DLNA support?

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to get my hands on Miracast dongles, and the only cheap one I can find is big and requires extra power (not Micro-USB, which would work for me..)

I've found inexpensive 720p and 1080p dongles with DNLA (like the iPush), but I'm unsure whether I can use these with Windows 8(.1) and the Venue 8 Pro? Information is hard to come by, but if you have any experience with setting it up, I'd love to hear everything!

I need to mirror my screen to our projector at school, in different rooms, so it needs to be quick and easy to setup. I have a 5600mAh battery that could connect to the dongle and power it without the need for an outlet.

I understand that you can mirror apps and media through DLNA, but shouldn't Windows Desktop be supported the same way you use Miracast? Would it be possible to mirror PowerPoint, or does the desktop not count as 'media'?

Last edited:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No, DLNA is designed for media Streaming, not screen casting. two different application. DLNA is only good for streaming video clips and songs. If you want screen casting for apps, Miracast is your only choice.

DLNA is nothing new. Almost every modern TV, any media player box, and game consoles, even audio receivers support DLNA.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
No, DLNA is designed for media Streaming, not screen casting. two different application. DLNA is only good for streaming video clips and songs. If you want screen casting for apps, Miracast is your only choice.

DLNA is nothing new. Almost every modern TV, any media player box, and game consoles, even audio receivers support DLNA.

It does sound pretty sweet. Initally I wanted to stream movies to my TV wirelessly, and it's not a bad option. Will go with Miracast I suppose if I decide to use my Venue 8 Pro for PowerPoints :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb