Question about official Windows 10 installation...

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So, here's my situation that I'm looking for some thoughts on...
I had the DV8Pro on 8.1, tried one of the 10 tech previews a few months ago. I was one of the people who was never able to restore back to 8.1. Simply never worked, I tried EVERY supposed solution and even had a few very nice people help. No luck. I figured, better ot have the last tech preview on there than having the tablet be a brick so I installed that instead. Everything works fine. Question then: since the serial number is supposed to be hardcoded into the logic board on this tablet, can I just install a Windows10 ISO and expect the tablet to read the product key on its own? What happens if it asks for it? Nothing on my box or documentation shows it. And no, I can't extract it because I only ever get the product key of the tech preview.

Any ideas?

btate0121

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I was in the same situation you were in. I tried a prerelease of W10, it was fun for a while.... then I wanted to go back but ruh roh.... Stucksville.

I actually ended up formatting my hard drive so there was NO way to boot into any version of Windows.

Here's what I did....You'll Need the following

Dells USB Data/Charge combo cable - Dell Micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging : Tablet Accessories | Dell,

This lil guy is handy.. I suggest you get one of these if you own a DV8P. I got mine for UNDER $20 with next day shipping using a discount code.

An 8GB thumb drive - throw a rock.. you'll hit one.

DV8P Restoration Image - You'll find instructions and the files you need all in this thread - http://forums.windowscentral.com/dell-venue-8-pro/280394-download-recovery-partition.html

It had my DV8P running smoothly after fidgeting for about a half a day or so (depending on your level of experience with these things).

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same situation you were in...
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. Clearly you know how frustrated I am right now, having gone through it yourself.
Some questions for you...
1. I've got a USB hub with 3 standard 3.0 ports and one additional port for charging. Do you think that would work the same as your dongle?
2. I've actually seen that thread. It was one of the many threads I read when I was trying to revive my tablet and where I got that recovery image from. But I still don't understand what method you're meant to use. If you don't mind, what exactly did you do from the point that you had the tablet completely formatted? I've never had the guts to completely format it. You don't have to tell me every little thing but just an idea of each step you took. I'd really appreciate it.
3. So, once you went from a completely formatted tablet and reinstalled that recovery image you never had the installation ask you for your product key? It saw it automatically? Because I kept getting asked for it when I did my attempts.

Thank you, again!

doylebob

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

OK...your reply is pretty quick and a lot on details.
I have a brand new Dell Venue Pro 8 with 32GB storage. Came with 8.1. I have to re install 8.1, then inplace upgrade to Win 10. then I can re install clean Win 10 and not have the darn 9.5GB recovery partition.

I cannot in place upgrade to Win 10, no matter that I delete and un install, I don't have enough space. I can't in diskpart delete the darn 9.5GB recovery partition. Dell sent me a usb cable and USB thumb drive to clean install 8.1. They gave you no instructions other than those for a pc where the menus are not the same.

What I need are clear steps when I boot with the USB Drive, I choose the toshiba MSFT option, then America, english...then what? And how to stop it from booting again to the usb drive. i have had this tablet a week and am essentially sending it back in a day unless I cna make this work.

Make sense? :) Because in a week no one at Dell has the faintest clue what I am talking about.

Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys... This is the most helpful thing I saw in past for managing recovery via USB stick on Dell V8P: Step-by-Step guide to move Recovery Partition to USB and reclaim up 6+ GB without 3rd party software | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

For those who do not have the Dongle, look for one of these which works oh so well on Dell V8P without separate power: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...on/303126-anyone-using-leef-bridge-3-0-a.html

NEVER do recovery maneuvers via hub. Bad juju, that is.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
doylebob,

My 1520.3 at 6" made the 8" V8P kind of redundant. I sold her off to a good home many moons before Windows Insider came along...

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So, can anyone else other than btate0121 confirm what the steps are here to go from a formatted DV8Pro to one running 8.1 with the tablet's product key and with all Dell's drivers, to a tablet running 10?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills