Windows 9 and DV8P

cammykool

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
do you guys think we will see Win9? I'm curious how MS will handle the update to 9... will dell have to push it to us or do we just do it?

some feedback and thoughts on how wits will go would be cool

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Off couse...we are... going to see Windows 9. But we don't have info on the pricing, I mean its gonna be a free upgrade for 8.1 users or you have to pay for the Os. The preview is almost ready and wp central is always there to cover us regarding any info on release of the pubic preview version. As for now you can check the leaked screenshots of the early build of the windows 9 code name Threshold.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Off couse...we are... going to see Windows 9. But we don't have info on the pricing, I mean its gonna be a free upgrade for 8.1 users or you have to pay for the Os. The preview is almost ready and wp central is always there to cover us regarding any info on release of the pubic preview version. As for now you can check the leaked screenshots of the early build of the windows 9 code name Threshold.
Windows 9 will not only be free for windows 8/8.1 user but it will be free for windows seven users too to attract many more customers or users to newly build version

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 9 will not only be free for windows 8/8.1 user but it will be free for windows seven users too to attract many more customers or users to newly build version

​Is there a reputable source on that? I keep hearing it as a (wishful thinking) rumor...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the Venue is a full-blown PC, just in a small package, you can do whatever, including install Windows 9. (heck, you cna throw linux on it)

Driver support is something else.

cammykool

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
drivers were more where my head was... im wondering how well the touchscreen drivers and such will play with it im pretty excited to be honest it looks cool!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
off topic but what is everyone doing to free up space on their 32 gb dv8p

WIMbooting it, there's a thread re: WIMboot around here with a main thread over at tabletpcforums IIRC.

If not WIMboot, moving the recovery partition to an SD card or to another device.

Tactical use of the Available offline/online-only file options of OneDrive.

Occasionally I run the risk cleanup function.

cammykool

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
WIMbooting it, there's a thread re: WIMboot around here with a main thread over at tabletpcforums IIRC.

If not WIMboot, moving the recovery partition to an SD card or to another device.

Tactical use of the Available offline/online-only file options of OneDrive.

Occasionally I run the risk cleanup function.

What's WIMboot? I've never heard of it. And I'm nervous with my recovery partition. I hear horror stories from people who do that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What's WIMboot? I've never heard of it. And I'm nervous with my recovery partition. I hear horror stories from people who do that.

WIMboot is a new method for devices where much of Windows actually runs off of the recovery partition, reducing redundancy, (one copy of files instead of two, one on C, one on the recovery partition) and saving storage.
You'd get a better picture if you search for it.

Many people have moved their recovery partition and its hard to mess up. But I recommend not doing that now that WIMboot is a viable option.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Can you give me a link?

WIMBoot is a new feature, currently available only on the desktop side of Windows 8.1 Update1, that lets computers boot directly off a Windows image file, or WIM file.

Installation guide for dv8p:
forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/a-simpler-way-to-free-up-12gb-plus-of-disk-space-using-wimboot-on-dv8p.63513/
Related links that can be helpful:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx
http://searchenterprisedesktop.tech...-file-space-with-WIMBoot-in-Windows-81-update

cammykool

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
WIMBoot is a new feature, currently available only on the desktop side of Windows 8.1 Update1, that lets computers boot directly off a Windows image file, or WIM file.

Installation guide for dv8p:
forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/a-simpler-way-to-free-up-12gb-plus-of-disk-space-using-wimboot-on-dv8p.63513/
Related links that can be helpful:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx
http://searchenterprisedesktop.tech...-file-space-with-WIMBoot-in-Windows-81-update
I don't have the stuff. And I don't know how to back up partitions or any of that stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea