Compatible Apps

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Please post your experiences (good and bad) about apps running on REDFLY in this thread.

When you code a Windows Mobile app, you can either choose to scale the position of elements on the screen depending on screen size or code exact pixel placement of items. When a developer positions items in a scaled fashion (a percentage of screen size) then that app has a better chance of scaling to a larger resolution display like REDFLY’s on-the-fly and displaying properly.

Note: You/we can’t blame developers for any issues. Until the REDFLY came along, changing screen resolutions on the fly just wasn’t done nor did developers ever expect their apps to be run on screens as large as 800x480 so there are bound to be some problems. Hopefully as the REDFLY becomes more popular, developers will be more motivated to code their apps with multiple resolutions and resolution changing on-the-fly.

As a general rule, if there is anything Celio Corp’s developers can do on our end to make an app work better on REDFLY, we will strive to resolve the issue internally and make bug fixes available in future driver/firmware downloads.

In cases where Celio has little control over an application’s functionality (most of these cases) we will attempt to engage the developer and discuss the feasibly of the developer re-tooling some code to scale better.

We truly appreciate and value any feedback from customers on the matter so please post away.

[Update April 17, 2009]: With the service pack release of the REDFLY phone driver software and firmware updates on March 31, 2009, many issues with applications like Opera 9.5 and other apps like SPB Mobile Shell have been resolved.

Last edited:

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
Hopefully as the REDFLY becomes more popular, developers will be more motivated to code their apps with multiple resolutions and resolution changing on-the-fly.
There are also an increasing number of devices coming on the market with WVGA screens, like the HTC Touch HD and Sony Ericcson Xperia X1. This should push developers to make versions of their devices with support for this screen resolution, which will benefit us Redfly users.
-

dc_in_sf

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think the killer Redfly app is NetHack :)

With the Windows Mobile RDP client the Redfly function keys don't seem to work, which is slightly annoying as I like to RDP into a full Windows box, fire up IE and switch to full screen mode, and it would be nice if the shortcut key (F11) could be used.

Office communicator mobile scales out to the full screen. I've had some visual glitches on background image on the sign in screen, but it is nice to have a full screen chat interface.

Last edited:

nickjay

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
Good Messaging (used to be Goodlink) from Motorola

Hi,

Anyone use Redfly with Good Messaging (used to be Goodlink).

We use this, as this, plus my Samsung Omnia with a Redfly, would be a must purchase decision for me ?

Thanks,

nick

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Some people are having problems with Good. This is one case where we believe we may be able to do something to help fix it on our end but it also may need some tweaks from Motorola. We’re actively working on it with Motorola and have a testing server up-and-running. I’ll post updates to this thread or contact me anytime for the latest.

We currently do not support the Omnia. You can see an updated list of phones at http://www.celiocorp.com/smartphone but it may be a while for the Omnia. Our next big push on drivers is centered on HTC Touch Diamond and Touch Pro. If the Omnia starts selling well, we can move it up on the priority list.

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
I really want to get one of these but I am concerned because this list is not growing.

I have a few specific applications that I would like to know if they are compatible.

HanDBase
Splash Money
eReader
Garmin Mobile XT
Kinoma Play
PDACookbook
Resco File Explorer

Has anyone tried any of these applications?

Even if they dont run at the full 800x480, will they still run on the Redfly?

TIA

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
rc46,

I haven’t tried any of your apps but many of them are on our list to check out. Most apps scale OK at 800x480. Many of the ones that don’t scale still run, they just run the their normal resolution in the top left corner of the REDFLY display.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
An update on Good

Version 4.7 has problems with REDFLY. Versions 4.9 and 5.0 do much better. You can uninstall 4.7 from your phone and install a newer version without much trouble. We have a Good server up-and-running for testing and our testing staff is testing some different phone configurations now.

If anyone is interested in being part of a customer-based Good testing program with REDFLY let me know ? we?re putting together a group of customers who can give us feedback from the street on how Good is running in their environments.

rondcroft

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Apps now working with my redfly

I have the following installed and working great:
Avantgo
BugMe
Ereader (much nicer with the larger screen)
Google maps
Pocket Quicken

kodiakdjd

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get TomTom Navigator working?

I get the start up box, but then it freezes and even after I disconnect RedFly, it still won't come up on the XV6800. I have to reboot my phone and then I can run it again?

flyemhighrockets

Oct 16, 2008
www.flyemhighrockets.com
I have the pocket verifier installed on my phone being able to enter credit card information and approve the credit card all through the phone and the application works great on the redfly. It sizes to the screen great also.

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
After I have been playing with this thing a while I have found that just about everything works on the redfly. Some applications take advantage of the entire screen and some don't.

Some of my favorites that look great on the screen are
-Documents ToGo
-Google Maps
-GoToMyPC
-HanDBase
-SplashMoney
-GoogleMaps
-Opra 8.65
-One Note Mobile
-PDA Cookbook
-Picsel PDF Viewer
-Resco Photo Viewer
-Resco Explorer
-Select Radio
-Splash Shopper

It seems that Windows Media Player, and Kinoma Player would work fine if someone would just develop a skin for the screen size.

Charles@Kinoma

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
It seems that Windows Media Player, and Kinoma Player would work fine if someone would just develop a skin for the screen size.
Kinoma Play works great on high-resolution Windows Mobile devices, but the Redfly is not a Windows Mobile device.

My understanding is that it's not practical to use with multimedia applications, even if it was possible.

-- Charles Wiltgen

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Kinoma Play works great on high-resolution Windows Mobile devices, but the Redfly is not a Windows Mobile device.

My understanding is that it's not practical to use with multimedia applications, even if it was possible.

-- Charles Wiltgen

Charles,

You would need to get the compression of the video displayed through Kinoma down to a level that the Redfly could handle (either USB or Bluetooth).

It's my understanding that the compression levels aren't anywhere near that good yet.

(And of course Celio would have to support the video as well in their drivers...)

Charles@Kinoma

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
You would need to get the compression of the video displayed through Kinoma down to a level that the Redfly could handle (either USB or Bluetooth).
I'm afraid that's not how it works. By definition, anything you hear or see has already been decompressed. Since Redfly has no CPU, it can't decode compressed media itself.

-- Charles Wiltgen

WinTakeAll

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Nav N Go iGo 8 (much better than TomTom) works fine

I was glad to see that my favorite navigation software works fine: iGo 8 from Nav N Go.

Its main map display uses the full size and detail of the Redfly's 800x480 dispay while the controls layout is scaled properly using the built-in 400x240 skin scaled to 2x size. That means the graphics for the controls show a little bit jaggied, but I can live with that.

The moving map updates reasonably well, but of course nowhere near as fluid as on the local display.

Last edited:

WinTakeAll

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
CorePlayer Mobile works well

My favorite media player CorePlayer mobile works well too. This app plays just about any media file you throw at it including DivX/Xvid/H.264 videos. And it has a nice built-in YouTube client.

At first there was no graphics, not even stills like album art. Then i found a setting to make it work: Set "Video output" to "GDI" (changed from the default of "Intel XScale" on my HP iPAQ 910c). This setting is under Menu->Tools->Preferences->Select Page->Video.

When you're at the settings do change the Network->YouTube Format setting to H264 (high quality) as well unless your device/connection doesn't work with it. And set your YouTube user name there to access your favorites.

Note though that this is not really a solution for the Redfly's lack of true video support: As long as uncompressed video data is sent over USB/Bluetooth that won't be fast. I see about two frames per second with full-screen video on my Redfly... :-(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786