Anyone had success with Win10 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro?

ddmartin

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from 8.1 to build 10240, and then installed the final release.

I didn't have a problem with the microphone, but I did have a problem with the Bluetooth driver. I looked in t he device manager, and it showed that there was a driver problem. I uninstalled, and deleted the driver, and then scanned for changes. When the driver automatically reinstalled, it was fine.

I actually like the Win 10 UI better than 8.1. I use tablet mode with the taskbar hidden. If I want a software start button, I swipe up from the bottom to show the taskbar. For switching apps, I sometimes use the task switcher and sometimes use the taskbar. (I show apps on the taskbar in tablet mode.)

I've also installed the Office mobile apps.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I never got that prompt on the pre-A11 and A11 BIOS
Ok, so...
Dongle plugged in and charging while connected to my hub for mouse, keyboard etc and the USB flash drive with the xandros recovery on it. Went through instantly and installed a proper Dell Venue 8 Pro to my tablet. Whew!! ...but... it says Windows isn't activated. So, I try my product key and it doesn't work. Says "that key can't be used to activate this edition of Windows". The product key I have is from when I sent the entire tablet back to Dell here in Europe to repare several things and they replaced the main board.

Any ideas why I can't apply that product key here?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using phone activation? I had the same issue with my existing product key and the phone activation method worked.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried using phone activation? I had the same issue with my existing product key and the phone activation method worked.
You mean activating by calling MS? What about if I now use the USB recovery flash drive they sent me when I called them about not being able to roll back to 8.1 from the tech preview? They sent me a version of Windows 8.1 called "Windows 8.1 Home x86 RTM Dell Direct Key "

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Tiny update... tried the USB drive that Dell provided me with, it won't run without being plugged into power. Plugged it into power with Dell's own dongle, Dell's recovery won't see that you're plugged in. I think this recovery thinks you're on a computer not a tablet.
Anyway, all I need at this point is to get my version of Windows verified.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Does it say your product code is invalid? If yes,, do this. Install KeyFinder from Magic Jelly Bean and check your Windows 10 key. Note it down and re-enter it again in the Enter new Product Key section. If it doesn't activate (try it) then it will give you an option to call MS. If not then check the MS support site in your country.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Does it say your product code is invalid?
"That key can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key."

So, then I try to use the one I got from Keyfinder and I get...
"The product key you have entered appears to be a default product key and cannot be used for activation." Never any option to call in.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your region and time settings are in sync to your original OS, also turn off encryption if possible and then try activating. If it still doesn't work then since his recovery restores the recovery partition as well try resetting device to factory.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Make sure your region and time settings are in sync to your original OS, also turn off encryption if possible and then try activating. If it still doesn't work then since his recovery restores the recovery partition as well try resetting device to factory.
This is absolutely shocking (well, to me, anyway), putting everything back to my original language and region settings (French keyboard, French language, French display, French etc etc etc) I reapplied the exact same product key and it activated in a few short moments.
I had been starting to try this long method but for some reason I feel like activating with the xandros image that came from the same tablet, just a different country, is more "accurate".

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Success! Thanks to the advice and tips from this forum - did an in-place upgrade - and it went very well.

The Microsoft engineers who build the upgrade routine for devices with small amounts of storage deserve kudos. It's amazing how well it works. It even gets rid of the recovery partition after the upgrade - and frees up tons of space! Brilliant! Do it! This is truly an upgrade!

Here's what I did.

1. Formatted a 16 GB micro SD card to NTFS
2. inserted the micro SD
3. Commenced the upgrade.
4. When said - not enough space- used the 16 GB SD card
5. The upgrade ran for quite some time.
6. Venue Pro 8 booted up to Windows 10 for the first time
7. This is important: Screen was sluggish (at first). System gradually automatically updated all its own drivers - most importantly - the Intel display driver. This made the screen work really smoothly.
8 Also important: There were 2 or 3 Windows Updates that fixed problems with the store not working. Again, done automatically.

The system took a few reboots to really start to work well. But now it's great.

ankit_5036

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
i tried to install windows 10 and after 70% process, it rolled back to windows 8.1. the error was 0x80070002.
please help...
from microsoft upgrade diagnostic tool it shows error "system registration is missing or corrupted".
couldn't solve this problem.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans