MHL (MicroUSB to HDMI) on Venue 8 Pro

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've searched the internet for information on streaming video from the Dell Venue 8 Pro to a TV, but I've found mixed results. A lot of people are unhappy with Miracast, especially when streaming video, and with our horribly Wi-Fi connection downstairs, and the incredibly high price of Miracast dongles, I thought MHL would be a much better option.

I've seen people use docks that connect to the MicroUSB of the Dell Venue 8 Pro, and then go out through HDMI to a TV, but this doesn't make sense to me if it doesn't support MHL. A MicroUSB/USB to HDMI adapter is really cheap, but of course requires MHL to work. Has any of you had any experience with projecting from the Dell Venue 8 Pro? Would an adapter like the one below work or not? Do I need to purchase and expensive dock, or isn't that an option either?

bigEVN-2411.jpg

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't found an MHL adapter that works, so that makes me think that the V8P isn't equipped to handle it... There's quite a few quirks on the Micro port they used, like no Charge/Data together? very strange stuff!

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't found an MHL adapter that works, so that makes me think that the V8P isn't equipped to handle it... There's quite a few quirks on the Micro port they used, like no Charge/Data together? very strange stuff!

I can live without data transfer, since it is a full PC, and a MicroUSB to USB adapter costs less than $5.
It's not the end of the world if my tablet can't project through HDMI, but it would be awesome.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
MHL requires hardware support. Just because there is a microUSB port doesn't mean there is a MHL chip behind it. As far as I can tell, there is no MHL hardware on DV8P.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a shame, but thanks for the help :D
Dell's Venue 8 Pro specifications do however state that it is capable of data transfering, but that's probably not between PC and PC.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
MHL is not data transfer over microUSB. You have a HDMI transmitter chip inside and simply reuse the microUSB pins for HDMI pins when an adapter is plugged in.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Miracast on the Netgear PTV3000 works great- its a bit laggy, and you have to make sure to not have any other wireless tech on the same bandwidth. If my baby video monitor is on in the same room, it makes the miracast not work. I assume the same for cordless telephones because they work on the same Ghz band.

If you want hard wired to monitor you can use a OTG usb adapter -> display port adapter -> external display. Only issue is that it is impossible to charge the tablet at the same time without some hackery - look on youtube or tabletpcreview forums for more info. IMHO, it was a horrible mistake for Dell to not provide HDMI out on this tablet. If I could, I'd return my DV8P and get one of the other 8" tablets that have HDMI out support. That being said - I am still super happy with this tablet, and would recommend it to anyone over an Ipad, or an Android tablet any day of the week. Far more functional in almost every aspect.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Miracast on the Netgear PTV3000 works great- its a bit laggy, and you have to make sure to not have any other wireless tech on the same bandwidth. If my baby video monitor is on in the same room, it makes the miracast not work. I assume the same for cordless telephones because they work on the same Ghz band.

If you want hard wired to monitor you can use a OTG usb adapter -> display port adapter -> external display. Only issue is that it is impossible to charge the tablet at the same time without some hackery - look on youtube or tabletpcreview forums for more info. IMHO, it was a horrible mistake for Dell to not provide HDMI out on this tablet. If I could, I'd return my DV8P and get one of the other 8" tablets that have HDMI out support. That being said - I am still super happy with this tablet, and would recommend it to anyone over an Ipad, or an Android tablet any day of the week. Far more functional in almost every aspect.

I'd love a wired solution!! If I understand correctly, this is the setup you suggest?
Venue 8 Pro < Micro-USB to USB < USB to (Mini) DisplayPort < (Mini) DisplayPort to HDMI < HDMI - TV
Venue 8 Pro < Micro-USB to (Mini) DisplayPort < (Mini) DisplayPort to HDMI < HDMI - TV

Is that it?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd love a wired solution!! If I understand correctly, this is the setup you suggest?
Venue 8 Pro < Micro-USB to USB < USB to (Mini) DisplayPort < (Mini) DisplayPort to HDMI < HDMI - TV
Venue 8 Pro < Micro-USB to (Mini) DisplayPort < (Mini) DisplayPort to HDMI < HDMI - TV

Is that it?

Yep, pretty much, but with all the adapters, etc. your going to need, a better solution would probably be to get a USB 3.0 docking station - I hear these work really well: Plugable UD-3900 Dual Display Universal Docking Station | Plugable

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep, pretty much, but with all the adapters, etc. your going to need, a better solution would probably be to get a USB 3.0 docking station - I hear these work really well: Plugable UD-3900 Dual Display Universal Docking Station | Plugable

You could get a Miracast dongle for $30 or less, so an expensive and large docking station is not a better option :I. Could you possibly link / show an example of the wired adapter setup? Adapters can be found super cheap, and are almost the size of a cable, so it ends up being like an extended HDMI, with no extra power or space needed, which itself is pretty nice! I don't understand how DisplayPort is different from HDMI / VGA, when it comes to MHL support.

cbkcc1

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
found this review with info that might be helpful: arachnosoft. com/main/articles.php?id=dell-venue-8-pro-windows-tablet-full-review/16-extended-features-wireless-display-miracast

sorry for the old thread reply, but was looking for this info myself.

(can't post links yet)

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that article. It looks like a full set up will cost about $80. I'm wondering if I would be better off buying one of the PC on a stick's to run the SlingBox app so I don't have to unplug everything just to charge it. Argh!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss