Protect your tech:Get an Upsie warranty & save up to 70%
    8.1 on Dell XPS 12 kills your trackpad drivers so you lose button function, two finger scrolling, and the ability to drag things with the touchpad. Looking online this is a problem other XPS 12 owners have experienced.

I'm assuming we will get a new driver soon that solves this,but for now DO NOT INSTALL 8
    1 ON A DELL XPS 12
    HeyCori and xandros9 like this.
    08-01-2013 05:31 AM
    Thanks for the heads up
    08-01-2013 06:05 AM
    8.1 on Dell XPS 12 kills your trackpad drivers so you lose button function, two finger scrolling, and the ability to drag things with the touchpad. Looking online this is a problem other XPS 12 owners have experienced.

I'm assuming we will get a new driver soon that solves this,but for now DO NOT INSTALL 8
    1 ON A DELL XPS 12
    Actually, this is not true. If you uninstall the trackpad driver in device manager (checking delete driver) and then reinstall it, you will get the functionality back. Even if you don't want to reinstall and just use as a standard trackpad, it will work normally, just without advanced features. Given the additional drive space available after installing 8.1, and the impressive performance, I would install it even if not easily fixed. As it stands though, I see no point to a trackpad on a device with a ten point touch screen anyway and keep it disabled. BTW, the ALL CAPS SHOUTING of what is really just an opinion is hardly necessary. It is not as if 8.1 corrupts the hard drive or crashes the system.
    ajst222 likes this.
    08-01-2013 09:49 PM
    I will try reinstalling the driver, I really want to get 8.1 back

However, without reinstalling the driver you are completely unable to click and drag without using a button. This is not an advance feature, this is a basic feature. The buttons only work if you hit them very hard (harder than normal), its not usable without a mouse. If re-installing the driver fixes the problem then that's great.

I was just trying to prevent people from upgrading until the problem was resolved, especially since going back to Win 8 requires rolling back to a restore point and not a simple uninstallation.

in summary: GO SUCK A ****

(the caps means I'm shouting it at you)
    Last edited by jhguth; 08-16-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    08-02-2013 10:31 AM
    I will try reinstalling the driver, I really want to get 8.1 back

However, without reinstalling the driver you are completely unable to click and drag without using a button. This is not an advance feature, this is a basic feature. The buttons only work if you hit them very hard (harder than normal), its not usable without a mouse. If re-installing the driver fixes the problem then that's great.

I was just trying to prevent people from upgrading until the problem was resolved, especially since going back to Win 8 requires rolling back to a restore point and not a simple uninstallation.

in summary: GO SUCK A ****

(the caps means I'm shouting it at you)
    I think that's a little rude and uncalled for. When you use all caps, that generally makes people not want to read what you are saying as it is annoying. Also, when you click and drag by using the button, that is a basic feature. I'm a little confused on what you are talking about when you say without using the button. This really isn't a big deal. When I installed Windows 8 on my laptop that was on Windows 7, I had to reinstall the Symantic trackpad drivers. Not a biggy.
    08-15-2013 01:31 PM
    Duh its rude, that was on purpose. Similar to the use of all caps. I KNOW WHAT ALL CAPS MEAN.
    08-16-2013 12:59 PM
    Thread locked. Infraction sent.
    08-16-2013 03:10 PM