Are Celio deliberately excluding non-approved smartphones, or am I missing something?

Midgeslayer

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I got my Redfly from Expansys UK today :) . I do not have a smartphone on Celio’s approved list, but I had read in various reviews that the Redfly will work with other smartphones. The reviewers said they used the drivers for approved smartphones and although the results were not perfect they basically worked. I have an HTC p3600 (WM5) and an HTC Touch Cruise (WM6).

When I went to the Celio site I found that I could not specify which drivers I wanted to download, as the reviews had suggested. What I downloaded was an installation program which told me ‘you do not have an approved smartphone’ and ended the installation process. I downloaded this same program as a .EXE for installation via Windows Mobile Device Centre (Vista) and as a .CAB ‘over the air’ directly to my phone. Same program, same result.

Am I missing something? Or has Celio changed the way it distributes its drivers so people with ‘unapproved’ Smartphones cannot use the Redfly?
I really hope someone can advise me how to get the drivers I need. Otherwise I will have to send it back :confused: .

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Midgeslayer,

We did in fact change the installer last week to automatically detect the phone and install the appropriate driver. If you don’t have one of the 20 supported phones, the installer will return an error message and not install the driver.

PM me and I’ll see if we can send you a .cab file for a phone-specific driver that will install without complaining to you about your phone model.

While we don’t officially support phones not listed at http://www.celiocorp.com/smartphone/ some people have had success using a non-supported driver.

We’ll get back to you in time for you to install the driver and see how it works within your return window so you can get your money back if the driver(s) won’t work on your phones.

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Midgeslayer,

We did in fact change the installer last week to automatically detect the phone and install the appropriate driver.

Do your installer also check for the version of the OS. Example: I have a Sprint Touch with WM 6.1. Will I be able to install the Sprint Touch 6 driver on my phone?

Midgeslayer

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Driver Request for Colin Kelly

Colin, Thanks for your very swift reply. I don't know what 'PM me' means! The drivers I am after are: 1. Verizon, Treo700w/wx, Palm, Windows PocketPC 5 and also 2. AT&T Tilt, HTC, Windows Professional 6. My email address is sbtaylor1 at fastmail.fm I like the idea of the Redfly so much I may even get a new phone for the sake of it, however, I would like to try my existing phones first. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
While we don?t officially support phones not listed at http://www.celiocorp.com/smartphone/ some people have had success using a non-supported driver.

This is a disappointment as many of the phones the drivers work perfectly fine on aren't listed.

Case in point, the Sprint 700wx. With WM5 or WM6. According to your site only the Verizon 700wx is supported (with only WM5 I assume).

I've always wondered about that....

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
slbailey1,
The installer does also check for the correct OS version. However, we have a beta driver for the Sprint Touch on 6.1 (I'll send you details).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
slbailey1,
The installer does also check for the correct OS version. However, we have a beta driver for the Sprint Touch on 6.1 (I'll send you details).

The Sprint q9c has had WM Standard 6.1 for a while now also. I'd have to imagine it wouldn't take much more effort to support that, as the AT&T q9h is nearly identical and has a 6.1 driver. Any word on that being supported anytime soon?

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
You guys definitely aren't blocking unapproved models, as I successfully installed the latest version of the driver OTA onto an HTC Touch Diamond (GSM), and it is working fine.

p.s. I used the older version on an HTC Advantage X7510 with no problems too, but I haven't gotten around to trying the latest update yet.
-

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
In the near future, if the installer doesn’t find a supported phone, it will give you some kind of option to install other drivers at your own risk. While we don’t support installing drivers on non-certified phones, many people have asked for it so we’re going to make it happen soon. In the interim, if you need a specific driver, email support@celiocorp or call 1-8884REDFLY and we’ll hook you up.

Midgeslayer

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
In the end I got my non-approved Smartphone working (HTC p3600, WM5). The Redfly came with a CD which had a driver installation application which obviously predated the the Downloadable app I had the original problems with (see 1st post in thread). The CD application installed what from its name seemed to be a generic WM5 driver on my HTC p3600 and the Redfly works ok. The home screen is a mess, it won't recognise my usb mouse and It only once recognised the USB SD memory card drive I plugged into it, but apart from that its ace!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs