WIMboot DVP8

KINGINI LABS

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried the WIMboot on your dell venue 8 pro or anyother windows 8.1 devices?

I have a dvp8.1 device & would like to perform this as the device is running out of space. Below is a link that explains the steps. I got it from bing.

WimBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

Thanks in advance....

KINGINI LABS

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe the app installation would be automatic just like when you configure your account to any new windows device. But yes, we have to re install the device for sure.

ToddKlindt

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You also have to reinstall the desktop apps like Office. The Metro apps will show up but not actually download and install until you run them the first time.

ipaqman1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The revised WIMBoot guide has a procedure that seems to work on a normal Windows installation including installed software and Metro apps. I used this on my 5 month old DV8P tablet and all of the apps worked. I did not have to re-install anything.

See: Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

The second post has instructions for your current Windows installation. The first post shows how to do a factory stock setup.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
The revised WIMBoot guide has a procedure that seems to work on a normal Windows installation including installed software and Metro apps. I used this on my 5 month old DV8P tablet and all of the apps worked. I did not have to re-install anything.

See: Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

The second post has instructions for your current Windows installation. The first post shows how to do a factory stock setup.
I vouch for this method, works perfect and can be all done on the tablet.

johnnyman82

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
hi guys!yesterday i wimboot my device successfully with my current windows installed.in disk management i saw bitlocker is enabled(i had it disabled before wimboot) but there is no lock icon on drive C:/.the option is there in Settings > Change PC Settings > PC Devices > PC Info > Turn off encryption but it doesnt do anything its just stuck(i tried it to turn it off) and bitlocker option is missing in control panel...whats wrong?pls help me!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
sorry, i cant really help with that johnnyman.

but I'm at a loss right now, I've been going in circles today and yesterday, and could someone possibly provide me with a copy of the winre.wim, because all I have is the install.wim from a copy of the recovery partition and can't find it anywhere.

Don't know if the install.wim is really what i need under a different name, but its all i have.

ipaqman1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
You can fake out the simplified procedure by creating a dummy file named WinRE.wim and copying it to the USB Images folder. The procedure will skip building a Win 8.1 U1 of that file and will WIMBoot your current C: drive. You will not be able to use Windows 8.1 recovery but if you save the WinPE USB drive, you can alway recover from that USB drive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can fake out the simplified procedure by creating a dummy file named WinRE.wim and copying it to the USB Images folder. The procedure will skip building a Win 8.1 U1 of that file and will WIMBoot your current C: drive. You will not be able to use Windows 8.1 recovery but if you save the WinPE USB drive, you can alway recover from that USB drive.

Forgot to get back to you earlier, you sir, are the best.

- kilo54

simon-king

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually, you can WIMBoot any pre-built system, including a live, production Windows OS you are using.

Please check: zipmagic dot co/doublespace.html

This software saves you a lot of typing at the command-line (it works in a single-click). Additionally, it is the only software (free or commercial) which offers four grades of compression above what is available with traditional WIMBoot command line compression.

And, it can re-compress a disk any number of times - so you can keep compacting and re-compacting as your Windows installation grows and matures over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel