Anyone had success with Win10 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You guys won't believe this but in trying to fix the 'not waking from sleep' and 'WiFi disappearing' issues I spoke to Dell on Twitter who had me go back to Win 8.1 because they claimed I needed to go back, update all the drivers related to display and network and THEN update to Win10. Well, I've got it back on 8.1 and, of course, I can't activate again. I'm on the 8.1 version Dell gave me on a USB stick, I switched everything back to the original language as I did last time and nothing. It refuses my Activation Key. So, now I'm on 8.1 again, unactivated, and have no idea what to do again. What does Dell say? "Hmmm... maybe you should talk to Microsoft?" THEY put me through all this troubleshooting! I went back to 8.1 because of THEM, and now when it doesn't work they say, talk to MS? As if I needed a reason to not buy anything from Dell again.
So, now what...
Try restoring to the xandros backup? How, via what method?
Try just updating those drivers and going to 10 to see if it activates itself?

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Nothing to lose by going to Windows 10 again.
Plus, I think Windows 10 activation is based on (and linked to) the device's hardware, not anything to do with Windows 8 license.
I've had problems with WiFi before too, but it was always with Flight Mode activation. Didn't matter whether it was Windows 8 or 10. I've just stopped using flight mode altogether... Sorry airlines.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Trying to go back to xandros' image from this basic Windows tablet version so I can get all the original software and it's not taking the image no matter how I do it. Can someone remind me of all the steps? Which way to do the actual restore, FAT32 formatted USB drive, folder contents in the root, etc...
I have to try this because it simply will NOT take my product key at all like it did last time. It won't even take the restore USB drive that I made last time.

Lorena Williams

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
So, to make things clear, what I'd have to do to upgrade after doing it manually since I did not get the message, is that clean install and I'd need to buy an OTG adapter, usb flashdrive, powered usb hub, keyboard and mouse! plus, to download new drivers from Dell. Is this correct? All this seems such a mess to me, more considering the fact that I just got this tablet today.
I was thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 and almost did today, until a message showed saying that there was not enough space but after reading everything I'd have to do to upgrade to Windows 10, I'm seriously reconsidering it, since I need this tablet to do work for university and I don't think I'll have all that time to buy all those things but if in the future I do, does the keyboard and usb has to be a specific type (brand, etc or you can use any? And there's no way of installing it without having to buy all those stuff? I wanted to buy a keyboard because it'd be easier to write but not the mouse....
If someone could help me, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Oleg Bondarenko

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
my update on DELL Venue 8 pro 3G was successfull...without any complains...but IT didnt fix my problem CELLULAR connection!!
and I made factory reset
I still cant restore mobile connection.No cellular network in menu

bitan00

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I successfully upgraded my dv8p to Win 10 via media creation tool.. Used win 10 for about 1 month... No problem.. Better than 8.1. Only problem is sometimes Wi-Fi not connecting until I restart my device...and sometimes when I unlock it, screen goes black .. need to force shut down then.. Otherwise just fine.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

lotsofloving

May 7, 2016
Visit site
no problem with the upgrade here but must install MS and dell updates very important !! tablet rocks like new from ebay 50$ using 3 months now love it a few problems along the way like wi-fi but they were short lived

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've now TWICE gone from 8.1 to 10, doing it correctly both times, in the proper order of operations, proper Macrium backup and everything and no matter what I do my WiFi always always fails on 10. The moment the phone goes into sleep mode, the WiFi simply won't work anymore and it causes a reboot. For the work I do, I need the WiFi to work when I turn it on without fail. I don't have the time to be fiddling with rebooting when I'm using it to show someone something and then have to say, "oh, sorry, let me just reboot 'cause my WiFi isn't running". Once or twice when I'm at home is fine but not when I'm working or doing something important. So at this point, it's sitting there uncharged because I just can't deal with it. I've run out of things to try. And trust me, I've read EVERY forum out there on this problem and it's written about extensively all over the internet. Just look up "Wifi" and "Venue 8 Pro problem"

In addition I have countless emails and tweets and forum posts saved where I've dealt with (or tried to deal with) Dell's horrendous customer service. Basically I've done this with them three times and when they run through their usual tests and always end up at the same conclusion that it's the TABLET that is messed up, not Microsoft, not the drivers, they find a way to blame me for not having updated properly, or they force me to hard reset which never fixes anything, or they tell me I should have taken care of this before the warranty was up. Except (oops for them) I did send it to them before the warranty was up and they went as far as to replace the whole logic board. It solved the permanent sleep mode of the screen but caused the exact same exact problem with the WiFi. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm surprised nobody else has this issue? Not even when people have upgraded to 10? If anyone does know what I'm talking about, did you ever find your own solution?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99