Looking for France 8.1 stock OS

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if Dell provides a downloadable Windows 8.1 image for the Venue 8 Pro to get back from the 10 tech preview? If not, can anyone think of where I could get one? I was convinced I had upgraded and it looks like I may have installed it fresh.
Thanks!

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I can provide a recovery, I don't think Dell has one readily available.
Its from my Venue, which is in the US.
Thank you xandros!! Unfortunately, I have no idea how to install that. Can you help me out? Also, this is a French tablet. Any idea how I'd get it to boot for the first time in French so that I can sell it here?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you xandros!! Unfortunately, I have no idea how to install that. Can you help me out? Also, this is a French tablet. Any idea how I'd get it to boot for the first time in French so that I can sell it here?

You extract the zip file to the root of a flash drive or microSD card (heavily recommended) and plug it into the tablet.
Then, you can use Windows' Advanced Startup option in PC Settings or otherwise get into recovery to reset/refresh using the card. (I think there's instructions out there)

As for booting into French, I'm not sure.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You extract the zip file...
Thank you. I assume not the folder that comes from the ZIP but its contents (boot, efi, sources, etc). I suppose getting it on there in English is good enough. In fact, if I go through the setup process and download French, make it the default and then reset, it may go back to the inital boot in French. Maybe?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't ask, it just checks any local disk for the files necessary.

Yup, copy the boot, efi... etc to the root of a microUSB, since it asks that the tablet be plugged in for the procedure.

Also, I think you can set it up initially (with a local account), get it all updated and good to go, set French and use the command, which currently escapes me, to reenable that first use setup thing.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yup, copy the boot, efi... etc to the root of a microUSB, since it asks that the tablet be plugged in for the procedure...
It's bizarre, it just reboots and goes back to the desktop. Maybe Win10 doesn't know how to recognise the microSD slot?

EDIT: Also, it tells me I'm not signed in as administrator but I don't see anywhere in Win10 to select administrator in Accounts.

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I had to go into administrator mode and then got into recovery. However, it refuses to run the recovery off the microSD card or via a USB flash drive, any ideas?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon