Trying out Win10 Build 10162

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok...
- I had a working 8.1 on the tablet, tried the 10 tech preview a few months ago. Wanted to go back to 8.1, found 10 too unfinished.
- Absolutely could NOT go back to 8.1. The 8.1 recovery image/partition was gone. Despite several people's help here, I was never able to get 8.1 recovery to run again even when provided by other users.
- Went back to an eval version of Enterprise 8.1 in the hopes it would read a 8.1 Dell V8P recovery, but it simply would not.
- Rather than be stuck with a useless tablet that didn't run anything, I just installed the 10 tech preview build 10162.
- Now I have it installed with no wifi, no touch screen. So, the tablet runs with a mouse but without WiFi, it's rather useless.

Any ideas for how to get the WiFi running and to have this thing finally working? Thanks!

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Go to Dell's website, download the related drivers, copy them to a flash drive, transfer them, run them in compatibility mode, if you face any problem go to device manager and show the driver exe's manually to Windows.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
run them in compatibility mode
Any idea how to get into compatibility mode on the 10 tech preview? Do you mean to right click and run the drivers as Win 8.1? Don't seem to see that option.

I'm also having a problem getting the tablet to get out of portrait mode. Should I just be installing all the drivers and BIOS from the DELL site?

Last edited:

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Any idea how to get into compatibility mode on the 10 tech preview? Do you mean to right click and run the drivers as Win 8.1? Don't seem to see that option.

I'm also having a problem getting the tablet to get out of portrait mode. Should I just be installing all the drivers and BIOS from the DELL site?
Under the options of the program you'll see the tab "compatibility" or smth like that. Also when you look at the drivers you'll probably see something like sensors or it is inside one of the packages , so read the descriptions. That will fix your rotation. If there is one, first do the BIOS update. Then, the order doesn't matter.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If there is one, first do the BIOS update. Then, the order doesn't matter.
Why does Dell say to do the BIOS last? Is that a more "safe" way of doing things?
"Dell recommends that you install the drivers in this order: Application, Drivers, Firmware and BIOS."

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Be aware in this latest build there is a screen lock rotation option that is enabled by default, you can swipe in from the right and turn if off.
Also, yes, they'd like you to have a "stable" system before doing a bios update that might fail in the middle of an update due to a bad driver.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Be aware in this latest build there is a screen lock rotation option that is enabled by default, you can swipe in from the right and turn if off.
Also, yes, they'd like you to have a "stable" system before doing a bios update that might fail in the middle of an update due to a bad driver.
Just checked that out. I have no screen lock or rotation button in my menu when I swipe in from the right. I'm on 10162.

Last edited:

cobrato

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
This is my first post here. I finally made the jump to W10 10162 yesterday and thought I can help :)

I suggest you re-install windows 10. It took about 30 minutes if you use a fast USB stick.

You need to do some preparation first in order to have a smooth, clean install (I assume you already have the ISO file)

Follow this guide to create a installation USB thumbdrive with Dell drivers (I can't post link, so use google search to get the link)
google/bing search: rickygao use ntlite

Get the latest Dell Drivers from here:
google/bing search: 5013 venue 8 pro 5830

The installation took about 30 minutes and you'll have all the drivers in place and working fine.

BTW, I follow this guide to do a complete backup of my 8.1 before installing win10 (the same Dell drivers can be used)
google/bing search: step by step guide create a factory image dell venue 8 pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon