I RMA'd today :(

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I love the phone. Love the keyboard, think the display is beautiful, but I finall yhad one too many lockups to keep working through it. There are other minor annoyances that i could live with, but the major wifi problems as well as freezes with wifi disabled just tell me Dell has some work to do.

Interestingly I had no pushback at all, simply called Dell mobility, told them I was having repeated lockups and sadly would like to return it, and they did the paperwork without any questions - makes me think they recognize that they have a bit of an issue on their hands.

Good luck to everyone that is going to keep on target with your DVP - hopefully they can work out the issues soon and if so, I probably will come back.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
raremage,
did you replace it with another WP7 ?
and did you ever just have it replaced ? I have a dell venue pro coming tomorow and from what dell is saying is that there will be an update to fix some of the stuff, I'm sure we have heard this before but I just can't beleave they would not be rushing to get the stuff fixed ... I have also seen many different firmware versions ...

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I myself have returned a few for various issues but for some reason keep coming back for more. The form factor and the screen are great and the fact that my first "Engineering Sample" worked well but since it was an engineering sample I exchanged it.

If anyone has specifics on what Dell has said "officially" that would be great. I have heard rumors and people saying a rep told them this or that but I have yet to see anything specific. I certainly hope that they are working on fixing these issues.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
gshocker,
from what I have read from dellcares twitter account they claim that the windows update will fix the problems that the dell venue pro, now will that fix them all ?
I'm not sure since they have released the phone with bugs over and over again
I have a hard time beleaving that its a software issue other than maybee there is a new driver for the sd memory that is in the unit since it seems like people are running tests on the sd card and it will fail sometimes and others it wont.
keeping my fingers crossed..

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I also have a hard time with the Windows Update will fix it.. The other phones do not seem to be having issues.. I can understand if there were widespread bugs but this seems to be a Dell issue. Both the Focus and HD7 that I have used were smooth and not any major issues.

gyrferret

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I personally am waiting till the update to see if that resolves any issues. After that, I'm going to wait to see if they finally get production back up, at which time I'll consider using my warranty to exchange my DVP for a "better" one.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I also have a hard time with the Windows Update will fix it.. The other phones do not seem to be having issues.. I can understand if there were widespread bugs but this seems to be a Dell issue. Both the Focus and HD7 that I have used were smooth and not any major issues.

I agree, I don't see their claim as any more than a stopgap explanation while they continue to evaluate and work on a real fix. I woul dhope it is a driver flaw that can be addressed by a firware update, but it certainly seems possible it is a hardware flaw as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the form factor and as I've said elsewhere, think the DVP has about the best hardware keyboard I have ever used on a smartphone. But my phone just has to work, which is why I'm returning mine.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
raremage,
did you replace it with another WP7 ?
and did you ever just have it replaced ? I have a dell venue pro coming tomorow and from what dell is saying is that there will be an update to fix some of the stuff, I'm sure we have heard this before but I just can't beleave they would not be rushing to get the stuff fixed ... I have also seen many different firmware versions ...

I had it replaced once and still had the same issues; as noted elsewhere, the replacement units appear to still have the issue.

For the time being I'm not inclined to continue with WP7 personally; I'm test driving a Nexus S and frankly the experience is much better, despite what I consider to be a disconnected UX in Android in general. Again, I love the WP7 concept, but the lack of stability is disconcerting. I had a Focus for a while and suffered through random restarts and occasional loss of configuration (in which case was attributed to use of an expansion SD card).

Bottom line, in my opinion, I'm probably going to distance my self from WP7 for a few months untiol the first or second revisions are in place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb