How to turn Bitlocker off on Dell Venue 8 Pro

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a DV8P I installed Win 10 on. The first build went great. After upgrading to the newest build, apparently Bitlocker got turn on. I had to borrow a micro USB to full size USB because the on screen keyboard won't come up. So, it's a pain, but I can get into Windows.

Is there anyway to disable Bitlocker once logged in to Windows? Right-clicking on the C: Drive does not give the option. Searching "Bitlocker" in control panel only opens a way to enable it - not disable.

WP_20150428_16_52_27_Pro.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Run "msconfig" and under the "services" tab, uncheck BitLocker. While you're there, uncheck any services you want to disable. Be careful if you're not sure what you're doing.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried following these steps:

Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encription in Windows 8

It's for Windows 8, but should be similar.

Once I try that and get to step 3, I don't have the option to turn off.

Run "msconfig" and under the "services" tab, uncheck BitLocker. While you're there, uncheck any services you want to disable. Be careful if you're not sure what you're doing.

Just tried that. I'm familiar with msconfig and only unchecked "Bitlocker." Once I unchecked, applied and restarted, it's back locked again.

Thanks guys. Anything else?

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Actually, after restarting - it still had Bitlocker turned on. But when booting into Windows and running msconfig again, Bitlocker is still turned off.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well then, try running "services.msc" and find the BitLocker service and stop the service if it's running and then switch from automatic to disabled.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. That still didn't work for some reason. Ultimately, I just restored back to the original Windows 8 from settings, then re-installed the Win10 TP over it again. And this time it didn't lock it. No clue...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss