Upgrade to windows 10

TotteB

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I'd like to upgrade my Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32 GB to Win 10. The problem is that I don't have enough disk space to do it.
I've went back to Win 8.1 after testing Win 10 Tech Preview.
The only apps I have installed is the default ones.
Can anyone advice me on how to get the necessary 8GB of free space on the disk?
Disk clean up - Check.
Remove Recovery Partition - How to do that?
Remove unnecessary windows updates - Which?
Add a MicroSD - Will that be of any help?
Format the disk and update from ISO-file via USB-cable (or WIFI?) - Is it possible and how can I be sure to still get Win 10 for free?

Any help is appreciated

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You must have more than the default apps installed. I've got the same configuration DV8. And BTW, when I started the upgrade it told me that it needed 5 GB, not 8. I had already done the disk clean so I deleted MS Office (figuring I could always reinstall), Skype and related Skype programs.

That seemed to do the trick, the upgrade is churning away now

Guardsix

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I removed about everything I had installed (which wasn't all that much) and then did the windows clean program. It must have did what it needed because after a refresh, it took off and installed. I had very little trouble getting Win10 on my 32GB Venue Pro 8. I was kind of surprised!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TotteB

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for kicking me in the right direction :)
I had 4,5GB free and was unable to upgrade. I read on "some forum" that 8GB was needed.
When you, mhc48 said that 5 should be enough I did see the light in tunnel. Uninstalling MS Office would free 250MB but when that was gone I gained about 1,5GB :)
The light in tunnel was no train... Win 10 did install without any problem :)
Once again, thanks

doylebob

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. And I wish could delete the hidden Recovery Partition that uses 9.5GB. I posted a separate post on this too.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I put the ISO on my SD card, and ran it. It will come up with a warning that the on board drive does not have enough space, and that you can use an SD card. I just kept following the on screen questions and it installed with 4 GB free on my main drive. Run as an upgrade, not new install though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss