Compatible Apps

SpriteGF

Jul 8, 2006
Visit site
Documents To Go actually works pretty poorly on the Redfly (with a Palm Treo 800w) when I type; the response is absolutely atrocious and it's constantly refreshing the screen. Typing a sentence causes it to lag behind, oh, about 10 to 15 seconds.

I had to switch to Pocket Word (which responds to my keystrokes instantly).

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Documents To Go actually works pretty poorly on the Redfly (with a Palm Treo 800w) when I type; the response is absolutely atrocious and it's constantly refreshing the screen. Typing a sentence causes it to lag behind, oh, about 10 to 15 seconds.

I did notice this as well. I prefer Docs to Go over Mobile Word, but, I can't type in Docs to Go on the Redfly, way too much lag.

It's interesting because there is no lag at all when using Docs to Go on the 800w not connected to the Redfly.

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
navigation

iGuidance 3.0 works fine as does the Alltel Navagation Telenav service although finding a place to put the Redfly in the car might not be practical, it would be cool to get to use that big screen on the road.

redbird

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site

I looked around for Pocket Word here and google. Would you mind posting a link?

saescott

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Stock Quote & News Programs

I have tested out 2 stock quote programs, and both work amazingly:

1) Quotrek (quotrek.com).
I have tested this out in 2 Java environments, the one included with my ATT Tilt, as well as IBM websphere. It works great on both, allowing for much larger quote screens, and charts that extend much farther back than with the regular screen on my phone.

2) Pocket Quotes (pocketquotes.net). As with Quotrek, the program runs smoothly and takes full advantage of the larger format.

3) Wall Street Journal
This little app (online.wsj.com/public/page/mobile_download.html) gives you all the news from WSJ, Barron's and Marketwatch in a nicely packaged interface. It works great.

In addition to these WM programs, I use logmein.com to get into my office PC to view the service that I use there. I saved a workspace sized to the Redfly's screen dimensions, so with one tap I have a screen fully configured to the proper size.

So in all, the redfly has worked out beautifully for these (and all other) applications.

Good Luck
Steve

Last edited:

Q

Dec 1, 2000
Visit site
Kinoma Play works great on high-resolution Windows Mobile devices, but the Redfly is not a Windows Mobile device.

Seems to me it's analogous to having hi-res video on a PC and watching it on a big-screen TV rather than a 17" monitor. I agree that not everyone's setting that up yet. In more and more situations, though, it makes sense--if you have the hardware, use it.

My understanding is that it's not practical to use with multimedia applications, even if it was possible.

Again, looking at my PC/TV analogy above, it seems worthwhile, if not yet feasible. Just watching a short video clip? Pulling out the smartphone is the simplest and easiest way to go. Suppose, though, you want to watch something longer. Suppose you want to show it to multiple other people at once. That's a lot easier if you have that bigger screen.

Also, this seems a logical next step for mobile video--appeal to potential users who wouldn't watch without a bigger screen.

Charles@Kinoma

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Suppose you want to show it to multiple other people at once. That's a lot easier if you have that bigger screen.
I agree, but it's not possible possible to squirt full-screen video from your phone to a CPU-less terminal via Bluetooth, etc. At that point you'll need a netbook ($350 now, <$200 next year).

-- Charles Wiltgen

btate0121

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
here's my WORKING app list.. i might add that i love my redfly.. still not perfect.. but i love it.

Apps
  • SPB Diary
  • Olive Tree Bible Reader
  • Pocket E-Sword
  • Ereader
  • MS Live search (FANTASTIC in gps mode)
  • My Mobiler - a sidenote about this app.. it doesn't run ON the phone. what it does is display the phones screen on your pc.. and allow you to use the pc mouse and keyboard to operate the phone. it's great for PRETENDING to do work while shooting out personal emails and txt msgs... not that that's what I use it for or anything. So when you connect to the redfly via bluetooth.. it actually changes the resolution of the display on the PC screen (see the screenshot attached)
  • RSS Hub
  • Total Commander
these are the apps I use most and they all work.

another side note.. for those worried about what works and doesn't work.. it's mostly graphic intensive apps that don't work (video players and some games).

Last edited:

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
[*]My Mobiler - a sidenote about this app.. it doesn't run ON the phone. what it does is display the phones screen on your pc.. and allow you to use the pc mouse and keyboard to operate the phone. it's great for PRETENDING to do work while shooting out personal emails and txt msgs... not that that's what I use it for or anything. So when you connect to the redfly via bluetooth.. it actually changes the resolution of the display on the PC screen (see the screenshot attached)

Soti Pocket controller does this too. (tried it after I read your post.)

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Also Softmaker Office works tethered with a small amount of lag. Too much over bluetooth.

Microsoft reader also works which I find interesting because it does not work in WM 6.1 in landscape due to cleartype issues. It is however a little fuzzy.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Both eReader and Mobipocket reader work quite well. Mobipocket can be turned to landscape mode, and it's like reading a paper book. About the same size too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)