05-07-2016 10:32 AM
111 1234 ...
tools
    Did the update and through a USB, and the touch screen is not responding. Anyone has an idea how to fix this?
    See My previous post.
    ndouni likes this.
    08-06-2015 07:32 AM
    I've tried everything to install 10240 on my DVP8. It always comes up after download a and preparing to install with "there are things you need to do before installing Windows 10". Doesn't say what those things are. Last effort was to reset my device and try again. Did that and got the same thing. Gave up!
    08-06-2015 12:52 PM
    I got the Windows 10 update last night through Windows Update. The update took about 1.5 to 2 hours but went really smooth. I had made about 6 gigs free prior to the update by uninstalling apps and office. I haven't had much time to use it yet but it seems like the battery life might not be as good and it might be a little bit slower than on windows 8. It seems like everything works though.
    08-06-2015 07:25 PM
    After doing an in place upgrade, I did a clean install using a bootable USB drive on a powered USB hub with a keyboard and mouse attached. You will need the newer Win10 drivers from dells site after install otherwise nothing works on the tablet including touch.

I blew away all the OEM partitions and now have over 20GB free on the 32 model with win10 installed. The Tablet is running better than it ever has a battery life is great.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    08-07-2015 12:18 AM
    I did it... worked using the forced update.

Not 100% happy with it though. Not really an OS that feels very touch friendly (compared to 8.1) hope they fix alot of issues soon but because of my general light use of the tablet ill survive. At least I have no hardware related issues... yet.
    08-07-2015 02:19 AM
    Trying to upgrade Dell Venue Pro 8 (32GB). Says there's not enough room. Cleared out everything I could. Is it safe to go with the SD option? Does that make it so the tablet will only work when the SD card is in - or is more of a temporary storage space. Will the Windows 10 install get rid of the WinBoot partition - so there's some free space left?
    08-07-2015 03:04 AM
    I tell can tell you now that going the clean install route is the best way to go! Night and Day difference in performance and free space instead of upgrading!
    08-07-2015 07:17 AM
    Please advise on difference between upgrade vs. Clean install regarding
    1. General performance, specifically Edge browsing Windows Central site.
    2. Ability to snap Windows to the sides in Tablet mode, specifically Edge
    3. Battery life/drain rate

Mine is just an upgrade and find
    1. Sometimes I get delays of up to 3 seconds before my touch is recognised to open a link (time between pressing and tab icon showing that something is loading)
    2. I can only snap successfully about 5% of the time in tablet mode. Desktop mode is fine.
    3. Battery seems comparable or slightly worse than with 8.1
    08-07-2015 07:37 AM
    Don't you have to upgrade first - to get the free activation? Are there instructions anywhere on how to do this without messing up? Anyone know what happens to the Winboot partition on Windows 8.1 with Bing after doing an inplace upgrade.
    08-07-2015 10:37 AM
    Has anyone had a smooth experience/result using the media creation tool? I was thinking of doing the upgrade then a "reset" rather than a complete fresh install. Buying a usb hub and wired mouse and keyboard just to install Windows is a hassle.
    08-07-2015 02:18 PM
    Trying to upgrade Dell Venue Pro 8 (32GB). Says there's not enough room. Cleared out everything I could. Is it safe to go with the SD option? Does that make it so the tablet will only work when the SD card is in - or is more of a temporary storage space. Will the Windows 10 install get rid of the WinBoot partition - so there's some free space left?
    It temporarily stores the install files on the SD card. I used this approach but win 10 ran pretty poorly for me so I rolled back to 8.1.
    08-07-2015 02:33 PM
    It temporarily stores the install files on the SD card. I used this approach but win 10 ran pretty poorly for me so I rolled back to 8.1.
    Windows 10 actually ran poorly for me too after the upgrade but a clean install improved everything. Performance is now on par with 8.1
    sleeve22 likes this.
    08-07-2015 02:43 PM
    Did the update and through a USB, and the touch screen is not responding. Anyone has an idea how to fix this?
    Try a USB keyboard and/or mouse and then update the BIOS and check Dell for updated drivers.

Did you install clean or upgrade in place? I did an upgrade (in-place) on a preview version and it worked fine from day one. I did see reports of problems in these forums with the touch screen when doing clean installs.
    08-07-2015 02:43 PM
    I got the "Get WIndows 10 App" and a few days ago it downloaded Win 10. As you can imagine, I had an issue with the storage. Unfortunately I couldn't find any SD-card withe more than 8 GB nor any adapter, so I tried another thing which worked out quite well for me. Here is what I did:
    • First I restored the factory settings. During the configuration process I unchecked App synch and deactivated automatic updates (very important to have mopre free space)
    • Then I downloaded new drivers form Dell and updated them.
    • Downloaded the Media Creation Tool (32bit) and choose the upgrade to WIndows 10. At first it wouldn't do it and told me again that there is not enough storage. I just hit the "back" button and choose to keep nothing (I did a factory reset anyways, so there weren't any documents or apps that I wanted to keep). And the everything went just fine.

It works well, Windows is activated, I have the impression though that it is a bit less smooth than under 8.1.
    08-08-2015 06:14 AM
    Question for those who have done a clean install...
    I'm stuck on a tech preview, can't go to any other version of Windows successfully. Since the product key is supposed to be hardcoded into the logic board on this tablet, can I just install a Windows10 ISO and expect the tablet to read the product key on its own? What happens if it asks for it? Nothing on my box or documentation shows it. And no, I can't extract it with produkey because I only ever get the product key of the tech preview that I'm running. I have an envelope with the license for Windows that came with my tablet (called "Windows 8 SmScrn Touch w/H&S 2013") but I've tried that product key to reinstall Windows 8 and it NEVER works. Concerned that I have a functioning tech preview now and will have a brick if I try to install an official 10 clean install.
    08-08-2015 11:32 AM
    ^^ I know we discussed a few months ago on getting back to 8.1 but it did not work. I actually did it again (revert back from tech preview to 8.1 stock) successfully and then performed the upgrade to 10. Give me sometime, I'll give you the exact method that works.
    tpapictures likes this.
    08-08-2015 12:29 PM
    After some unsuccessful upgrade attempts, I restored the factory image. Ran the mediacreation tool to do an inplace upgrade. After the upgrade, I deleted the original recovery partition, moved the new recovery partition to the end of the drive and extended the C drive to about 29GB in size.

Then I updated the chipset and network drivers.

The only issue I am running into is not being able to kill the login password prompt. I set it to not require after sleep. I used netplwiz and also changed the prompt signin timeout to Never. My Dell 3147 is set to never ask for the password. It works, but not the DV8P. Maybe, there is a setting I overlooked.

As for battery life, the idle runs as low as 1.19 watts which is lower than the best with Win 8.1. Sleep still uses about 1/2 percent per hour.

The new Edge browser is very fast.
    Last edited by ipaqman1; 08-08-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Decreased to 1.19 watts
    08-08-2015 05:08 PM
    ^^ I know we discussed a few months ago on getting back to 8.1 but it did not work. I actually did it again (revert back from tech preview to 8.1 stock) successfully and then performed the upgrade to 10. Give me sometime, I'll give you the exact method that works.
    Really appreciate that! Thank you!!
    08-08-2015 05:14 PM
    Anyone tried the "reset" function?
    I installed Win10 on my HP Envy X2 to try it out first - reset (keeping my files) worked fine and the only noticeable benefit is that snapping apps to the sides works after the reset. Yes, confirmed the same problem existed in tablet mode before the reset.

Wanted to try the same on the DV8Pro, but "something went wrong" and no changes were made.
    Tried it a couple more times and noticed there was problem during the reset.
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    Any ideas on what this might be?
    Last edited by Roy Khoh; 08-09-2015 at 05:06 AM.
    08-09-2015 03:00 AM
    Not 100% happy with it though. Not really an OS that feels very touch friendly (compared to 8.1) hope they fix alot of issues soon but because of my general light use of the tablet ill survive. At least I have no hardware related issues... yet.
    I'm curious to get more feedback on how Windows 10 in tablet mode compares to Windows 8.1. I thought Windows 8.1 was great as a tablet OS but not so good as a desktop OS. I'm concerned that's flipped the other way now with Windows 10. My wife is happy with her tablet they way it is so unlikely to take advantage of the free upgrade but I'm on the fence with my own.

Scott
    08-09-2015 12:14 PM
    I took the dive and made the upgrade using the media creation tool yesterday. It completed much quicker than I expected. I removed office, all my larger games and selected clean upgrade/install. So far my issues are slim. I noticed that it wouldn't auto rotate so I had to enable that manually. Other than that it works smooth.

My biggest issue however is that I have a large portion of hard drive space taken up by nothing. I have the 64GB and about 20GB is showing as used (grey) under storage. But it's not part of Windows, it's not part of the recovery partition.. It's just phantom used space. It's not a large Windows.edb file.. I've literally checked everything. And I have a strong feeling the only way to fix it is with a completely clean install via USB to free up that phantom storage space. But who owns a wired mouse and keyboard these days?? Lol
    08-09-2015 12:54 PM
    Really appreciate that! Thank you!!
    Sorry I would be traveling for a couple of days so wouldn't be able to post the details but in short this is what I had to do:

1) Install 8.1 Enterprise evaluation clean, delete all drives and let 8.1 create all the recovery drives automatically
    2) Download 8.1 recovery drive from xandros9 (you probably have this one already)
    3) Move the contents of the recovery drive to a USB drive formatted on FAT32
    3) Within recovery options, select reset (not from within advanced restart) while the USB is connected to the tablet
    4) The tablet will restart and start restoring Windows 8.1 from the recovery. It also recreates the recovery partition with the OS backup

Let me know if the recovery from xandros9 doesn't work (it did for me once, but I'm still using mine), I'll post mine.
    08-09-2015 04:12 PM
    Let me know if the recovery from xandros9 doesn't work (it did for me once, but I'm still using mine), I'll post mine.
    Ok, let me try all this again. I think the only thing different here is that I may not have tried to "reset". I'll need to know how you got to those recovery options. If I recall correctly, nothing I did or could try was getting the tablet to read my USB key with xandros' recovery on it. But I'm willing to try again.
    08-09-2015 04:47 PM
    Ok, let me try all this again. I think the only thing different here is that I may not have tried to "reset". I'll need to know how you got to those recovery options. If I recall correctly, nothing I did or could try was getting the tablet to read my USB key with xandros' recovery on it. But I'm willing to try again.
    The recovery options are on 8.1, I think you were getting there but were not able to recover from the USB. I was having trouble myself when trying out options within advanced reset options but the regular reset worked for me. FYI I didn't have to fiddle with any BIOS settings.
    08-09-2015 04:54 PM
    The recovery options are on 8.1, I think you were getting there but were not able to recover from the USB. I was having trouble myself when trying out options within advanced reset options but the regular reset worked for me. FYI I didn't have to fiddle with any BIOS settings.
    Ok, back on enterprise 8.1 through reset. About to go to the xandros recovery through reset. Here's the problem I have now that my brain doesn't wanna figure out...
    I have a USB 3.0 hub with 4 ports. The 5th port is a port that can charge. This hub also has an AC power input and a microUSB3.0 port on the back, presumably to go to the main device that needs splitting. No combination allows me to feed power to the tablet while connecting mouse, keyboard, etc to it. So reset won't let me run because I don't have power connected. So as good as this hub is, it doesn't do the basic thing I need which is to CHARGE the tablet while giving me a hub to connect several devices to... I think. This is my hub. It appears I need something that splits from the tablet to allow charging on one split and connection to a device hub on the other split.

What device do I need if this isn't it?
    08-10-2015 10:51 AM
111 1234 ...