Dell XPS13 9360, Killer Wireless and wtf is happening with my Internet Connection?

ergattonero

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
OK, maybe the title of this discussion is not so much explanatory.

CONTEXT

I've bought the new Dell XPS13 - the 9360 model - and I love its design, it's smoothness and so on - but there's a problem with the internet connection which is driving me crazy.
- If I use the Dell XPS13 outside (in my office, in a bar) Internet is working fine
- My home connection is working fine with all of my devices (Xbox, smartphones, old Macbook Air, a sad Asus netbook...)
- If I try to connect the Dell XPS13 on my home network, the connection is a mess. Unstable, slow, unusable.

I thought it was a problem of compatibility between the Killer Wireless chip and my router, so I bought a new AC router. Nothing (but now I have a better connection at home, at least).

I don't understand what the problem might be. Do you have any idea?

And: can I update the driver of the Killer Wireless module directly from the website of Killer (Killer Networking - Killer Suite) or should I wait for the driver to be released on the Dell support website?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I would try the latest Killer driver. I doubt Dell have customized it in any great way. If they have you can always go back.

There's no logic to what you are describing as you've replace the AP. I would of course ensure you have the latest firmware on that. Are you using 2.4GHz elsewhere which is most common and 5GHz at home? Perhaps the incompatibility is when the Killer uses 5GHz. Try switching it to 2.4GHz as a test.

RivetNetworks

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello Ergattonero,

I'm a customer support representative for Rivet Networks, which makes the Killer Wireless Adapter. You can absolutely update your drivers or use the Killer Performance Suite that is listed on our website with your product. We do also recommend making sure that whatever version of Windows you are using is completely up to date, as well the firmware for your new router.

As another user here suggested, testing if there is a difference in the performance between the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands is a good troubleshooting step to start with after you've had a chance to make sure all your drivers/firmware are up to date.

We definitely want to make sure we can get you up and running at home as soon as possible. If you still have issues after following the above steps please contact us directly by email at killersupport@rivetnetworks.com with a brief description of your issue (you can feel free to either reference this forum post in the email, or copy/paste your post) so we can continue to assist with this.

- Killer Support

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
i would like to download the suite but which one is the correct one for the new XPS 13 i just picked up today?

the Killer E2200/E2400 + Killer Wireless Suite or the Killer E2500 + Killer Wireless Suite 64-bit

thanks

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
- If I try to connect the Dell XPS13 on my home network, the connection is a mess. Unstable, slow, unusable.

I thought it was a problem of compatibility between the Killer Wireless chip and my router, so I bought a new AC router. Nothing (but now I have a better connection at home, at least).

i have the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC and do not have any issues with my home network. just thought i would throw that out there

ergattonero

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi there fletch: it's kinda the same thing, because the E2500/E2200/E2400 are *ethernet* controller and the XPS13 doesn't have an ethernet port.

I'd use the 2500 one, if I'd have to pick one.

ergattonero

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
By the way, a quick update: it wasn't a problem with my laptop, but with my router. Or something similar.

I had to convince my internet provider to change it with a more modern one, and then everything went ok. Still: I don't know what the problem was, but now I'm happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos