05-24-2009 04:48 AM
59 123
tools
    @ me2....wow...settle down dude....if you're this mad buy a netbook and be done with it...
    04-04-2009 06:56 PM
    @ me2....wow...settle down dude....if you're this mad buy a netbook and be done with it...
    If you'd bothered to read the previous post, you'd see that I have - which is part of my beef!
    04-04-2009 07:08 PM
    I have 2 of the wall adapters and a car adapter and have had no problems at all with the power plugs not seating well in the Redfly. Are you using some weird UK or EU power adapter?
    04-05-2009 04:15 PM
    I have 2 of the wall adapters and a car adapter and have had no problems at all with the power plugs not seating well in the Redfly. Are you using some weird UK or EU power adapter?
    Nope, just the one supplied by Celio, like the others in this thread who had the same problem until they got out the knife. The problem isn't with the plug, but Redfly itself, in the way the socket sits behind, instead of being flush with, the Redfly case. The case wall is marginally too thick so the plug can't go deep enough in to lock. I guess this may have changed slightly in later revisions of the Redfly, or is affected by tolerances in case thickness and how closely to the case the socket is mounted.
    04-05-2009 05:12 PM
    In defence of CELIO, I have already posted regarding this issue so I dont want people to use my post as a new case.

I have had 3 Power Supplies (Bricks) that all had the problem with 2 RedFly's.
    First unit was my original from Expansys and was the worse of the 3 as far as staying put goes.
    Expansys did a swap out, and the next unit was almost as bad. Then I learned through Googling that it was a known issue so I just decided to let it go (being there was no apparent solution).

I ncontacted CELIO about 2 months ago to see if there had been any type of improvement or new vendor for the AC Power supplies. They very nicely sent a replacement. It has the same problem, no change.

Summation
    2 original Redfly 800s with 3 Power Supplies.
    Fairly bad percentage I must say. So I got out the Ol knife and am making do.
    Last edited by Wireless; 05-27-2009 at 02:17 AM.
    04-05-2009 08:24 PM
    To bring some good news to this thread, Laurie has very kindly shown me
    a sample redesigned PSU intended for the international market which does
    away with the need to carry around bulky adapters. The unit is smaller
    and lighter (75x45x30mm approx) so much more "bag friendly", and has a
    flush mounted "Figure of 8" IEC320 Type 7 mains socket so the user can
    opt to use a mains lead of their choice (a US one was supplied - I guess
    this could be changed at the discretion of local distributors?). The DC
    connector has also been modified and now locks into the Redfly with a
    positive click and solid connection. Therefore I'm pleased to report
    (with Laurie's approval) that the new PSU answers all the criticisms I
    have levelled at it in the past.

I understand the first priority is to make the new PSU standard for new
    international orders (as these are the ones who have major issues with
    the adapter). For the domestic market it may eventually supercede the
    "brick" once stocks of the original type have been depleted. However I
    can offer no information on timescales or whether this will be available
    as a replacement through the accessory store, as these are commercial
    decisions for CelioCorp alone. I suspect this will depend on what
    stock levels are available after demand for the bundled units is met.

So in conclusion I'm happy to end this matter on a positive note and say
    that the redesigned PSU is now truly befitting of a "Mobile Companion".
    Many thanks to Laurie and Celio for responding to customer feedback so
    well. If you have any queries regarding availability please direct these
    through the normal support channels (i.e. support@celiocorp.com).
    05-10-2009 07:47 AM
    Laurie has certainly shown me a genuine care for her product as well as her customers.
    She is certainly an asset to CELIO as well as to us, the End Users. :)
    05-15-2009 06:14 PM
    I haven't had any problems either, best of luck in fixing issue
    05-24-2009 02:50 AM
    I also find that the connection into the Redfly unit it poor, but it is tight enough to charge.

The problem I have is that the US mains connector does not sit anything like tightly enough into the supplied US->UK adaptor. I have stack all three together, US->EU->UK, to get a secure connection into the mains socket.

The quality of the charger components is obviously much lower than that of the Redfly unit itself. The Redfly feels nicely designed and well constructed. It's solid enough for me to feel quite happy about shoving it in aircraft overhead storage. (How do people with a MacBook Air do that?? I'd feel like I was carrying 1000 sheet of glass!!) It does seem like it was the cheapest charger Celio could find.

Graham.
    05-24-2009 04:48 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD