Why am I not able to clean install windows on my new SSD?

rajlodhiya

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
Device- XPS 15 2-in-1
OS- No OS. Installed a new empty Samsung EVO Plus SSD
No specific error messages.

I changed the SSD on my laptop and was trying to do a clean windows install from an external harddrive. I had to change a few things (Secure boot, thunderbolt configuration) in the BIOS for the setup to run, before that, it said "no bootable device found". After the step in installation when the setup takes 10 seconds to restart, the setup resumes from scratch. In disk selection, I'm seeing the setup files it already installed on the new ssd. In BIOS boot sequence, I'm seeing diskette drive, USB storage, CD/DVD Drive, Onboard NIC in legacy external devices and the old SSD (now uninstalled) on it in UEFI. Any help is appreciated.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess I have a few questions.

What version of Windows are you trying to install? I'm assuming 10 but don't like to make assumptions.

If it is 10 I don't see anything in the instructions for the ability to use Thunderbolt connection for installation.

This could be the issue.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Device- XPS 15 2-in-1
OS- No OS. Installed a new empty Samsung EVO Plus SSD
No specific error messages.

I changed the SSD on my laptop and was trying to do a clean windows install from an external harddrive. I had to change a few things (Secure boot, thunderbolt configuration) in the BIOS for the setup to run, before that, it said "no bootable device found". After the step in installation when the setup takes 10 seconds to restart, the setup resumes from scratch. In disk selection, I'm seeing the setup files it already installed on the new ssd. In BIOS boot sequence, I'm seeing diskette drive, USB storage, CD/DVD Drive, Onboard NIC in legacy external devices and the old SSD (now uninstalled) on it in UEFI. Any help is appreciated.

Instead of installing from an external hdd, it would be best to use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB or download the iso via the media creation tool and use Rufus to create a bootable USB.

In regards to your issue, try disabling legacy boot and either holding ESC or one of the F# Keys for the boot options list. On it you should be able to see an option to either load UEFI Boot and then navigate to the install files on the external hdd.

If nothing works, try using a bootable USB.

Or as Golfdriver 97 said, try a disk cloning program like Minitool's partition wizard or shadow maker.

rajlodhiya

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
Its done. Installed and working. The problem was that the laptop came with RAID on default. Had to change that to AHCI and it worked like it should've. Thank you for all the replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3