Why is it after I suspend/change the user, I can't play any media?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why after suspend/change user i cant play any media?

Hello, I bought a new Dell XPS 13 and i was watching some movies with VLC and it worked fine, then i suspend and at the next time i tried to use VLC it didn't work, I tested some other software, same issues, with edge its the same... It only works after i restart the PC. The laptop is fully updated, and must be a software issue. Any idea about what is causing this issue and how to fix it?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why after suspend/change user i cant play any media?

Hello, I bought a new Dell XPS 13 and i was watching some movies with VLC and it worked fine, then i suspend and at the next time i tried to use VLC it didn't work, I tested some other software, same issues, with edge its the same... It only works after i restart the PC. The laptop is fully updated, and must be a software issue. Any idea about what is causing this issue and how to fix it?

by suspend you mean sleep or hibernate?

Do you have to restart every time or it was just that once?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

DelScipio

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

Hello, its me :). Its when sleep, and happenend more than 1 time.
The temporary solution that i found was to restart. After a restart it works just fine without issues till the next time i put in sleep. It happens in VLC (plays 100ms and pauses, i press play and it doesn't plays, its frozen), Edge (can't use youtube nor listen to my favorite online radio, that i think it uses HTML5) and Vivaldi.
Never had nothing like this. A curious thing is that the software stops working, i have to close VLC throught task manager, Edge freezes and Vivaldi forces close.
I have McAfee, the laptop is fully updated. Could be any display driver issue? Dell says its all up to date, Intel says no, but that the graphic driver is a custom one so he can't update.

Any idea?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Hello, its me :). Its when sleep, and happenend more than 1 time.
The temporary solution that i found was to restart. After a restart it works just fine without issues till the next time i put in sleep. It happens in VLC (plays 100ms and pauses, i press play and it doesn't plays, its frozen), Edge (can't use youtube nor listen to my favorite online radio, that i think it uses HTML5) and Vivaldi.
Never had nothing like this. A curious thing is that the software stops working, i have to close VLC throught task manager, Edge freezes and Vivaldi forces close.
I have McAfee, the laptop is fully updated. Could be any display driver issue? Dell says its all up to date, Intel says no, but that the graphic driver is a custom one so he can't update.

Any idea?

I'm thinking the programs don't behave well when coming out of sleep. A suggestion would be to disable those apps from running in the background if possible or closing them when you're about to put the laptop to sleep

DelScipio

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

I thought about that too, but in fact that makes it worst. I called Dell right now, they told me that is a known issue with the new Dell XPS 13, and the solution right now its to disable Sleep and put in on Hivernation. Gonna see if it works, but i will keep calling them till i have a definitive solution.

DelScipio

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Changing it to hibernation didn't solve nothing at all.
Against the recommendation of Dell I uninstalled the Dell graphic drivers and installed Intel, more updated ones, and solved my problem, till now. They came out 3 days ago and in changelog they address to this problem.
The best is that the update also fixed my blur screen problem that was a "Windows problem" but it looks it was as driver problem too.
Gonna keep testing, but till now it works fine.
Thanks Chintan Gohel for the aid!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Changing it to hibernation didn't solve nothing at all.
Against the recommendation of Dell I uninstalled the Dell graphic drivers and installed Intel, more updated ones, and solved my problem, till now. They came out 3 days ago and in changelog they address to this problem.
The best is that the update also fixed my blur screen problem that was a "Windows problem" but it looks it was as driver problem too.
Gonna keep testing, but till now it works fine.
Thanks Chintan Gohel for the aid!

you're welcome, at least my posts got you thinking in the right direction :excited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos