The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-02-2014 07:11 AM
69 123
tools
    WayFinder gps software seems to work fine too.
    10-29-2008 02:28 PM
    Documents To Go actually works pretty poorly on the Redfly (with a Palm Treo 800w) when I type; the response is absolutely atrocious and it's constantly refreshing the screen. Typing a sentence causes it to lag behind, oh, about 10 to 15 seconds.

I had to switch to Pocket Word (which responds to my keystrokes instantly).
    I looked around for Pocket Word here and google. Would you mind posting a link?
    10-29-2008 08:43 PM
    I looked around for Pocket Word here and google. Would you mind posting a link?
    Pocket Word is what comes with Windows Mobile.
    10-29-2008 09:19 PM
    TomTom 7 works but you have to start TomTom on your phone before you connect to the Redfly.
    10-30-2008 03:04 PM
    Latest SkyFire beta (0.8) still doesn't work woth RedFly.
    11-01-2008 08:37 PM
    I have tested out 2 stock quote programs, and both work amazingly:

1) Quotrek (quotrek.com).
    I have tested this out in 2 Java environments, the one included with my ATT Tilt, as well as IBM websphere. It works great on both, allowing for much larger quote screens, and charts that extend much farther back than with the regular screen on my phone.

2) Pocket Quotes (pocketquotes.net). As with Quotrek, the program runs smoothly and takes full advantage of the larger format.

3) Wall Street Journal
    This little app (online.wsj.com/public/page/mobile_download.html) gives you all the news from WSJ, Barron's and Marketwatch in a nicely packaged interface. It works great.

In addition to these WM programs, I use logmein.com to get into my office PC to view the service that I use there. I saved a workspace sized to the Redfly's screen dimensions, so with one tap I have a screen fully configured to the proper size.

So in all, the redfly has worked out beautifully for these (and all other) applications.

Good Luck
    Steve
    Last edited by sjescott; 11-02-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    11-02-2008 09:51 AM
    Both work excellently
    11-02-2008 10:35 AM
    TomTom 7 works but you have to start TomTom on your phone before you connect to the Redfly.
    I'm glad you mentioned that because I finally got Garmin XT working using that trick!
    11-02-2008 09:13 PM
    Kinoma Play works great on high-resolution Windows Mobile devices, but the Redfly is not a Windows Mobile device.
    Seems to me it's analogous to having hi-res video on a PC and watching it on a big-screen TV rather than a 17" monitor. I agree that not everyone's setting that up yet. In more and more situations, though, it makes sense--if you have the hardware, use it.

My understanding is that it's not practical to use with multimedia applications, even if it was possible.
    Again, looking at my PC/TV analogy above, it seems worthwhile, if not yet feasible. Just watching a short video clip? Pulling out the smartphone is the simplest and easiest way to go. Suppose, though, you want to watch something longer. Suppose you want to show it to multiple other people at once. That's a lot easier if you have that bigger screen.

Also, this seems a logical next step for mobile video--appeal to potential users who wouldn't watch without a bigger screen.
    11-02-2008 10:16 PM
    Suppose you want to show it to multiple other people at once. That's a lot easier if you have that bigger screen.
    I agree, but it's not possible possible to squirt full-screen video from your phone to a CPU-less terminal via Bluetooth, etc. At that point you'll need a netbook ($350 now, <$200 next year).

-- Charles Wiltgen
    11-03-2008 12:26 PM
    Isilo works with the large screen. It is a document reader.

isilo.com

I have reference library on it.
    11-06-2008 10:48 AM
    here's my WORKING app list.. i might add that i love my redfly.. still not perfect.. but i love it.

Apps
    • SPB Diary
    • Olive Tree Bible Reader
    • Pocket E-Sword
    • Ereader
    • MS Live search (FANTASTIC in gps mode)
    • My Mobiler - a sidenote about this app.. it doesn't run ON the phone. what it does is display the phones screen on your pc.. and allow you to use the pc mouse and keyboard to operate the phone. it's great for PRETENDING to do work while shooting out personal emails and txt msgs... not that that's what I use it for or anything. So when you connect to the redfly via bluetooth.. it actually changes the resolution of the display on the PC screen (see the screenshot attached)
    • RSS Hub
    • Total Commander

these are the apps I use most and they all work.

another side note.. for those worried about what works and doesn't work.. it's mostly graphic intensive apps that don't work (video players and some games).
    Last edited by btate0121; 11-06-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    11-06-2008 01:44 PM
    [*]My Mobiler - a sidenote about this app.. it doesn't run ON the phone. what it does is display the phones screen on your pc.. and allow you to use the pc mouse and keyboard to operate the phone. it's great for PRETENDING to do work while shooting out personal emails and txt msgs... not that that's what I use it for or anything. So when you connect to the redfly via bluetooth.. it actually changes the resolution of the display on the PC screen (see the screenshot attached)
    Soti Pocket controller does this too. (tried it after I read your post.)
    11-06-2008 02:00 PM
    Also Softmaker Office works tethered with a small amount of lag. Too much over bluetooth.

Microsoft reader also works which I find interesting because it does not work in WM 6.1 in landscape due to cleartype issues. It is however a little fuzzy.
    11-06-2008 02:27 PM
    Both eReader and Mobipocket reader work quite well. Mobipocket can be turned to landscape mode, and it's like reading a paper book. About the same size too.
    11-06-2008 04:27 PM
    Both eReader and Mobipocket reader work quite well. Mobipocket can be turned to landscape mode, and it's like reading a paper book. About the same size too.
    I think I'd like it if Mobipocket could do a 2-column view. I dont think I could stand to read it turned sideways. That said, I've read hundreds of boooks on PDA and phone and feel no compulsion to start reading books on my Redfly.
    11-06-2008 06:04 PM
    iGuidance 4 on a Treo 750 seems to work fine. The screen on REDFLY sizes properly only if you launch it from REDFLY after syncing to the phone.

On a side note I can see how setting REDFLY up as the screen for your GPS Nav program would be much better than using the phone's screen. Might have to search around for any kind of installation kit that could be adapted.
    11-08-2008 09:45 AM
    Has anyone tried Repligo with Redfly?

Thanks,
    LD.
    11-08-2008 09:01 PM
    If you start the app before you connect to the Redfly, it works, but fuzzier and at a slow framerate (~4/ps), and with only a slightly larger screen than on my tilt. When you enter full screen mode, it turns the picture on its side, and has the WM 6 "waiting" multicolored pinwheel constantly flashing...
    When you Alt-Tab back to it from another app, Mobi TV remains in the top left corner, with the previously viewed program in the background. The little box in the middle of the screen with the open programs remains in the forground. The sound continues to be heard from the phone as normal.

If you start the app after you connect to redfly, you get a message that Mobi TV doesn't support 800x480...

Steve
    11-11-2008 11:39 AM
    I tought I read somewhere that REDFLY cannot access your poe camera???

Anyway, I found out today that with my BlackJack II, I can access the camera from the REDFLY. Cool!

Well, apart from one thing - I crash the camera app if I try to record video, but I can start up the camera app and take photos.

I can see a workflow where I'm in a presentation, making notes, and I want to quickly photograph the current PPT slide and quickly drop it into my notes. Hmmm.... very nice :-)
    11-15-2008 07:11 PM
    TomTom 7 works great on the Redfly... It's only limitation is the speed of the processor and GPS in my Tilt. Wish I had a screen this big built into my car...
    11-18-2008 01:24 PM
    NewsGator Go! works fine.

http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/default.aspx

It doesn't always completely recognise the full 800x480 screen, but most of the time it's just fine. I love that it can synchronise with your desktop version of FeedGator too :-)
    11-24-2008 09:32 AM
    I know Opera 9.5 doesn't work (yet), but I've tried the NetFront 3.5 public beta from Access. It works pretty well.

Don
    11-29-2008 11:13 PM
    I did notice this as well. I prefer Docs to Go over Mobile Word, but, I can't type in Docs to Go on the Redfly, way too much lag.

It's interesting because there is no lag at all when using Docs to Go on the 800w not connected to the Redfly.
    I tried Doc to go with Redfly using E-ten M810.

There is no lag. I realize a stronger/faster processor will solve the problem. M810 has about 500Mhz processor. My Treo 500v, on the hands has the lag problem with Docs to go because its processor is 400 ++ Mhz only.

In any case, if you attempt to load large files... and the memory runs very low. The lag problem will re-surface again. :)

Hope this helps!
    12-19-2008 06:25 AM
    In your experience, what is the best Windows Mobile PDF Reader when used with the Redfly? I'm using a VZW Treo 700wx upgraded to WM 6.0.
    12-19-2008 12:55 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD