kbanes

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I would be very careful about this. I too, am stuck on AT&T. And I too dearly wanted the Dell Venue Pro.

And while I couldn't find any definitive answer, I will tell you what Wikipedia says.

AT&T supported frequencies are:

Frequency↓ Protocol↓ Class↓
850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
850 MHz UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA 3G
1900 MHz UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA 3G

T-Mobile, on the otherhand, is listed as

Frequency↓ Protocol↓ Class↓ Notes
850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Non-native accessible via roaming agreement
1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Largest network in the United States
1700/2100 MHz UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+ 3G Uses AWS Auctioned Spectrum

So, I took that to mean that a phone designed to work on T-Mobile would not work on AT&T's 3G network.

This was just Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. it might work OK, in which case I will crying all over my Focus in a couple of weeks. But I got the Focus for $99 at AT&T (I got some kind of "Loyalty" discount. Don't know why.) I just don't know that I could have dropped another $400 to get a hardware keyboard and worse screen.

kbanes

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You would have to buy it from T-Mobile off contract ($500+), find a way to unlock it which will probably be painful if not impossible since it's a brand new phone, and then you would only be able to use the Edge network (2G). 3G won't work due to the frequency differences.

All in all, I don't see how anyone could find this to be a good route to go. Your BEST option (but still a bad option) would be to wait for the international Dell Venues to launch, and snag one up from an international carrier that will work with AT&T's frequencies (ie: phones from Rogers in Canada will connect to AT&T's 3G network). Even this route would be stupid expensive, probably $600+ plus having to deal with international shipping, and you would probably still have to find a way to unlock it.

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
mgarcia, I thought as much. I went ahead and bought a Surround, and I'm actually very happy with it. But yeah, what you're saying seems true, and it just isn't worth it. Oh well.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I hope Dell will come out a new version for ATT. I love my Samsung Focus but Dell Venue Pro looks more attractive!!!

I could be mistaken, but so far they seem to be married to T-Mo in the US

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion