ruins the directory path in the Xbox Music app, so instead of C:\Username\Music, it's going to be D:\4563546825604367-Music.

My first question is, how does the mklink command (my method of transferring file locations) differ from using the Default save locations that Windows 8.1 natively offers?

My second scenario is regarding OneDrive. Since my OneDrive account consumes about 5GB, the syncing stops at 0.98GB when C: reaches 2GB of space left. Even when I made the files online-only, it still needed to sync the cache on the disk, so due to this I had no choice but to move the SkyDrive folder to the SDHC using mklink. So now it's location is at C:\SDHC\SkyDrive. My problem is that it doesn't seem to be syncing. I am not seeing the SkyDrive icon on the taskbar, while I can see it on my laptop. And even when I do put files in the OneDrive folder, it doesn't sync asap like it does on my laptop. Occasionally I get multiple SkyDrive syncing icons on the taskbar, but disappears when clicked when it shouldn't (it should bring up the SkyDrive folder when clicked).

So my second question is, what's up with this?
    03-05-2014 12:59 AM
    Hey everyone! I am new here and I couldn't find any forum dedicated for DV8 Pro except here, and seeing by the number of people here in WP Central, thought I'd give it a go.

So I've ordered a 32GB Dell Venue 8 Pro a couple days ago, and it's so worth the price, because the price alone is equivalent to 1 Microsoft Office 2013 license which comes for free with this tablet. I have also installed a 32GB microSDHC UHS-1 card given that the tablet doesn't have enough storage to start with. Now, the way I set the destinations is typically via CMD, which means I used the mklink command to put a folder in the C: drive that links to the SD storage because some apps does not allow to be installed on external storage. So basically, the folder location for Music is instead of C:\Username\Music, it is now C:\SDHC\Music, and same goes for downloads, desktop, documents, pictures, and videos. Now, while exploring PC Settings (Metro control panel) under PC and devices > Devices, there's an option called "Default save locations" which makes the SD card the default location for your media, but turning on this options creates a folder in the SD card with your name next to it (eg. Music (First name Last name)) which I don't like because the parentheses ruins the directory path in the Xbox Music app, so instead of C:\Username\Music, it's going to be D:\4563546825604367-Music.

My first question is, how does the mklink command (my method of transferring file locations) differ from using the Default save locations that Windows 8.1 natively offers?

My second scenario is regarding OneDrive. Since my OneDrive account consumes about 5GB, the syncing stops at 0.98GB when C: reaches 2GB of space left. Even when I made the files online-only, it still needed to sync the cache on the disk, so due to this I had no choice but to move the SkyDrive folder to the SDHC using mklink. So now it's location is at C:\SDHC\SkyDrive. My problem is that it doesn't seem to be syncing. I am not seeing the SkyDrive icon on the taskbar, while I can see it on my laptop. And even when I do put files in the OneDrive folder, it doesn't sync asap like it does on my laptop. Occasionally I get multiple SkyDrive syncing icons on the taskbar, but disappears when clicked when it shouldn't (it should bring up the SkyDrive folder when clicked).

So my second question is, what's up with this?
    Not sure what is up with Skydrive, however with Win 8.1 all the mklink stuff is unnecessary. For music, videos etc...created the folder name that you wish on the SD card and then right click and add it to the library of choice. Then from the libraries in explorer select the library, right click and select properties. It will give you the option to change the default save location.

As an alternative to this and for Skydrive, you can select the music, videos, documents folder from the This Pc location in Explorer, right click, select properties and move the location to where you desire. You can also do this for Skydrive from its icon.

Make sure you have applied all Windows updates for the taskbar icon to appear. I believe this was enabled with the last round of updates.
    03-05-2014 08:57 AM
    Here is a post I did not to long ago on how to move all your default locations. Xbox music throws a fit if you do not do it the way listed in the link contained in the thread lol. It will not see your music.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/del...ave-space.html
    03-06-2014 11:58 PM
    Hi

Thanks for the replies. I believe I have misinformed you guys, see, instead of adding a folder on the SD card and making that folder part of a library and also to make that my default save location, I intentionally went with the mklink command to really set (and spoof) the computer to use the SD card as if it were part of the main storage, so everything will still be located in C: drive without using another path. So I believe I don't really have any problems with this in the first place, but regarding with the SkyDrive folder being moved to the SD card is still a problem to me. So I did the "Right click SkyDrive folder > Location > Move" and moved it to C:\SDHC\SkyDrive. It took a while to move the files even thought it read that the SkyDrive folder was 5.7GB, when really it was only 0.98GB on disk. My problem starts as soon as the transfer completes. The cloud icon on the taskbar (you click on the arrow to see it) would disappear and leave me with a USB icon and Bluetooth. But, upon moving the SkyDrive folder back to C:\Username\SkyDrive, the icon would show and act as normal and sync everything without any problems. I have not seen anyone complain nor post any problems regarding with this, so I think I must be the only one having it. I have refreshed and reinstalled everything 3 times now and I'm starting to think that SkyDrive just doesn't want to be in the SD card.
    03-07-2014 01:51 AM
    Hey guys I recently bought Dell Venue 8 16gb I try to download Whats app it's said it's not comparable I did also try to watch movies on netflex from Chrome browser it said same thing is any body having same problem? does anyone know how to fix this ? thanks
    03-23-2014 08:36 AM
    The DV8 is an Android device. That may be your issue. Try asking around on Android Central.
    bigeduck likes this.
    03-23-2014 08:58 AM