800W won't wake up with Redfly Installed

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I just got my Redfly and when my 800W goes to sleep it will not wake up when I press a button (no matter how many times I press them). I can call my phone and get it to wake up. I have uninstalled Redfly and it goes back to working just as it should.

I have the following installed:

Pocket Quicken
eWallet
Spb Bakcup
SpB Time
TC Treo Alerts
TCPMP Media Player
Documents to Go
Skyfire
Opera 9.5 Beta
Spb Mobile Shell
Spb Pocket Plus Beta

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: Even though I can't wake it up, I can connect it back to the Redfly and it will display on the Redfly and function okay.

Last edited:

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
Wish I could help, but I'm not having that issue. However, it does frequently take me 2 button presses to wake mine up with Redfly installed. I have no clue if the 2 issues are related.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Wish I could help, but I'm not having that issue. However, it does frequently take me 2 button presses to wake mine up with Redfly installed. I have no clue if the 2 issues are related.

Yeah, I really like it. But, obviously I can't keep removing and re-installing the Redfly drivers when I want to use the Redfly.

sixftunda

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
Well, I see you have Mobile Shell on your list. I could not run it with the Redfly on my i760.
You have a lot of 3rd party apps, you need to do a hard reset, install Redfly first and see if the problem happens again, if not, then load your others one at a time to see if you can pinpoint the problem.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Mobile Shell could be the culprit. I did a hard reset and went back to backup from before I installed several apps, Mobile Shell being one of them. It seems to be working just fine. I do have to press a button twice to get the 800W to come on. That is talked about in another thread.

I will experiment more when I have time.

Is there anyone running Mobile Shell on an 800W and using Redfly?

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Zero problems with my Redfly/800w combo, but I do not use Mobile Shell.

I haven't had any problems today since I removed Mobile Shell last night. Maybe something can be done in a future update. I really like the Mobile Shell interface. But, I really do like the Redfly. I have shown it to two colleagues today and I think both are going to place an order. One of them also uses Mobile Shell.

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
I haven't had any problems today since I removed Mobile Shell last night. Maybe something can be done in a future update. I really like the Mobile Shell interface. But, I really do like the Redfly. I have shown it to two colleagues today and I think both are going to place an order. One of them also uses Mobile Shell.

Maybe you should inquire with SPB Mobile Shell to see if they can fix their software. I have sworn off SPB software because I find that it is way too buggy with many phones. IMO, when tweaking the UI as much as they do they should be writing separate programs for each phone. Their one size fits all approach does not work out very well.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Many of the Today Screen plugins like Mobile Shell etc. have problems on REDFLY. The apps freak out when told to on-the-fly switch to a screen resolution of 800 pixels wide.

Celio Corp is close to launching a develop certification program that can help developers code their apps in a way that anticipates the resolution changing back and forth. We really hope SPB joins the program – we’ll be sure to contact them and give them all the details. If you guys as customers submit requests for SPB and others to try and become compatible, that would help out the process a lot.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Update: I had been running just fine since I did the restore prior to installing Mobile Shell. Tonight I decided to see what would happen if I re-installed Mobile Shell. As long as I don't have the Now screen display when I turn the device on, everything still works just fine. I just can't launch anything that is actually Mobile Shell related, which is not a problem.

So I guess the trick if you do want to use Mobile Shell is to install Redfly first and then install Mobile Shell and disable the Now screen on startup.

I am liking the Redfly the more I use it. I really wish Sprint would get EVDO in our area.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
The RedFly doesn't work with many 3rd party apps. Generally that is the culprit if you see something causing a problem. I have an 800w and mine works as advertised. The two push power on with the 800w happens whether you have RedFly drivers installed or not. All of the people I know with the 800w have the same issue with the power button. I do use the keygaurd maybe if I shut that off it mike fix that. I will do some testing and report back.

Real VGA also works fine with the RedFly. The resolution copies the phone on the RedFly and some programs give you more real estate as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs