Download recovery partition

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Please note I said Wimboot, not Winboot. I did not make a typo, it is Wimboot you want to read about (if your tablet is Wimbooted).

Assuming touch worked in the bios settings before, you have 3 possibilities I can see. 1, reset firmware to factory defaults and possibly reflash to latest. 2, you have a hardware fault. 3, your firmware is not configured to allow legacy bios configuration of your screen/input or it has a UEFI only vid bios. If you get a UEFI install on there it may sort the issue.

Kweku Clyde

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
sorry about that, my typo error, i was referring to Wimboot.

I already have firmware A10 on, is there a way to revert it to a lower one? It was working fine after upgrading to the latest firmware and just stopped. I hope it's not a hardware failure. I'll try to mess around with the bios settings and see if there is anything I can change.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what to do with the recovery image? Just copy it to C and try recovering?

Unzip the various folders in the archive and stick it on a microSD card (recommended) and do the restore.

Can you please help me with this?

Help with...? I'd rather not write an entire guide.
Put the files on a microSD card, then follow the first thing in this list. System recovery options in Windows 8.1 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, 10 Pro and 11 Pro Tablet | Dell US

c640180

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
This is a pretty long explanation, but I hope someone can help me! Seems like all the folks who know how to do this are participating in this thread...

I have a 32gb Venue 8 Pro, and when I got it 12 months ago, I immediately made a recovery "disk" onto a MicroSD card, and deleted the recovery partition to free up space. I put the MicroSD card into a desk drawer, and went on about my business...

This weekend, I decided that I want to sell the Venue 8 Pro, so I hauled out the MicroSD card, popped it into the Venue 8 Pro, and went into the Recovery menu inside Windows 8.1. I started the recovery, but it immediately told me that I didn't have valid recovery media inserted. I popped the card out and back in a couple of times, but it didn't matter.

I gave up on the Recovery app, and went into the Advanced Options where I could do a "reset." The device rebooted, and showed me a menu where I could pick a backup "image" to restore from. It showed me an image with a time/date stamp that corresponded to the recovery image I had made a year ago, so I thought that all was well. I picked that image, told it to start, and the system appeared to be restoring successfully. Part way through, it rebooted, and now I get "internal hard drive not found" errors.

I have downloaded other people's factory Recovery images from various online forums, and I have the ability to make a recovery USB drive. I did just that, using Rufus to turn an .img file into a bootable USB drive. However, the DV8P never attempts to boot from the drive (when I connect it via a USB OTG cable).

If I go into the BIOS, and look at the boot options menu, I notice that the "Boot Option Priorities" is greyed out. I can't click/tap on it and select any options for it. The other four menu options are available to me, just not "Boot Option Priorities." I assume I need to do something to get the DV8P to see a bootable USB drive, right?

At this point, I'm all for any option that allows me to make the device bootable again. I could make a plain old Windows 8.1 USB drive and install from that.

What's my best strategy for restoring/reimaging when I'm stuck in the state I'm in -- can't boot, don't know how to enable the correct boot options in the BIOS?

Thanks everyone!

Allshock

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey
I need help. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB , I must install a new system, but has removed the earlier recovery partition to install Windows 10 technical preview , how do I get recovery partition?
Please help. Sorry for my english.

raffyraffy

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
hi xandros9, just wondering how this works, should i copy this in a micro-sd card or copy it then copy paste it in program files inside dell venue 8 tab? can you please give me instructions, thanks

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hi xandros9, just wondering how this works, should i copy this in a micro-sd card or copy it then copy paste it in program files inside dell venue 8 tab? can you please give me instructions, thanks

Argh there's unanswered posts above! I'll get to those when I'm in front of my PC.

For my recovery, you would copy the files within to a microSD card. Make sure that the files and folders (boot, efi...) aren't in a folder on the card.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
This is a pretty long explanation, but I hope someone can help me! Seems like all the folks who know how to do this are participating in this thread...
Basically the exact same situation as me. In the end, I never got any recovery method to work whatsoever. I have a tablet now that has an evaluation version of Windows 8.1 on it that I basically can't use as a tablet. I'm just hoping that when 10 comes out, I'll be able to run it from that point on without problems. For now, it's a paperweight.

Saad Khan14

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for sharing the recovery image I have been facing the window installation problem on my venue 8pro window is corrupted and my recovery image in USB also not working am going to download and try it

Curtis Webb

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey
I need help. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB , I must install a new system, but has removed the earlier recovery partition to install Windows 10 technical preview , how do I get recovery partition?
Please help. Sorry for my english.

I have the exact same issue. Need HELP!!!

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
my recovery image in USB also not working am going to download and try it
I have the exact same issue. Need HELP!!!
Hey guys, hope you find a solution. Ever since going to a 10 tech preview, I've been completely unable to go back to 8.1. I ran an enterprise version for a while but only an evaluation, I can run the latest 10 tech preview, but I can't get any official installation to run and recognise my device's product key at all in any one of the methods people suggest. I somehow have ended up with a device that can't be restored.

jeffjdavison

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I need the original files (media) to restore a Dell Venue 8 Pro 3845.(2014) I screwed around after upgrading to Windows 10, and now the device will not boot or reset. Could use some help here. Thanks. Can anyone tell me where to download these disk image(s)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm stuck with this same issue ... I was screwing around with the partitions and now it's bricked. I've tried downloading the dell venue 8 pro recovery from above , unrared, and copied to an SD card . how the heck to do I get it too boot from the sdcard ? 😯 can't seem to change boot sequence in A03 bios ...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I need the original files (media) to restore a Dell Venue 8 Pro 3845.(2014) I screwed around after upgrading to Windows 10, and now the device will not boot or reset. Could use some help here. Thanks. Can anyone tell me where to download these disk image(s)

I'm stuck with this same issue ... I was screwing around with the partitions and now it's bricked. I've tried downloading the dell venue 8 pro recovery from above , unrared, and copied to an SD card . how the heck to do I get it too boot from the sdcard ? �� can't seem to change boot sequence in A03 bios ...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

https://mega.nz/#!xVllSAyD!Xe8M25oZwBehC9cDwr1PDz3MYXIUfox5EdLQYV_iRXI

This recovery comes from the original Dell Venue 8 Pro and YMMV regarding newer models.

Last edited:

Dave from Lincoln

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I have bricked my DV8 by removing the recovery partition. I did create a recovery disk on USB first, and booted from the USB and made sure the recovery options were there, but did not actually *do* a recovery to make sure. Then I went ahead and ignored warnings and deleted the recovery partition so I would have space to upgrade to Windows 10. Now I have a brick. I copied the recovery to SD card, but as others have indicated, I cannot boot to the SD card, and even when booting from the USB and trying to refresh or restore, it is no flipping good. I have wasted too many hours on this. I will call Dell tomorrow since this is fresh out of the box, but I am not optimistic.

DCHFoundations

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Brand new member but I've been following this for a bit.

Wondering if Xandros' link will work with a 32gb DV8P 5380? I've since erased my recovery partition and had W10 factory restore so I cannot downgrade without a factory image.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Brand new member but I've been following this for a bit.

Wondering if Xandros' link will work with a 32gb DV8P 5380? I've since erased my recovery partition and had W10 factory restore so I cannot downgrade without a factory image.

Unknown. My image came from the first Venue 8 Pro iteration, and I don't know how different the current models are from the older ones. But you might not have many options.

TortugaOnline

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys! I bricked my tablet too. Actually I got a problem while resetting Windows 10. It didn't finsih and Windows wold not boot anymore. Could still acces the Windows rescue mode but I didn't find a way to repair the system. The recovery partition didn't even show up there. What was it good for if you couldn't acces it?

Downloaded the recovery image xandros9 posted here (thanks!). But as I don't have OTG cable there is nothing to. It wouldn't boot from SD-card. I read somewhere that the Dell Venue Pro 8 is not able to boot from SD card. I would be glad to have more opionions ;)

Eventually y formated the harddisk... I will contact the Dell support to see what they can do. If you found other solutions, let me know please!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo