Anyone had success with Win10 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro?

Lojik Supreme

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
OneDrive WTF. What's the point of having whole folders synchronised when I don't have enough space for all of them. I want to download and delete the files as I need them and not as Microsoft commands. I posted a feedback, but I am not holding my breath.

I found this online to help, just don't sync your pictures or music folder, Photos and Groove can access that content directly from the cloud.

"Update 7/30/2015: It looks like the OneDrive client in the RTM version of Windows 10 does not allow syncing OneDrive to an SD card via the empty NTFS folder method if there isn't enough free space on the C: drive for the data to be synced. There is a simple workaround:

Use Disk Manager to create a dynamically-sized Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) on your memory card. Mount that VHD and point OneDrive's location to that drive. That bypasses both the size and removable media issues with the Windows 10 OneDrive client."

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
10.1 Inches and under are free for the office apps. Even if you install regular Office to the microsd, subsequent updates and service packs will revert back to the primary storage taking away space. Until they get apps to sd card squared away, this is the best bet (Coming when Win10Mobile drops).
Thanks, I did not know. So I remove the Office, install the apps and use the license somewhere else, since it is a retail, win win :)

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried everything to install 10240 on my DVP8. It always comes up after download a and preparing to install with "there are things you need to do before installing Windows 10". Doesn't say what those things are. Last effort was to reset my device and try again. Did that and got the same thing. Gave up!

taxmandan

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I got the Windows 10 update last night through Windows Update. The update took about 1.5 to 2 hours but went really smooth. I had made about 6 gigs free prior to the update by uninstalling apps and office. I haven't had much time to use it yet but it seems like the battery life might not be as good and it might be a little bit slower than on windows 8. It seems like everything works though.

anon(5373980)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After doing an in place upgrade, I did a clean install using a bootable USB drive on a powered USB hub with a keyboard and mouse attached. You will need the newer Win10 drivers from dells site after install otherwise nothing works on the tablet including touch.

I blew away all the OEM partitions and now have over 20GB free on the 32 model with win10 installed. The Tablet is running better than it ever has a battery life is great.

Ze Snake

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I did it... worked using the forced update.

Not 100% happy with it though. Not really an OS that feels very touch friendly (compared to 8.1) hope they fix alot of issues soon but because of my general light use of the tablet ill survive. At least I have no hardware related issues... yet.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Trying to upgrade Dell Venue Pro 8 (32GB). Says there's not enough room. Cleared out everything I could. Is it safe to go with the SD option? Does that make it so the tablet will only work when the SD card is in - or is more of a temporary storage space. Will the Windows 10 install get rid of the WinBoot partition - so there's some free space left?

Lojik Supreme

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I tell can tell you now that going the clean install route is the best way to go! Night and Day difference in performance and free space instead of upgrading!

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Please advise on difference between upgrade vs. Clean install regarding
1. General performance, specifically Edge browsing Windows Central site.
2. Ability to snap Windows to the sides in Tablet mode, specifically Edge
3. Battery life/drain rate

Mine is just an upgrade and find
1. Sometimes I get delays of up to 3 seconds before my touch is recognised to open a link (time between pressing and tab icon showing that something is loading)
2. I can only snap successfully about 5% of the time in tablet mode. Desktop mode is fine.
3. Battery seems comparable or slightly worse than with 8.1

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't you have to upgrade first - to get the free activation? Are there instructions anywhere on how to do this without messing up? Anyone know what happens to the Winboot partition on Windows 8.1 with Bing after doing an inplace upgrade.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had a smooth experience/result using the media creation tool? I was thinking of doing the upgrade then a "reset" rather than a complete fresh install. Buying a usb hub and wired mouse and keyboard just to install Windows is a hassle.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Trying to upgrade Dell Venue Pro 8 (32GB). Says there's not enough room. Cleared out everything I could. Is it safe to go with the SD option? Does that make it so the tablet will only work when the SD card is in - or is more of a temporary storage space. Will the Windows 10 install get rid of the WinBoot partition - so there's some free space left?
It temporarily stores the install files on the SD card. I used this approach but win 10 ran pretty poorly for me so I rolled back to 8.1.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It temporarily stores the install files on the SD card. I used this approach but win 10 ran pretty poorly for me so I rolled back to 8.1.

Windows 10 actually ran poorly for me too after the upgrade but a clean install improved everything. Performance is now on par with 8.1

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Did the update and through a USB, and the touch screen is not responding. Anyone has an idea how to fix this?

Try a USB keyboard and/or mouse and then update the BIOS and check Dell for updated drivers.

Did you install clean or upgrade in place? I did an upgrade (in-place) on a preview version and it worked fine from day one. I did see reports of problems in these forums with the touch screen when doing clean installs.

TortugaOnline

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I got the "Get WIndows 10 App" and a few days ago it downloaded Win 10. As you can imagine, I had an issue with the storage. Unfortunately I couldn't find any SD-card withe more than 8 GB nor any adapter, so I tried another thing which worked out quite well for me. Here is what I did:
  • First I restored the factory settings. During the configuration process I unchecked App synch and deactivated automatic updates (very important to have mopre free space)
  • Then I downloaded new drivers form Dell and updated them.
  • Downloaded the Media Creation Tool (32bit) and choose the upgrade to WIndows 10. At first it wouldn't do it and told me again that there is not enough storage. I just hit the "back" button and choose to keep nothing (I did a factory reset anyways, so there weren't any documents or apps that I wanted to keep). And the everything went just fine.

It works well, Windows is activated, I have the impression though that it is a bit less smooth than under 8.1.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Question for those who have done a clean install...
I'm stuck on a tech preview, can't go to any other version of Windows successfully. Since the product key is supposed to be hardcoded into the logic board on this tablet, can I just install a Windows10 ISO and expect the tablet to read the product key on its own? What happens if it asks for it? Nothing on my box or documentation shows it. And no, I can't extract it with produkey because I only ever get the product key of the tech preview that I'm running. I have an envelope with the license for Windows that came with my tablet (called "Windows 8 SmScrn Touch w/H&S 2013") but I've tried that product key to reinstall Windows 8 and it NEVER works. Concerned that I have a functioning tech preview now and will have a brick if I try to install an official 10 clean install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750