Ethernet support

dc_in_sf

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
So one of my use cases for the Redfly is as a laptop replacement when travelling internationally. For a scenario like this my unlimited data plan becomes useless and I need to rely on the wi-fi support in the phone. Unfortunately every now and again you hit a hotel that doesn't support WiFi and provides an ethernet port instead.

It would be fantastic if a future version of the redfly could provide a ethernet port that could be leveraged in when the phone is connected (even if only by USB).

In the meantime has anyone found a really small wireless AP or had any success in using something like a wireless game adapter to extend a hotel ethernet jack into the wireless realm?

MrMediaGuy

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm not normally a huge fan of D-Link products (a few bad AP experiences), but I have to admit I use and *love* their tiny travel router here. You should be able to find one for about $50. It's tiny, and once you configure it the first time it's pretty much plug and play in any hotel. I can have a wireless hotspot up and running within 30 seconds of checking into a room.

dc_in_sf

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm not normally a huge fan of D-Link products (a few bad AP experiences), but I have to admit I use and *love* their tiny travel router here. You should be able to find one for about $50. It's tiny, and once you configure it the first time it's pretty much plug and play in any hotel. I can have a wireless hotspot up and running within 30 seconds of checking into a room.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have one of these waiting for me at the post office. Will report back how well it works with my Tilt/Redfly combo.

dc_in_sf

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm using the Dlink AP to connect right now, have to say it is really nice and small, and the travel case is a nice touch. I do wish they'd used a mini usb connector for the power supply though as I could have reduced my cable count by one.

kodiakdjd

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
The D-Link pocket router works well and can easily turn an ethernet connection (in a hotel room) into a wireless hotspot.

That also allows one roam wirelessly in the room without ringing long cables wih you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea