Who wants the new XPS 12?

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I was so happy when I discovered the new Dell XPS 12.

I'm considering the XPS 12 in front of the Surface Pro 4 because of:
  • Optional 4G (it's a shame that Microsoft doesn't offer it for the Surface Pro 4)
  • More stable keyboard for use on your lap (looks more stable than the Surface Type Cover)
  • Not one but two USB Typ-C ports (feels future proof)

XPS 12 has Intel Core M Skylake SoC - just like the Surface Pro 4 base model.

This may not be desirable for everyone but the Intel Core M seems quieter and cooler, which is quite important for a hybrid tablet.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm very interested. Waiting for official pricing and order info in the US.

I like the fanless core M and solid specs. Still considering a SP4 as well, but for what I'm going to be using it for, the xps 12 probably makes more sense.

E-mail, lots of videos, internet, rdp into other systems, maybe some casual gaming, etc. So yeah, it sounds promising.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Not only does this device has 2 USB Type-C ports, but they both support Thunderbolt 3 and it is certified by Intel for eGPU use. I hear the Microsoft Store in Bellevue, WA has them today, so I will be heading up there shortly to see if I can get one. I think this device is way better than the Surface simply because it has universal connectors. The Surface Connect port is a deal breaker for me on the whole Surface line.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone manage to find one of these yet? I see the Microsoft Store has pushed release back to December 30.Not sure if it will really be available this year or not.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone actually get one of these? The reviews on Amazon are all 1 star. Sounds like the battery life is 1-2 hours only. If that's true, pretty sad for a tablet. Still can't find one in store. Was at 2 Microsoft stores last week and they didn't have them.

DanielNTX

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I picked up the XPS 12 with UHD and 256GB for $800 shipped last week. Battery seems to last 4 to 5 hours just surfing the web. There is a WWAN slot but the SIM card slot is blocked and has to be dremelled out. I picked up the slim multi-angle keyboard for $70 and the the thunderbolt dock for $100. So far I like it.

Also it does support NVMe SSD but only 2 channels and not 4.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I picked up the XPS 12 with UHD and 256GB for $800 shipped last week. Battery seems to last 4 to 5 hours just surfing the web. There is a WWAN slot but the SIM card slot is blocked and has to be dremelled out. I picked up the slim multi-angle keyboard for $70 and the the thunderbolt dock for $100. So far I like it.

Also it does support NVMe SSD but only 2 channels and not 4.

I have a Dell Latitude E7270. It is pretty common for base models to have the WWAN slot, but base models often do not have the antennas run and therefore the sim slot on these models are not removable. I am guessing your model does not have the antennas run for the WWAN card. I have the WWAN card on mine and there is a sim pin slot to pop out the sim tray. I have seen many models where the sim tray in not removable.

And same here about the NVMe on the E7270, only supports 2 channels but still blazing fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss