Locking Up

Ericnyc646

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone and the operating system, but I am having a big problem with the phone locking up.

It locks up so bad I can't turn on the device or the screen freezes where it is at. Then I have to remove the battery and restart. Sometimes I can go through a whole day working heavily and no problem, then charge it and wake up the morning and its locked up.

Anyone else having this?

Last edited:

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have heard others having this problem and they have called dell and had the device replaced, so far I have only heard back from one person that has done this and is not havng anymore lockups ? I'm woundering if it was a bad batch of phones...

Lionstone

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be a pretty big thread over at XDA with people having lockups. This Dell thread has more info on the subject - Dell Venue Pro crashing - Mobile Devices Forum - Mobile Devices - Dell Community

I have had it a few times and it seems to be an issue with the WiFi. I have not had a lockup so far when not using WiFi.

I'm definitely the odd one out. All of my lock-ups have happened when *not* on wi-fi. But they all share a common thread - I got tired of waiting for something to load (such as the radar map on the Weather Channel app) due to the slow cellular connection, and tried to back out of it. The weirdest one I had was I got back to the main menu, but then nothing would happen. Launching anything (even a native app) would just reload the main menu after a couple seconds of black screen.

All in all, it's only happened once in the last three days since I stopped using the Marketplace, so I'm not worried.

Also, my firmware revision is different than the example screenshots from the deviceinfo threads about the RAM. I'm wondering if some phones went out with old firmware by mistake.

Ericnyc646

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I justed called Dell. They told me it looks like I have a short in my phone so they are sending me a new one. Will keep you advised.

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I factory reset my phone last night. I am back from vacation and now in a much better coverage area but the lockups are even worse. I was also getting problems with keeping a cell connection as well.

Had to call Dell this morning and they will be sending out a new phone. If the hardware was not so nice on this one I would have given up long ago. Far too many problems for a device that costs this much money. I have my fingers crossed with the replacement. If this one has problems I think I will give up for now.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The hardware is nice when it works. I am trying to be patient to see if they can make it right.

I feel the same, though it would be nice if Dell would issue some sort of information that acknowledges the issues and that they are working on them.

I'm not seeing lockups, but I have basically given up on wifi for the time being. With WiFi enabled I consistently have problems. With it disabled, I don't have any issues.

ronbo2000

Retired *****istrator
Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
Wow, I really want to try this phone. But seeing this is making me think. I tried to order thru Dell but the customer service told me that they only sell for AT&T. I am currently under TMo.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I really want to try this phone. But seeing this is making me think. I tried to order thru Dell but the customer service told me that they only sell for AT&T. I am currently under TMo.

Dell customer support told you that? Weird, I purchased mine online including porting to TMo. Dell screwed that up of course, but once I got onto the phone with a good TMo support rep, it went smooth as silk.

I'd suggest trying again, or just checking online (see Dell Venue Pro Windows Phone 7 Smartphone Details | Dell) and walk thru the purchase wizard, I'm guessing it will work fine with an existing TMo contract.

Ericnyc646

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Exchanges are on back order pending production. I think this is good and bad. First of all, I won't get a phone from an earlier batch which we know has problems. It also means I have to wait and deal with the lock ups.

I discovered what causes 99% of the lockups - wifi. If I have wifi on and then charge the phone, it locks up. I know WP7 os does alot of things in the background to keep the phone up to date when it is charged and I think the wifi just can't keep up or is not working properly so it locks up. Am I right.

ATT version, I did not know that was out yet. I thought this version is TMO only and the ATT version just went through the FCC. Some of the reps do seem clueless.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
If you have a Dell Venue Pro and your phone locks up run this code and send the results to the following twitter accounts @dellcares @lionelatdell
There seems to be alot of people having trouble with the phone locking up
Dells Hardware is making the Windows Phone OS look bad.. and its all harware related

If your #dellvenuepro is frequently locking up, try the CIT test (dial ##634#) and see if SD card fails

Ericnyc646

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried the CIT test and it passed, I will try the test again with the wifi on.

Now I try to go to the phone area and it kicks me back out the home screen, I have tried several times, restarting the phone.

Ran the test with wifi on and it passed every single test.

Weird, but if I leave wifi on and charge it, it will start to lock up.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i know this is probly not link to the issue direcly but!

if your using a 3rd party Charger for your phone its been know to lockup/freez the phones screen.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I just received my replacement phone, so far so good, its not locking but I have to give it some time to see if it is really fixed.

Got my fingers crossed for you dude..
Ive had the dell for about 3 days and the only time it locked up was when I plugged it into my car charger but my car charger is not that good I had windows mobiles lock up with that charger ... my samsung focus has never locked up other than I needed to restart it because of the marketplace but thats a known bug..
I still don't have a sim card yet for it which should be here over the weekend so I have only been using it with the wifi... with no issues.

gyrferret

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I placed my order the 24th of december and got it a couple days later. But, unfortunately, it locks up like mad on WiFi. I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks before I ask for a replacement. Plus, part of the bezel is chipped and backlight seeps though. Distracting much?

Ericnyc646

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
My new DVP that I received on the 19th does not lock up anymore. I have been using it for almost a week without one lockup. I keep Wifi on all the time with it connected to my home Wifi when I am home. I am finally a happy customer.

Now, fix the occassional stutter when I play music and I will be even happier. I hear that also happens on other phones so it seems to me (might be wrong) to be a WP7 OS issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss