CPU Clock Speed on Windows 10, Help!

Maxi8

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone!
Since I upgraded to Windows 10, I noticed a change in clock speeds. Before the upgrade, the CPU would run at 0.6 Ghz when idle. Now, however, it takes "advantage" of the Turbo Boost feature all the time and runs around 1.8 Ghz without load. CPU usage remains very low when idle, around 7%. I already disabled Turbo Boost in the bios, without any effect though.
I am a little worried about CPU and battery life. Is there anything I can do?

Greetings from Germany!
Max

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here; right after upgrading from Windows 7, my CPU has almost always been overclocked to 2.9GHz (normal is 2.4GHz). Back in Windows 7, the highest overclock speed (Turbo Boost) is 2.8GHz. Nonetheless, I've been monitoring the temperature and as soon as the temp is within 10C of the maximum temperature of the processor (T junction), the processor starts to reduce the clock speed.

I'd say that the way overclocking/turbo boost is handled in Windows 10 is better than it was in its predecessors - greatly reduced number sudden over clocking and sudden under clocking (which results in jitteriness in gaming) - at times this is even completely eliminated, making my gaming experience a lot smoother (same hardware, better OS).

So, as long as the processor temp doesn't reach T junction, your processor should be fine, and I think Windows 10 is doing pretty well at monitoring and regulating the processor clock speed in this regard. As for battery life, the processor isn't really the main power-eater in a laptop - there's the screen and the HDD (if you're using HDD), the fan*, and the mother board itself, plus Wi-Fi antenna. The processor does consume some power, but not the majority of it... and considering that Windows 10 only improves a bit on the clock speed management, the effects of the changes in how the processor behaves should not have a significant effect on battery life.

*- The fan speed should be related to the temperature of the processor, which is correlated to processor load - but processor clock speed isn't directly correlated with processor load. I haven't noticed any changes in how the fan behaves in Windows 10 - perhaps the update drivers which came with the OS are the cause.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
A new Dell BIOS A12 was released on 10/16/2015 that addressed CPU issues.
Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 System BIOS Driver Details | Dell US

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 System BIOS

This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes
- Not Applicable.

Enhancements
- Enhanced touch function under BIOS setup menu.
- Enhanced CPU performance for Win 10
- Modified some information in SMBIOS to meet Win10 requirements.

BIOS
Version A12, A12

Release date
16 Oct 2015
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss