Venue 11 Pro with Slim Keyboard standby issues

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Calling all fellow Venue 11 Pro owners! :D

Some background:

Dell Venue 11 Pro - i5, 4G RAM, 128 GB Storage, Win 8.1 Pro

Slim Keyboard Cover

Whenever I have the venue 11 attached to the slim keyboard and it's in standby, after some time when trying to use the device, the screen does not respond at all. Removing the keyboard cover has no affect. I have to reboot the system to use the touchscreen again. If I don't have the cover attached, and it goes to standby, I have no issues with the screen.

Tech support says this is a design feature as customers prefer to use the keyboard when attached so the system disables the screen after wake from standby. That answer makes no sense since I could be standing up and unable to use the keyboard but might want to access the screen. I understand disabling the on screen keyboard while the keyboard cover is attached but usually, I can remove the cover and the on screen keyboard will appear again. This doesn't work after standby.

Anyone else having this issue and is there a fix for this?

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
There might be a fix. I've tried it, will test and report back:

1) Run regedit

2) Browse to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\
3) Locate each entry labeled VID_06CB&PID_2819xxxxx (I have four on my machine, one that ended in 2819 only and three others with 2819&MI_0x where x is 0, 1 and 2)
4) Expand each tree until you get to the "Device Parameters" and click on it
5) On the right side of the editor, you'll see an entry for "SelectiveSuspendEnabled". Change the value from 1 to 0.
6) Repeat for each VID_06CB&PID_2819xxxxx entry.

7) Close regedit, shut down and restart.

8) Check if this has resolved the issue or not.

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a BT keyboard from ebay I was thinking of buying that one, guess I will skip it unless you find a solution...

Turns out, it's happening with the tablet dock also. I have a ticket open with Dell. I'll let you know what they find.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same tab, this one is a lot faster than the Dell Latitude 10. But the touch screen on the Latitude did work when it was in the dock though... I didn't want a dock for this one, the case/keyboard combo is working..

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the Latitude 10 as well. The Venue is a much better machine by far but you're right, I didn't have any touch panel problems with my L10. It's got to be some kind of Windows issues where coming back from standby, it's not activating the touch screen again.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I broke down and bought Dell Mobile Tablet Keyboard Battery for Venue 11 Pro DPN D1R74 | eBay I put a offer of $110 on it and the seller accepted. So far no problems, only been using it a day, and basically I only use the tab to read the newspaper at work. I guess some day I when I go on vacation it will get more use, but it serves my purpose, Kind of nice to gave a second battery built in, now I probably will go a lot longer without plugging it in.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Calling all fellow Venue 11 Pro owners! :D

Some background:

Dell Venue 11 Pro - i5, 4G RAM, 128 GB Storage, Win 8.1 Pro

Slim Keyboard Cover

Whenever I have the venue 11 attached to the slim keyboard and it's in standby, after some time when trying to use the device, the screen does not respond at all. Removing the keyboard cover has no affect. I have to reboot the system to use the touchscreen again. If I don't have the cover attached, and it goes to standby, I have no issues with the screen.

Tech support says this is a design feature as customers prefer to use the keyboard when attached so the system disables the screen after wake from standby. That answer makes no sense since I could be standing up and unable to use the keyboard but might want to access the screen. I understand disabling the on screen keyboard while the keyboard cover is attached but usually, I can remove the cover and the on screen keyboard will appear again. This doesn't work after standby.

Anyone else having this issue and is there a fix for this?

I have the same issue as well, will open a ticket and see where it gets me as it is annoying, have you posted on the dell forums?

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue as well, will open a ticket and see where it gets me as it is annoying, have you posted on the dell forums?

I did post on Dell but haven't had a response yet.

BTW...this issue also occurs on my mobile keyboard (the one with the battery) and the desktop dock.

If you feel like testing something else, I'm curious:

When your slim keyboard is attached, the on screen keyboard is disabled right? But the slim keyboard only works when at a certain angle to the tablet (at least on mine). If I fold it behind the tablet, the keys don't work, which they shouldn't like on the surface. The on screen keyboard should pop up instead but it doesn't. Very annoying if I'm walking around. Does this happen with yours too? I'm hoping I can talk to an engineer at Dell to look at that issue.

I've been having some other issues with my tablet and Dell is sending a replacement.

UPDATE: I guess the onscreen KB not working when slim is folded back is a known issue:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19535674.aspx?pi239031352=9

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
When your slim keyboard is attached, the on screen keyboard is disabled right?

Not mine, it can get annoying popping up if I tap a text area, but once I hit a key on the keyboard it goes away.

But the slim keyboard only works when at a certain angle to the tablet (at least on mine). If I fold it behind the tablet,

You can fold it back behind the tablet? Mine won't do that, it would break the keyboard. It opens up like a regular laptop.

I've been having some other issues with my tablet and Dell is sending a replacement.

UPDATE: I guess the onscreen KB not working when slim is folded back is a known issue:

Venue 11 Pro - Slim Keyboard not behaving as expected or it should. - Windows Mobile Products - Mobile Devices - Dell Community

I think it may be that my keyboard is a older style that Dell doesn't sell anymore. Well I hope they get it working for you... This is as far as mine bends:

tab.jpg

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
That keyboard you have there is the mobile keyboard with battery. I have one of those as well. The slim keyboard looks like this.

c26-tablet-keyboard-slim-1-l.jpg
So it's really a keyboard cover that folds around the tablet.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a generic one that was like that for the Lat 10, bought a hard shell for the Venue. Ripped the plastic Lat 10 shell from the case and super glued the venue case to it. It worked ok, but after a while I decided it wasn't what I was using it for. So I bought the "snap-on" keyboard. Offers no protection for the back, but works fine for the screen.

Scot Coyle

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I have this same issue and I believe I have found a piece of the puzzle. NOt sure its a solution but maybe it'll push the issue further to resolution.
From my testing the device was initially set under power options to go to sleep after 4 min when on battery and I believe 2 hours when plugged in. The system also can manually be put to sleep by pressing the power button or when affixed with a keyboard to close the keyboard. It appears to wake from sleep with touchscreen functionality if its manually put to sleep. If I let the system put it to sleep due to an idle condition it wakes up but WITHOUT touchscreen support. In some case(still testing) the keyboard/touchpad doesn't even function.

I'm testing by setting auto sleep to "Never" when plugged in and 2 hours when on battery. If I can put it to sleep with a power button press and it will wake up fully functional after 2-3 hours or overnight then I'm going to switch the sleep on battery to "Never" as well. It will just be something we have to tell the user.

Also if you have a link to the thread over at Dell I can follow along there. Thanks.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Found something interesting, the keyboard has a battery, but for some reason the tab drained first and the tab though drained about the same time as the keyboard, it drained slower. So my keyboard had juice, but the tab didn't. So it wouldn't let me logon. Of course this was after 2 weeks on and off of stand-by...

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI:

I'm waiting on a replacement tablet from Dell, since my dock connector stopped working completely with my dock station and keyboards. It's been a few weeks now. I wiped my original tablet clean so it's ready to ship back to them when the new one arrives. Once the new one finally gets here, I can do more testing.

Oh and BTW when troubleshooting the issue with Dell TS, they wanted to swap both keyboards instead of the tablet at first...

:eck:

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
So I got my replacement tablet this week and ran some tests. So far no issues on this one with any of the keyboards or the docking station. The screen responds like it should from standby. Not sure if they updated the software or if it was because of the hardware on the old one.

johnj2803

May 16, 2014
Visit site
i am eyeing to buy the slim keyboard too.

did dell replace the tablet AND keyboard for you?

i just got my dvp11 from repairs from dell because of severe double tapping when using the on screen keyboard. looks like its still doing it. so might get the slim keyboard'

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
i am eyeing to buy the slim keyboard too.

did dell replace the tablet AND keyboard for you?

Just the tablet. The keyboard actually works great except for the issue of not being able to use the on screen when folded behind the tablet.

i just got my dvp11 from repairs from dell because of severe double tapping when using the on screen keyboard. looks like its still doing it. so might get the slim keyboard'

If you can get the slim keyboard, I think it's worth it. It's a cover and keyboard after all. I also got the battery keyboard and that one is pretty sweet too.

When you say double tap, do you mean tapping a key and multiple copies of that letter appear? If so, that happens to me sometimes but not as bad as yours. Did they say how it was repaired? New touch panel? If it's still happening maybe send it in again?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs