Download recovery partition

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You can request a free USB drive with the recovery stuff from Dell. But, you won't be able to boot from it without this adapter, which allows charging and USB at the same time:

Dell Micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging : Tablets & Mobile Accessories | Dell

You can still do a restore/recovery from USB without being connected to power. It is via the advanced startup settings. Just make sure you have a good charge before you attempt.

This also works with any Win 8.x device. I have done it on the Dell and my Surface in the past.

riadbelka

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
hello i am from algeria...i buy tablet from usa ...i have a broblem with boot to win ...i can not recover my win so i am blocked to bluescreen...i can not get option system recover of win...so after that i download image factore that i say thanks to uploader ...how i can boot from it ...i have dell venue 8 pro 64 g ...thanks for you

xpresservers

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Dear Memitim,

I have DV8P 32g version. I have recovery partition present in my tablet but I want to re-partition and install my owned version of Windows 8.1 with update. How I can make a restorable backup of my recovery partition like I get on brand new tablet?

Regards,
Hassan

Kweku Clyde

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was able to reset my Venue 8.1 Pro with the recovery I downloaded from here, but now it says I need to activate windows and I have an invalid key. How do I get the key?

Chocu1a

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone give a hand here? I downloaded the rared archives from post 8. I keep getting an error once I unrar I get an error saying image is corrupt.
I downloaded the files from post 29, but do not know how to proceeed with them. I put them on a usb key, but my Venue 8 will not boot from it.
I am the second owner of this tablet & the original restore files have been deleted & dell won't help me since I am not original owner.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was able to reset my Venue 8.1 Pro with the recovery I downloaded from here, but now it says I need to activate windows and I have an invalid key. How do I get the key?

I think with modern devices, they have the key hardcoded into the device... think you can find the documentation that came with your device? that probably has the key you need.

Can anyone give a hand here? I downloaded the rared archives from post 8. I keep getting an error once I unrar I get an error saying image is corrupt.
I downloaded the files from post 29, but do not know how to proceeed with them. I put them on a usb key, but my Venue 8 will not boot from it.
I am the second owner of this tablet & the original restore files have been deleted & dell won't help me since I am not original owner.

You are placing them on the USB's home/root directory, not in a folder, right?
Can you get to Windows 8's Advanced Startup and commence a device reset from there? I don't think the recovery is bootable like a Linux distro.

Chocu1a

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I think with modern devices, they have the key hardcoded into the device... think you can find the documentation that came with your device? that probably has the key you need.

You are placing them on the USB's home/root directory, not in a folder, right?
Can you get to Windows 8's Advanced Startup and commence a device reset from there? I don't think the recovery is bootable like a Linux distro.

They were in a folder called Dell Recovery. I will move them to root of drive & try again.

*update. Moving files to root of usb worked like a charm.
Thank You.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Your tablet will use UEFI booting techniques (which in this case will read the OS key from the firmware), so when you install your OS you will want to install it as a UEFI install. This is a big topic so you'll need to research and learn all about it. Also, if your system is a Wimboot style (compressed OS image) you will need to have the recovery partition in place as it is used as a constant reference by Wimboot systems.

This is not a simple thing. I get the impression you are addressing these issues for the first time. I would make a system image of all partitions before you try ANYTHING and make sure you have thoroughly studied UEFI booting and if applicable Wimboot OS installs.

You can work round all this and change to a legacy install, but this is not a great plan for UEFI setups for many reasons. Especially if you have a Wimboot system.

Note that if you image a GPT disk (all UEFI disks are GPT) to an external GPT drive with the built in Windows imaging system, it will fail to restore. You need to save the image to an external MBR disk or move it to one or it won't restore. This is a tough tip to find, so make a note.

You will feel like your head is much bigger once you have learnt about this lot. Be prepared to put the time in.

Kweku Clyde

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks you very much for all the advice, I am now reading on UEFI install and Winboot. Another problem crept up while trying to get the tablet back to factory default, I lost the touch function. Even in bios there is no more touch, everything works well with a mouse and keyboard. It just stopped working and I don't know how I am ever gonna get it back, I have spent many sleepless nights digging through the net but to no avail. Does anyone have a solution to this? When I tried to install the driver it says no synaptics device detected or something like that. I doubt its a windows problem because touch is not functioning in the bios as well. I hope someone can help me since my device just went out of warranty on January 22. Dont want to loose the tablet function and make this a paper weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb