Anyone had success with Win10 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've made all the provisions to make myself available for the upgrade tomorrow but I'm curious if the DVP8 is ready for it or if I should be holding off. I did see a video of someone using the Xbox One streaming to the DVP8 and it seemed to be working for them so I had assumed I should be good to go.

Any idea?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I started by updating from 8.1 (not a clean install) with 10074 and updating with every build since then. I had some issues early on and it's only gotten better and better. At this point, I have no issues with it at all in my daily use. As a matter of fact, this morning I got an update to the Intel Graphics, so it's obviously getting updated with fixes to improve things.

I do know that people were having troubles with touch drivers on some earlier builds on clean installs, which I haven't attempted. (I never had the issue as I kept doing in-place upgrades. I have no idea if a clean install would still be an issue.)

My usage is pretty light. Using Edge to browse, NextGen Reader and Tweetium are what I use most (95% of my usage, probably). LastPass gets used some and maybe a few other apps here and there. YMMV.

Overall, I'd say if the apps/features you use have no known compatibility issues, you're probably safe. Just make sure you have a recovery disk and a plan if it goes south. :)

Good luck!

Dan Dialogue

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm one those who had nothing but problems with Windows 10 on my DV8P. I did perform clean installs and not upgrades. I've since gone back to 8.1 and I'm hesitant to install it again right away. I also received the Intel update today and I'm hoping it's to prepare the DV8P for windows 10.

Rodney Dixon

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I have the latest bits install but I am have trouble waking up the device after it goes to sleep. The screen lights up but its blank. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks for the help.

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I've received the Windows 10 app this morning and I immediately thought of upgrading as soon as I get the confirmation to do so.
At this moment, my Desktop PC is doing it's backup thing if anything goes south. I will do the same for the DV8P.
I tested some early build on the DV8P and it was a pain because there was no touch browser and it was a hassle to work with Win 10 and touch. I think that should be solved by now and I will give it another shot.

Of course I will do a backup just in case because the recovery-process is tedious. You need a Host adapter and a small USB hub for keyboard and USB stick.

Just to leave that info here:
If anything goes south on the DV8P, here is the recovery process if anyone looks for it ;-)
Imaging requirements and process for the Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 Tablet | Dell US

Regards,

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine failed once, hopefully it installs in the morning

I am downloading the x86 ISO and would perform a clean install (bye bye 8.1) in the morning via USB.

Edit: I am currently using a USB stick created from the ISO to install. It's installing Windows 10 Home as expected. My aim to perform an upgrade and then do a clean install later.

Edit 2: The installation did not activate. So decided to restore back to 8.1. Will try to upgrade again using Windows Update.

Last edited:

anon(5373980)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I never received the "update ready" notification from MS so i ran the upgrade manually using the media creation tool. (Windows 10)

First time the setup ran it crashed with out any error. Second time it got the "Something went wrong" error and had to close it.

I only have about 4GB of disk space left so i don't know if that is the issue.

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Waited for my upgrade reservation notice, but decided to download manually and install using the media creation tool.
Chose to create USB containing both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 10. 8 GB USB required for that.

Looked up forums from here and Dell Support and still couldn't quite figure out how to boot from USB.
Freed up 20 GB on C: (with intention of going to 64 bit).
My main drive is encrypted also, so had to consider disabling Bitlocker also. But I couldn't be bothered.

Accessed USB media and launched the Setup executable. Started approx. 7pm in the evening.
Upgrade took a long time. Not sure what my battery level was at to start with as I had used tablet sparingly during the day. Maybe 2 hours in, I got worried about battery level, unplugged the USB so that I could charge it, while installation was still going. Around 99% of installation complete, plugged the USB stick back in. Got there in the end! All up, including having to sleep, I think the installation/upgrade took about 12 hours (about 2 hours to download). Maybe took this long because of factors I mentioned above.

Currently using the 32 bit Windows 10 Home it upgraded me to. Went to Dell Support site to get CPU, WiFi and BIOS updates. Recalibrated the active stylus and all appears well.

Question mark over battery life and how it compares with Win 8.1. Previous OS never bothered estimating life remaining and now it jumps all over the place creating more battery-life anxiety.

Last edited:

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I decided to use the Media Creation Tool, and to my surprise, it is handling Windows 10 pretty nicely. In my opinion, a lot better than early builds that I put on it a while ago.

Now, I'm experiencing a very annoying problem: InputPersonalization.exe keeps crashing consistently. I saw there is a hotfix for Windows 8.1, but it does not install on Windows 10. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd really appreciate the help.

One more thing... Because the screen resolution is not that large on the DV8P, I was not very happy with fonts and some buttons still felt small for me (and I don't have fat fingers); so I went to Settings > System > Display, and changed the scaling to 125%. To my surprise, Windows reports that 125% is the "Recommended" scaling for the device. It is a lot better for me. Buttons are a bit larger, but not a lot. Just perfect for me, and I find text quite easier to read too.

Pretty happy with Windows 10 on the DV8P; but I hope I can find a fix (or help) for the InputPersonalization.exe crashes. Other than that, I think it is a good experience now and safe to upgrade. I have finally upgraded all my devices at home now. Even my main desktop after a good full backup.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
How do you go about updating the 32GB model? Windows 8.1 takes 15GB. I transferred and deleted recovery partition. It's still only 10GB free. I am preparing the USB stick with Windows 10 Home 32bit. Will that be enough?

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
if you just copy the iso to a SDcard it can use the sd card as install space. I upgraded a Stream 7 with only 2Gb free that way

minipot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I also managed to successfully install windows 10 by using the commands in the command prompt to force the upgrade. Everything is working well so far, I'm enjoying using it.
Except my active stylus isn't working on it, does anyone know why this might be? Do I have to install a driver or something?

Lojik Supreme

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Two successful installs so far on my Venue 8 Pro (5830). The first was last Thursday using the media creation tool "upgrade this pc" option. I freed up 10gb of space in advance by using disk cleanup, ccleaner, and removing large apps (HERE'S TO YOU HALOs' AND HITMAN GO!). BTW just go ahead and uninstall office, since you won't need it with the new apps. Regular readers know that the new "Mail & Calendar" apps are essentially Outlook. Combine that with the other Office apps and you'll have a smaller install footprint. ;-) In the end, the upgrade took about 90 minutes.

Pros: Almost Perfect upgrade.
Cons: Live Tiles! They'll all be there in Tablet Mode, but.....they're just clumped together. You'll have to reorganize them yourself. :-\

Second Install was today. This is where it gets tricky. For a clean install, you will need a OTG adapter, usb flashdrive, powered usb hub, keyboard & mouse! Also new drivers from Dell dated last week. It's a set of three, BIOS 5830A11, 5830 Intel_Chipset_Driver_67YC3_WN32_603.9600.2067.27988_A00, and 5830_Network_Driver_RJCFP_WN32_3.7.2.59_A00.

For the OTG adapter, I suggest finding one that comes with flash memory. That way you use it to make your bootable Win10 installer with the media tool, but also it can be used later to backup the tablets recovery partition for more storage.It also will work as a OTG usb adapter for anything else. ;-) .

There's more, but it's late. And I have to customize again (spoilers). If anyone wants more info, I'll post more. BTW, can we post links? Cause I could share the resources I had to cobble together to get the second install to work. And the Amazon link for the OTG.

Last edited:

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded mine, too. 10GB was enough for the upgrade in place and I could leave it plugged in. As for the Office apps you need an Office 365 subscription to fully use them. And since I got Office 2013 Home and Student with the tablet, I installed it back.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
OneDrive WTF. What's the point of having whole folders synchronised when I don't have enough space for all of them. I want to download and delete the files as I need them and not as Microsoft commands. I posted a feedback, but I am not holding my breath.

Lojik Supreme

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded mine, too. 10GB was enough for the upgrade in place and I could leave it plugged in. As for the Office apps you need an Office 365 subscription to fully use them. And since I got Office 2013 Home and Student with the tablet, I installed it back.

10.1 Inches and under are free for the office apps. Even if you install regular Office to the microsd, subsequent updates and service packs will revert back to the primary storage taking away space. Until they get apps to sd card squared away, this is the best bet (Coming when Win10Mobile drops).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss