So one of my use cases for the Redfly is as a laptop replacement when travelling internationally. For a scenario like this my unlimited data plan becomes useless and I need to rely on the wi-fi support in the phone. Unfortunately every now and again you hit a hotel that doesn't support WiFi and provides an ethernet port instead.

It would be fantastic if a future version of the redfly could provide a ethernet port that could be leveraged in when the phone is connected (even if only by USB).

In the meantime has anyone found a really small wireless AP or had any success in using something like a wireless game adapter to extend a hotel ethernet jack into the wireless realm?
    08-28-2008 04:55 PM
    I know someone with this who like it, but I haven't used it myself:
    Linksys Wireless Travel Router WTR54GS
    It's been discontinued so you can find a few close-out deals.
    -
    08-28-2008 06:09 PM
    Those WAPs seem to available for about $90 shipped from ebay which I guess is not too bad.
    08-29-2008 12:20 PM
    what about using a usb to ethernet adapter? Just need drivers, right?
    09-03-2008 02:12 PM
    I'm not normally a huge fan of D-Link products (a few bad AP experiences), but I have to admit I use and *love* their tiny travel router here. You should be able to find one for about $50. It's tiny, and once you configure it the first time it's pretty much plug and play in any hotel. I can have a wireless hotspot up and running within 30 seconds of checking into a room.
    09-10-2008 10:22 PM
    I'm not normally a huge fan of D-Link products (a few bad AP experiences), but I have to admit I use and *love* their tiny travel router here. You should be able to find one for about $50. It's tiny, and once you configure it the first time it's pretty much plug and play in any hotel. I can have a wireless hotspot up and running within 30 seconds of checking into a room.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have one of these waiting for me at the post office. Will report back how well it works with my Tilt/Redfly combo.
    09-19-2008 01:21 PM
    I'm using the Dlink AP to connect right now, have to say it is really nice and small, and the travel case is a nice touch. I do wish they'd used a mini usb connector for the power supply though as I could have reduced my cable count by one.
    09-19-2008 03:12 PM
    Dude, didn't old apple newtons have an ethernet card? This would indeed be sweet.
    10-09-2008 10:38 AM
    The D-Link pocket router works well and can easily turn an ethernet connection (in a hotel room) into a wireless hotspot.

That also allows one roam wirelessly in the room without ringing long cables wih you.
    10-14-2008 07:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD