Surviving With A 32GB Model

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I purchased a 32GB model for my daughter but realized the Kindle File is really the best for kids her age, so ended up getting her an HDX. I've been toying around with sending this 32GB Dell Venue Pro back mainly because for the storage but instead of the hassle of returns, I was thinking of keeping it for a reader / cloud driven device. I am well into the Microsoft Ecosystem with all my music in the cloud with XBOX Music, several videos purchased with XBOX Video, OneDrive. I like many modern apps, and especially like the modern IE11 and NextGen Feedly reader. I know desktop apps can be loaded on the MicroSD, so I've got that option but not many options for a lot of modern apps especially after all updates applied. I can always uninstall modern apps that take space (like some larger games) when I am not playing them.

So without erasing the recovery partition, how have you other 32GB owners managed the space? I've gotten some tips on other posts on how to make a recovery drive and restore from it. But would like to see how I can make it work as is.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I handled mine like this, I sold the 32GB ASAP, and bought the 128GB venue pro II. And couldn't be happier. I did reinstall a copy of windows 8 I had, would up saving several gigs of space, but it wasn't enough.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I handled mine like this, I sold the 32GB ASAP, and bought the 128GB venue pro II. And couldn't be happier. I did reinstall a copy of windows 8 I had, would up saving several gigs of space, but it wasn't enough.

Well, my work ordered me a Surface Pro 3 Core i5 (256) with touch cover. But was considering keeping this 32GB model for a reader...

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The issue I foresee with that sort of use is that not only must the Metro apps be installed on C:, but so is all their data, which means if you have tons of e-books from the Kindle app for example, you wouldn't be able to store them on the SD card as far as I know.

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I did delete the recovery partition and now have a usb key tapped to the bottom of my desk. Though I don't think I really needed to for the room, I did buy a 64 gig micro sd card on sale for about 30 bucks. Looking back I probably should have used that money to just by the 64 gig version to being with, but it wasn't on sale at the time.

To sync my files, I have my documents and pictures folders nested in Skydrive and I moved my Skydrive folder to the SD card. Also installed Office over there, and all of my games. I haven't synced my music or videos but I've been streaming those for a while between Plex and Pandora / Xbox Music.

All of that to say that my C: drive is still mostly empty. I've loaded a few metro apps, but for the most part it's not used, and well within the limit of the 64 gig MicroSD card.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I did delete the recovery partition and now have a usb key tapped to the bottom of my desk. Though I don't think I really needed to for the room, I did buy a 64 gig micro sd card on sale for about 30 bucks. Looking back I probably should have used that money to just by the 64 gig version to being with, but it wasn't on sale at the time.

To sync my files, I have my documents and pictures folders nested in Skydrive and I moved my Skydrive folder to the SD card. Also installed Office over there, and all of my games. I haven't synced my music or videos but I've been streaming those for a while between Plex and Pandora / Xbox Music.

All of that to say that my C: drive is still mostly empty. I've loaded a few metro apps, but for the most part it's not used, and well within the limit of the 64 gig MicroSD card.

Thanks... I did just that. Copied my recovery to a USB... put it in a lockbox and moved my local libraries and OneDrive to the MicroSD card. About 9GB free now... more breathing room. :)

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine has 6GB space left. Somehow my OneDrive gets cranky when it's transferred to the sd card (32gb uhs-1), like it doesn't become available offline so I'm forced to keep it in internal storage. It has a few metro apps installed plus the standard office suite and endnote x7, because you know, being a student and all.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is a good guide on how to maximize memory on the DV8P:

Things to do when you get your Tablet

I have done some of this like removing the hibernation file, disabling memory dumps and I do a disk cleanup every once in a while. I average around 7 to 9 gig free all the time. I haven't gotten a large SD card yet so I haven't moved anything but the instructions in the link show how to make an SD card permanent storage and how to install apps to it. According to the instructions it is possible to install Metro Apps to the sd card.

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Here is a good guide on how to maximize memory on the DV8P:

Things to do when you get your Tablet

I have done some of this like removing the hibernation file, disabling memory dumps and I do a disk cleanup every once in a while. I average around 7 to 9 gig free all the time. I haven't gotten a large SD card yet so I haven't moved anything but the instructions in the link show how to make an SD card permanent storage and how to install apps to it. According to the instructions it is possible to install Metro Apps to the sd card.

* it was possible to install metro apps to the SD card.
in 8.1 update 1, they disabled that regedit, so you can no longer move them to your SD card.
I did read his guide when I got my system, some of them are necessary / a bit too drastic for my taste. I did disable restore points (more of a performance gain then memory IMHO) but left the hibernation file.

ipaqman1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
To gain more space, the WIMBoot option of Windows 8.1 update 1 gave me an extra 12GB of space on my 5 month old DV8P with my data and software. I have 18 GB free now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs